Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revealing your Model X to your family/kids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm keeping the new Tesla Model X on order a secret as much as possible, especially to my kids.
Though my son caught me watching Tesla review videos at the weekend!

Who has suggestions or videos of how best to surprise your kids? Should be better than Christmas.

Thinking of using phone/watch to do a summon command to open the garage door, have the car drive itself out, then open the Falcon doors.

Anyone got some other choreography or ideas/tips? YouTube links?

Thanks!

I got the Founder of the Model X from the first referral program. The kids knew that I was getting the Model X, but not the Founder and not Performance or Ludi.

We picked it up and drove to the highway. It was so hilarious to see there faces when I accelerated :D They scream! Still talking about it even though it is over a year ago :)

Just beware....
After I picked up the Model X, I drove it over to the soccer field where Mom and the kids were, so when the soccer game was over they could get into the new car and see it for the first time. All plans were thwarted; as I went to switch the car seats into the New X, I was instantly swarmed the second the falcon wing doors went up, and spent the next 30 minutes explaining the car to 5-6 onlookers who had 120 questions about it. The kids still had a nice surprise, but It definitely didn't go as intended.

I'm keeping the new Tesla Model X on order a secret as much as possible, especially to my kids.
Though my son caught me watching Tesla review videos at the weekend!

Who has suggestions or videos of how best to surprise your kids? Should be better than Christmas.

Thinking of using phone/watch to do a summon command to open the garage door, have the car drive itself out, then open the Falcon doors.

Anyone got some other choreography or ideas/tips? YouTube links?

Thanks!
Well, if they don't mind missing delivery, I'd pick your kids up from school (or soccer ^), and have them look around for you etc. Go from there.

Reactions: modamoda
Hopefully your wife knows. ;)

"Guy gives Model X to future ex as part of divorce settlement".

I would slow-play this big time.

Oh as a surprise to the family, we're renting a Model X for the holidays.

And when the kids are sad that we have to return it..

BAMMMM. PSYCHE suckas. It's ours baby.

Oh and do good in school, no college money left for you.

The day I picked up our S, my wife was across town at her parents' house with the kids. They knew I was looking for one, but didn't know the timeline. I showed up with the S about 15 minutes before the time they usually leave, swapped it with the car she drove, and hid around the corner with the camera. Was almost thwarted by the in-laws who came out first and said "whose car is this?!" Fortunately they understood and played along when I appeared and told them what was going on. Wife and kids came out shortly after and were blown away. Totally worth it!

• Funny
Reactions: nasatech
We got an S with the rear facing seats (one of the main reasons we bought it, as we have 2 kids perfectly sized for them.) I went on eBay and bought 2 matching Matchbox cars and set them on the kids’ seats.

When we pulled into their preschool after taking delivery, we popped the trunk and they saw “their” seats and a cool matching little Tesla of their own. They were psyched and helped them to “claim” their space.

To future owners: definitely keep it a surprise from your kids until after delivery.

I made the mistake of telling my 7 yo daughter as soon as we ordered the X, and she was super excited... we would watch youtube videos together every night.

Unfortunately, we had two failed attempts at delivery due to issues we found with the vehicle, and on both times she was on the verge of tears when she found out that we wouldn't be taking the X home. On the third attempt, my wife and I went alone (just in case), and surprised her when picking her up from school instead. :cool: