TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reverse limited to 15 mph

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by William13, Nov 21, 2013.

1. William13

William13 Member

Top Gear USA showed the Model S going 60mph in reverse. I just tried going in reverse today and was limited to 15 mph. Comments?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

#2 Lloyd, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    15 mph verified! with firmware 5.0

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Different firmware version?

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

What episode was it? Sounds like fun.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Odd... I'm pretty sure it's always been speed limited in Reverse. Certainly the Roadster always has been.

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

No they didn't. The Leaf went 60 in reverse because Rutt called up a buddy of his at Nissan and they told him how to disable the Leaf's limiter. The Model S wasn't even in that portion of the episode, it was just the Leaf, the 500e, and the Focus (the other two were limited around 20MPH, if I recall). The Model S was the reward for winning the challenges.

7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

That's not how I remember the episode. The backing up competition was between a Fiat, Leaf and Focus. The winner had it's limiter defeated. The Model S wasn't in that part of the show. Or did I miss something?

8. William13

William13 Member

9. Ames

Ames Member

Hilarious...I would love to experience the FULL thrust of a P85+ in reverse...now that would give my passengers something to think about.

I'm going to start a Tesla College IT Intern Bribe Fund to get me this feature :love:

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#10 TEG, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Related:

11. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Well, maybe a little bad, but the show was really bad. Top Gear is on my avoid list. But, to each his own.

12. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

4.X and 5.8 both have reverse speed limited at 15mph. I think that speed is a little too slow. I had to backup about 1/2 a mile and it was tiresome. I think a 25mph would have been a better limit.

13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

I plugged my Linux laptop into the side of my car, fiddled with a hex editor, flipped the right bits, and was able to get full power in reverse. For those who are curious, 0-15 MPH in reverse in the Model S is 0.4 seconds.

Too bad I had the back seat down and a 2x4 sitting in the trunk. Now I need a new touchscreen :eek:

14. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Are you SERIOUS??? OUCH!!!!!!!!

15. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

I would also like to see this limit increased a bit. 25-30 would be more responsible.

16. Effects

Effects Member

True!