Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Camera Video Lag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone notice a lag in reverse camera video lagging? I only recently started noticing it. I put the car in reverse and the video is sort of choppy. When I open the camera while driving, it displays fine. Only choppy in reverse.Maybe I'll try posting a video tomorrow.

Reactions: WhiteWi
No, but people were reporting Screen Start up was lagging. I know that Exiting YouTube has a long delay. Possibly 35.5 has fixed this. Will go check.

Update: YouTube now immediately goes off when you tap on the X, so 35.5 fixed that. Also the rear camera comes on immediately.

One cool feature they added is this Charging display on the upper right corner of the YouTube screen. Prior to this you couldn’t see your changing indicator because the YouTube screen would block that or you had to rely looking at the charging on the phone.

741A12FC-DB84-4027-BA43-686A0B55802C.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone notice a lag in reverse camera video lagging? I only recently started noticing it. I put the car in reverse and the video is sort of choppy. When I open the camera while driving, it displays fine. Only choppy in reverse.Maybe I'll try posting a video tomorrow.
Yes. Ever since the new update with the updated interface the backup camera has been horrible.
I’m currently downloading 44.30.7, hopefully it fixes it.

appears to be fixed with version 2021.44.30.7

I've had the issue since Xmas update 2020, however the audio (spotify/FM/TuneIn) also "studders" along with the choppy video. It finally got so bad that I almost backed into a pole because the video froze for about 10' of backing up, so I reported it to SC back in November '21. Finally got it in the shop last week, they said there is service bulletin related to the issue which is a recent firmware bug and it will be resolved via another firmware update. I explained that this issue has been present for over a year but service rep said there was nothing that can be done until the bulletin is resolved.

Not sure if it's a culprit, but I do play a lot of Polytopia and sometimes I'll hear the theme music for about 2 seconds when I get into the car after having played an hour or 3 before. Wondering if the car suspends the application instead of killing the process which continues to utilize resources in the background, which could cause the camera and music apps to "studder" when in reverse....

It's just crazy to me that a safety issue like this can go without a solution for so long. What would happen if a child walked behind the car while backing up but I didn't see it because the camera is frozen for a second or two, neverminded the fact that I've almost backed into a couple of poles because it freezes.

Yes!!!! I have this issue too and it’s so annoying! I took to Tesla for this issue and another. They couldn’t duplicate it so they didn’t address it. What do we do?? Keep me posted on what you find out please.