TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reverse camera issues

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NarTaX, Mar 18, 2018.

1. NarTaX

NarTaX Member

Anyone else still experiencing blacked out/frozen images when reversing? I've seen it mentioned a few times in some of the fw threads but doesn't seem like its a widespread issue. Service center just told me to reboot because they think its a software issue. Well I almost hit someone walking by last week because the image was frozen from earlier. Been dealing this since December so I think I'm running out of patience. I have a thread with support that hasn't gone anymore and just booked another service appointment.

2. cantanko

cantanko Member

Had this more than a couple of times. MCU reboot fixes, but still slightly disconcerting...
    [​IMG]

3. NarTaX

NarTaX Member

Occurs a few days apart but sometimes less than 24 hours even. Sometimes I reboot when I park and it still gets stuck when I get back to the car.

4. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Your rearview camera is failing and will need to be replaced. Happened to me, it was replaced by a rover in my garage. Their suggestion that it is software related is utter nonsense as we are all running the same rearview camera software and would all be having the same issue. If they bothered to check your data log they would see an error indicating rear view camera failure. That would require them to actually put some effort into the diagnosis however, easier to just tell you to reboot.

• Like x 1
  5. NarTaX

NarTaX Member

Thank you, they said they couldn't find anything in the logs but I will tell them that.

6. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

Speaking of reverse camera issues..

Does anyone else have an issue of parking crooked and having to constantly readjust?

7. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

capture some data when it happens, they will be able to view that data and it will show up. There's a FAQ here somewhere that tells you how to capture data with a button click.

8. Brian-MS90D

Brian-MS90D Member

This happened to me. The rear camera (as displayed on the screen) would intermittently freeze, go black, go green, go pix-elated, and/or go white. Showed Cincinnati SC pictures of the occurrence during a mileage service visit. They replaced the camera same day without any "arguing." Works flawlessly now.

9. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

I had this happen multiple times. Service center diagnosed a loose cable. Only had the car back a week, but thus far it has not crapped out again.

"When cables were moved at left front kick panel or at DAS module or at
    the MCU the resistance would fluctuate.
    [...]
    Recommend replacing back up camera cabling from left rear C-pillar to left front lower kick
    panel; from left front lower kick panel to DAS module and from DAS module to MCU."

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I’ve had the occasional glitch. Today when I backed out of my garage all the world was purple.

Rebooting cleared it.