Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse made my car go forward [2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 model Y just did this about 30 minutes ago! My car drove forward despite me selecting reverse gear. I verified twice that I was indeed in reverse (R bolded, screen with reverse cameras, reverse sound playing). This is captured on a dash cam video. Rear camera footage and reflection from the car behind me demonstrates that the reverse tail lights are turning on but the car is moving forward instead of backwards! I am on version 2021.24.5

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Dolemite and KenC
My 2021 model Y just did this about 30 minutes ago! My car drove forward despite me selecting reverse gear. I verified twice that I was indeed in reverse (R bolded, screen with reverse cameras, reverse sound playing). This is captured on a dash cam video. Rear camera footage and reflection from the car behind me demonstrates that the reverse tail lights are turning on but the car is moving forward instead of backwards! I am on version 2021.24.5
I should also mention that this is in Chicago IL on a completely flat road. Hold mode is on (NOT on Creep or Roll mode)

Why don't you upload the dashcam footage? I don't know why you would be reversing if there is a car directly behind you?

(moderator note)

I split this off from the thread you posted in, to its own new thread, because that thread was 2 years old. Nothing related to software is relevant now, on a car with current software versions, vs 2 years ago.

===========================================
(regular content post)

This is a pretty bold claim (that the car was operating in the wrong gear). If you have proof of this (which you should, via dashcam video etc), you should open up a complaint with the NTSB stating such, and expect all the scrutiny that should come with that. Gather your proof, then submit a claim with the NTSB.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Why don't you upload the dashcam footage? I don't know why you would be reversing if there is a car directly behind you?
I was reversing to finalize my position during parallel parking. Fortunately I didn’t hit any of the cars (ahead or behind me). Yes I am sharing the video with Tesla support. I think i’ll start with Tesla first before NTSB. Hopefully they can pull up all the info from my car about operating states since I have an exact time.

Can you reproduce this phenomenon? If so, can you please take a video from inside the cabin showing the screen and showing the car moving forward while in Reverse. Tesla Dashcam will not prove anything since it doesn't show what gear was showing on the display.

If you cannot reproduce the issue on camera you most likely will not be able to convince anyone(including Tesla) that it happened. As @jjrandorin said, this is a pretty bold claim.

I know what OP is talking about. I usually have roll mode on, where it’s expected that the car will roll downhill - whichever direction that happens to be - when the brakes are released.

OP is using hold mode, which I’ve found will exhibit the same behavior if very light accelerator is applied (just enough to lift the brake hold but not enough to overcome gravity) - more like the roll behavior when a person might be expecting creep behavior.

The solution is to select a different stopping mode, apply more accelerator or anticipate this behavior in certain edge conditions. It’s probably curable with a software tweak but I wouldn’t characterize it as a major safety issue.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I know what OP is talking about. I usually have roll mode on, where it’s expected that the car will roll downhill - whichever direction that happens to be - when the brakes are released.

OP is using hold mode, which I’ve found will exhibit the same behavior if very light accelerator is applied (just enough to lift the brake hold but not enough to overcome gravity) - more like the roll behavior when a person might be expecting creep behavior.

The solution is to select a different stopping mode, apply more accelerator or anticipate this behavior in certain edge conditions. It’s probably curable with a software tweak but I wouldn’t characterize it as a major safety issue.
Yes! I think this is it. First and only time this has happened and it was when I was going like less than 1 mph.

But you are talking about gravity making the car want to roll forward, in which case it's expected behavior (I'm pretty sure I experienced the same before). However the OP is saying the ground is flat and it doing that (suggesting car is applying power in forward direction when car was fully in reverse). I have never experienced something like that.

I would suggest OP try to verify if ground is truly flat. I remember in another case where people thought the ground was flat and they had a vehicle that had a degree measurement display and the ground actually had a few degrees of slope. Not sure how to test this however in a car without that. Maybe turn off hold mode and throw car into neutral and see if it rolls?

Reactions: chicagodriver