Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reveal your VIN before it appears on your account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also didn't complete the insurance part as my sales guy told us not to.....my original delivery date was June 1, 2019. Last week it got pushed back to June 13th, so I called Tesla and was told I actually should complete the insurance part, as in just upload a picture of the tesla logo or icbc logo. I did that days ago but no VIN ever showed up, i was only able to view page source to see the VIN.

I then called Tesla again and gave them the VIN number, they said it's correct, our vehicle is now in Vancouver, but I have not received a call from a DA at all.

I don't know what's going on anymore, I text my tesla sales guy and he never answers.

Disappointing customer service.

Just checked and my delivery date on the source code--knowing we're all trying to read tea leaves--says June – August.

Order Date: May 16th
Model Ordered: M3 SR+ BLK/BLK/18"
Tesla Account VIN?: No
Source Code VIN?: KF418XXX (Mask the last 3 digits)​

I don't see a spot to "accept" or "decline". My advisor said don't worry about it for now, so maybe once the VIN appears that button will as well? I'm, guessing they are waiting to confirm the payoff amount, and will only do that later in the process given the paperwork backlog.

The offer is at the mid-low range of Black Book trade-in value, but, with the 13% tax savings, I'd rather not go through the hassle of trying to sell privately.

View attachment 412950

I was hoping the same thing on trade-in value before. Tesla sales never answer that directly to me: is the trade in with Tesla before tax or after tax? If you do your calculation, seems like the trade in value is after tax. Hence: (Car price) x (tax) - (trade-in value) = (final price). Not what you think: ((Car price) - (trade-in value)) x (tax)= (final price).

For the "accept" or "decline", I don't remember exactly how. What I remember is that I click that blue "change" and then do it there.

I don't think it was a placeholder. Prior to my delivery date getting deferred from May 25 to June 7 the VIN was showing up on my account page. Then it disappeared when the delivery date changed, and it went missing from the page source code as well. Now the same VIN has come back into the page source code and I don't expect it will be on my account page or MVPA till one week before June 7. My point is the VIN didn't change so unless the first one was a placeholder, I'm assuming it's the real thing.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you were hooked with that VIN long time ago.:)

I was hoping the same thing on trade-in value before. Tesla sales never answer that directly to me: is the trade in with Tesla before tax or after tax? If you do your calculation, seems like the trade in value is after tax. Hence: (Car price) x (tax) - (trade-in value) = (final price). Not what you think: ((Car price) - (trade-in value)) x (tax)= (final price).

The way Tesla sets up its webpage to show the total purchase price is brutal to try and decipher (not to mention just plain wrong!). I suspect the final contract is clear(er).

But the way the tax works is that you use the total purchase price of the car to figure out the PST rate (5% GST + 8% PST--in our case because we're $80 over $55k with the $100 A/C charge). Thus, the rate of tax is 13%. But the amount you're taxed on is the purchase price less the trade in value. So you save 13% of your trade-in value.

BTW, this email really helps to explain what we're waiting for in terms of communication/next-steps. Knowing this, I should probably kill the alerts for this forum and get some work done!

Vancouver BC VIN .

The way Tesla sets up its webpage to show the total purchase price is brutal to try and decipher (not to mention just plain wrong!). I suspect the final contract is clear(er).

But the way the tax works is that you use the total purchase price of the car to figure out the PST rate (5% GST + 8% PST--in our case because we're $80 over $55k with the $100 A/C charge). Thus, the rate of tax is 13%. But the amount you're taxed on is the purchase price less the trade in value. So you save 13% of your trade-in value.

BTW, this email really helps to explain what we're waiting for in terms of communication/next-steps. Knowing this, I should probably kill the alerts for this forum and get some work done!

Vancouver BC VIN .

At the same time I post this here, I texted my Tesla sales asking him if a trade-in will lower the tax from 13% to 12%. This was what he replied to me:
"It's always 13% tax for Tesla, irrespective of trade in or not."

At the same time I post this here, I texted my Tesla sales asking him if a trade-in will lower the tax from 13% to 12%. This was what he replied to me:
"It's always 13% tax for Tesla, irrespective of trade in or not."
He's right, but Tesla does a lousy job explaining what that actually means in practical terms.

The tax rate will still be 13% (assuming no $80 price reduction), but the purchase price with a trade-in is deemed to be reduced by the amount of the trade in.

See:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/t...6-motor-vehicle-dealers-leasing-companies.pdf

Trade-ins - If you sell a new or used vehicle and accept goods as a trade-in as part or all of the consideration from your customer, in certain situations you may deduct the value of the trade-in from the taxable purchase price to calculate the PST payable. This reduction in the taxable purchase price does not affect the PST rate (i.e. the PST rate is based on the purchase price before the trade-in is deducted).

upload_2019-5-28_13-53-19.png

He's right, but Tesla does a lousy job explaining what that actually means in practical terms.

The tax rate will still be 13% (assuming no $80 price reduction), but the purchase price with a trade-in is deemed to be reduced by the amount of the trade in.

See:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/t...6-motor-vehicle-dealers-leasing-companies.pdf

Trade-ins - If you sell a new or used vehicle and accept goods as a trade-in as part or all of the consideration from your customer, in certain situations you may deduct the value of the trade-in from the taxable purchase price to calculate the PST payable. This reduction in the taxable purchase price does not affect the PST rate (i.e. the PST rate is based on the purchase price before the trade-in is deducted).

View attachment 412975

If a trade-in does not lower the tax bracket, it brings less benefit for us (tax saving based on your trade-in car value, not based on your new Tesla total value). Everyone who sale their own car instead of trade it in know that they should sale it for at least 13% more or otherwise they lose money. In my case, I sold (collected deposit only) my car almost 60% (or say 40% depend on which one you put down as the denominator) higher than Tesla offered to me.

If a trade-in does not lower the tax bracket, it brings less benefit for us (tax saving based on your trade-in car value, not based on your new Tesla total value). Everyone who sale their own car instead of trade it in know that they should sale it for at least 13% more or otherwise they lose money. In my case, I sold (collected deposit only) my car almost 60% (or say 40% depend on which one you put down as the denominator) higher than Tesla offered to me.

Agreed. Leaving aside any "hassle" factor, if you can sell your car for more than 113% of the Tesla trade-in value, you're coming out ahead. So, if Tesla offers you $10k trade-in, that's the equivalent of $11,300 in a third-party sale. Anything you can get above that is gravy.

I think where a trade might makes more sense is where the value of your existing car is higher. For example, at $30k, you'd have to sell for >$34k to start pocketing $, so the same % leads to a bigger $.

Model Ordered: M3; SR+; Red over B&W; 18" Aero; FSD
Tesla Account VIN?:
Tesla Account VIN date:
Source Code VIN?: (Mask the last 3 digits) 5YJ3E1EA0KF407XXX
Source Code VIN date: May 28, 2019
Source Code VIN matches the final VIN?:
Delivery date: June 12, 2019 (est)
When did you place your order?

Where you picking up?

I don't think it was a placeholder. Prior to my delivery date getting deferred from May 25 to June 7 the VIN was showing up on my account page. Then it disappeared when the delivery date changed, and it went missing from the page source code as well. Now the same VIN has come back into the page source code and I don't expect it will be on my account page or MVPA till one week before June 7. My point is the VIN didn't change so unless the first one was a placeholder, I'm assuming it's the real thing.
My MVPA showed up on my account page tonight with the VIN number in it. Same one that has been in source code for a week, and same one that was showing on my account page several weeks ago before my May 25th date got deferred to June 7. VIN not showing on account page yet. No calls from Tesla yet, hoping I can get it before June 7.

Reactions: TomLee