Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse camera issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else still experiencing blacked out/frozen images when reversing? I've seen it mentioned a few times in some of the fw threads but doesn't seem like its a widespread issue. Service center just told me to reboot because they think its a software issue. Well I almost hit someone walking by last week because the image was frozen from earlier. Been dealing this since December so I think I'm running out of patience. I have a thread with support that hasn't gone anymore and just booked another service appointment.

Had this more than a couple of times. MCU reboot fixes, but still slightly disconcerting...
Igsf2pY.png

Your rearview camera is failing and will need to be replaced. Happened to me, it was replaced by a rover in my garage. Their suggestion that it is software related is utter nonsense as we are all running the same rearview camera software and would all be having the same issue. If they bothered to check your data log they would see an error indicating rear view camera failure. That would require them to actually put some effort into the diagnosis however, easier to just tell you to reboot.

Reactions: Bebop
Your rearview camera is failing and will need to be replaced. Happened to me, it was replaced by a rover in my garage. Their suggestion that it is software related is utter nonsense as we are all running the same rearview camera software and would all be having the same issue. If they bothered to check your data log they would see an error indicating rear view camera failure. That would require them to actually put some effort into the diagnosis however, easier to just tell you to reboot.
Thank you, they said they couldn't find anything in the logs but I will tell them that.

This happened to me. The rear camera (as displayed on the screen) would intermittently freeze, go black, go green, go pix-elated, and/or go white. Showed Cincinnati SC pictures of the occurrence during a mileage service visit. They replaced the camera same day without any "arguing." Works flawlessly now.

I had this happen multiple times. Service center diagnosed a loose cable. Only had the car back a week, but thus far it has not crapped out again.

"When cables were moved at left front kick panel or at DAS module or at
the MCU the resistance would fluctuate.
[...]
Recommend replacing back up camera cabling from left rear C-pillar to left front lower kick
panel; from left front lower kick panel to DAS module and from DAS module to MCU."