Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reveal your VIN before it appears on your account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there

Found the method of reveal your VIN before it appears on your account. Wondering if we can make a list to collect more information to see what it really tells any thing.

First thing, how to see your VIN before it appears on your account: fire up a Google Chrome web browser, log into your Tesla account. Click on the "manage" button, wait until it loads your "overview". Right click on the page and then "view page source". Now you can see that page in it's source code format. From here, press Ctrl+F (Find) and search for word "5YJ". If you see something like this "vin":"5 YJ XXXXX X K F 418XXX", you have your VIN. Below chart is a demonstration of what each character means.

vin-decode.jpg

Now let's start to collect some info so we have a better picture of it:

Order Date: May 16th
Model Ordered: M3 SR+ BLK/BLK/18"
Tesla Account VIN?: No
Tesla Account VIN date:
Source Code VIN?: KF418XXX (Mask the last 3 digits)
Source Code VIN date: May 26th
Source Code VIN matches the final VIN?:
Delivery date: No

Thanks in advance!

Ok - so I figured I'd try this - not expecting to find anything. I'm certain this is wrong because from what I can tell, it's the VIN for a 2016 Model X. So in my case I'm pretty sure this won't be my VIN :)

Hi @martind3

I’ve plugged my VIN to a free VIN checker and it says it’s a 2019 Model 3 Standard with no history. Seems right to me. For the example above, I’ve masked some characters with X. More specific for the BC resident, if we have a valid VIN, we can ask Tesla to lock down the incentives from BC government.

Order Date: May 17th
Tesla Account VIN date:
Source Code VIN?: KF4189XX (Mask the last 3 digits)
Source Code VIN date: May 27th (First time to check)
Delivery date: No

Reactions: TomLee
@TomLee

Order Date: May 12th
Tesla Account VIN: - Not Available -
Tesla Account VIN date: - Not Available -
Source Code VIN: KF413XXX
Source Code VIN matches the final VIN: - Not Available -
Delivery date: June 12th (Previously May 31st)

Reactions: TomLee
@TomLee

Order Date: May 12th
Source Code VIN: KF413XXX
Delivery date: June 12th (Previously May 31st)

Thanks! Interesting to see 4000+ VIN number increase in 4 days (12th to 16th). 1000+ cars per day assuming numbers were continuous and in order.

Reactions: nagendra
Just made a phone call to the dealer. Those VIN# seems to be legitimate VINs! So if you see the VIN, you already have your car exists some where. The dealer said due to the large amount of delivering, my delivery date maybe around mid-June.

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
Just made a phone call to the dealer. Those VIN# seems to be legitimate VINs! So if you see the VIN, you already have your car exists some where. The dealer said due to the large amount of delivering, my delivery date maybe around mid-June.

That's what I've been wondering. (1) Are they making M3s in sufficient numbers such that they can be delivered to BC (in addition to all other jurisdictions) within "2-4" weeks, and (2) if so, what delay (if any) are we looking at re: the bottle neck of physical delivery to the customer.

If middle of June, that puts us within the estimated timeframe. I know they said they were reserving the rebates as quickly as they can. Maybe they only show in on the website once they have? (Just wild speculation as I look for rationality in the world). I'd totally chill (at least in theory) if I knew I had a VIN and the rebate had been reserved (although I'd bet dollars to donuts the fund gets topped up without a gap, at least until after delivery of our cars).

Interesting to see 4000+ VIN number increase in 4 days (12th to 16th). 1000+ cars per day assuming numbers were continuous and in order.

That roughly jives with recent speculation:

When producing vehicles in the US, automakers have to register the cars’ Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

We have been tracking those new VINs as part of Tesla’s Model 3 production ramp up.

Over the last few months, Tesla’s Model 3 production stopped ramping up and stabilized at around 5,000 units per week.​

That's what I've been wondering. (1) Are they making M3s in sufficient numbers such that they can be delivered to BC (in addition to all other jurisdictions) within "2-4" weeks, and (2) if so, what delay (if any) are we looking at re: the bottle neck of physical delivery to the customer.

If middle of June, that puts us within the estimated timeframe. I know they said they were reserving the rebates as quickly as they can. Maybe they only show in on the website once they have? (Just wild speculation as I look for rationality in the world). I'd totally chill (at least in theory) if I knew I had a VIN and the rebate had been reserved (although I'd bet dollars to donuts the fund gets topped up without a gap, at least until after delivery of our cars).

The sales person said he can't reserve mine even I've had a legit VIN 'cause there were lots of them ahead of us. He did say he'll do it ASAP.

The sales person said he can't reserve mine even I've had a legit VIN 'cause there were lots of them ahead of us.

Us humans are funny. I would, without hesitation, tell you not to worry in the least, as I'm 95% sure the fund will be topped up (and I'd bet $ on it with those self-assessed odds!), but the reptilian brain in me--when it comes to my car--fears otherwise as I watch the doomsday clock count down!!

upload_2019-5-27_13-30-11.png

Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

Bottle neck is definitely the delivery center. Friend and I went by today after my meeting at JJ Beans, it's as expected bit of a gong show.

I heard they booked the PNE last year in June. My bet is that will happen again this year if there is still a big backup then, as they will want to try and hit their sales numbers for Q2.

From the rebate tracker, it seems to have slowed down a bit over the last couple of days (although that's just a quick eyeball--not running a spreadsheet), so maybe they can catch up from the May 1st rush over the next month without the logistical nightmare of a mass delivery.

Order Date: May 9th
Model Ordered: M3 SR+ WHT/BLK/18"
Tesla Account VIN date:
Source Code VIN?: KF403XXX (Mask the last 3 digits)
Source Code VIN date: May 27th
Delivery date: June 11

Order Date: May 14th
Model Ordered: M3 SR+ BLU/BLK/18"
Source Code VIN: KF414XXX
Source Code VIN date: May 27th
Delivery date: June 12th