Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reveal Part 3 - AR Glasses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an idea/speculation. Instead of a HUD, Tesla will announce AR Glasses that will show the driver all useful information such as speed, speed limit, directions, battery level etc. Model 3 will be shipped as revealed without a traditional dash, if you don't want to see this information on the centre screen you need to purchase these AR glasses. All Model S/Xs produced from April 1st will include the AR vision. For older S/Xs and Model 3 it will be a $2,500 accessory.

Considering Elon's obsession with aesthetics, I doubt he will ever make drivers of his cars don glasses in order to drive them. Consider how they would look when placed over the glasses of someone who already needs corrective lenses.

I strongly suspect we'll see a HUD instead. Here's hoping we know for sure within 4 months...

With the large amount of glass alone I feel like many drivers will be wearing sunglasses. This would have to fit in with sunglasses and eyeglasses... Such a device would be bulky, awkward, and/or painful... sucks enough wearing 3D glasses at IMAX.

I think an OLED display embedded into the windshield is much simpler and would work with anyone with any glasses and in direct sunlight.

panasonic makes one too

Last edited:
Here is an idea/speculation. Instead of a HUD, Tesla will announce AR Glasses that will show the driver all useful information such as speed, speed limit, directions, battery level etc. Model 3 will be shipped as revealed without a traditional dash, if you don't want to see this information on the centre screen you need to purchase these AR glasses. All Model S/Xs produced from April 1st will include the AR vision. For older S/Xs and Model 3 it will be a $2,500 accessory.
I had an epiphany about this while walking the dogs a few days ago. I think it would be a great idea and easily allow the driver or anyone in the car to see AR. Using a HUD would only work for the driver and would probably be more expensive and complicated. Since the new supercomputer is already included in all cars being built, they would just need some sort or wireless technology to send the signal to the AR glasses. Theoretically it would be possible to add to all cars with AP 2 technology. Imagine night vision or virtual gauges where regular gauges would normally be located. Larger glasses could sit over prescription glasses. If it breaks, you'd still be able to drive, just without the AR features or stop by the SC to pick up a new pair. Broken windshield wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

BMW and others are coming out with helmet prototypes and Tesla has hired several AR hardware guys over the past year.

Last edited:
This has been speculated about in other threads. It's not a unique idea. You'll be able to find them if you do a site search.

As I've stated before, this would be a deal killer. This falls under the category of weirdmobile. I wear glasses. I have yet to find a set of safety goggles, dusk goggles, sun shades, gas mask, night vision goggles, etc. that wasn't extremely uncomfortable.

I highly doubt anybody will want to put on a set of glasses and take them off just to drive a car. If there's going to be any form of "augmented reality" it'll be projected on the front window.

That being said, the only feature I'd like to see of that "augmented reality" is linked to navigation, a highlight of exactly what lane I'm supposed to be taking when it says turn in such and such metres.

Reactions: Red Sage
No, Tesla wont offer their own AR glasses, there are better corporations which will deliver them (like Apple/Magic Leap). By the year 2018 the first AR glasses will hit market and people start buying them. The M3 will have no HUD or anything, just the center console for people without any AR glasses to see the speedometer. However when you enter the vehicle with your AR glasses, the Tesla application will kick in and you will see all the dashboard info right in front of your face. In 2020 the AR glasses will become mainstream and by 2025 there will be more people wearing AR glasses then smartphones today. Tesla knows this and therefore plans to make M3 interior as it is. There will be no major changes to interior, just the added support for 3rd party AR glasses.

You must mean Microsoft because Apple doesn't have these and Magic Leap has vaporware.
Nope, microsoft Hololense AR glasses are cool, but will be destroyed by AR glasses released by Magic Leap and Apple in 2018-2019. Apple is working on their own AR glasses for a long time. I will not argue with you weather Magic Leap is vaporware or not as I do not have time for this. Do your homework first.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
I will not argue with you weather Magic Leap is vaporware or not as I do not have time for this. Do your homework first.
They either have a product at market or they don't... heck they call their holographic waveguide a "photonic lightfield chip" as if it's truly unique.

They've been making promises for over 2 years now.
Vaporware - Wikipedia

(and by all accounts they are optimistic about a late 2017 launch) keep in mind the magic leap one doesn't even have falcon wing doors to cause such a delay.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3
No, Tesla wont offer their own AR glasses, there are better corporations which will deliver them (like Apple/Magic Leap). By the year 2018 the first AR glasses will hit market and people start buying them. The M3 will have no HUD or anything, just the center console for people without any AR glasses to see the speedometer. However when you enter the vehicle with your AR glasses, the Tesla application will kick in and you will see all the dashboard info right in front of your face. In 2020 the AR glasses will become mainstream and by 2025 there will be more people wearing AR glasses then smartphones today. Tesla knows this and therefore plans to make M3 interior as it is. There will be no major changes to interior, just the added support for 3rd party AR glasses.

Do you have a crystal ball or something? Do you have any Tesla links to verify any of this?

Before jumping to the conclusion of VR Goggles, perhaps consider that VR is inherently all about the representation and manipulation of a 3-D space, which is something that is core to any self-driving technology. The knowledge base and skills of these hires may be applied to the internal AutoPilot 2.x engine, and not even be externally visible.

That said, adding all this up, I'm guessing that improving on a HUD display inside the car may be the most likely result.

The knowledge base and skills of these hires may be applied to the internal AutoPilot 2.x engine, and not even be externally visible.
No, someone who designs holographic HUDs and another who was the lead in interior design of the Porsche Mission E (His education is in Design as well).
It is pretty clear what they'd be doing... and it won't be internal to the Autopilot software. If anything it'd be user facing.

That said, adding all this up, I'm guessing that improving on a HUD display inside the car may be the most likely result.
Now that's probably spot on. :)