Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse my car into the garage wall - Can I fix this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reversing my X into the garage today just like the end of every trip for the last 2 months. However, I stopped a little short of the wall today, about 30 inches from the wall and since my garage door won't close unless I am less than 24 inches away from the wall, I tapped on the accelerator a little bit since I do not have creep on and the car just floor it and ram right into the wall. Luckily no one was hurt and looks like only the tailgate suffered damages.

Any recommendation on how or where I can get this fix in the Orange County/Los Angeles area?

20180527_162421.jpg 20180527_162416.jpg 20180527_162407.jpg

My wife experienced an almost identical situation to yours with our Model X. So I feel for you. My biggest advise is after choosing a body shop, drive the car until they have all the parts. This could save you months of heart ache without your X. In fact, you might choose your body shop partially on their policy of letting you drive it while you wait for parts. Good Luck.

• Informative
Reactions: polymathic
I was reversing my X into the garage today just like the end of every trip for the last 2 months. However, I stopped a little short of the wall today, about 30 inches from the wall and since my garage door won't close unless I am less than 24 inches away from the wall, I tapped on the accelerator a little bit since I do not have creep on and the car just floor it and ram right into the wall.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by “tapped the accelerator”? Very light pressure on the pedal results in very slow speed. I find I can easily drive 1-2 mph in the Tesla, without having to ride the brake like my old BMW.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by “tapped the accelerator”? Very light pressure on the pedal results in very slow speed. I find I can easily drive 1-2 mph in the Tesla, without having to ride the brake like my old BMW.
I applied light pressure to the accelerator like I always do to inch backward. I stopped by the service center today and they submitted a request to support to review my log to see if it's indeed an issue of the car or if it was my fault. I am hoping they claim responsibility and fixes it for me for free. I am also putting out quote request to multiple PDR shops to see how much it would cost to fix.

This won’t help with your current damage...
But will likely be helpful for others.
I love this item.
View attachment 304504
Installed 2 sets.
Victus Garage Vehicle Parking Block, Black Heavy Duty Rubber Curb with 6 High Reflective Yellow Targets for Car, Truck, RV and Trailer Stop Aid, 19.7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VLG9YM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_wkilFgfgnDcHJ
View attachment 304505
View attachment 304506

I was just thinking about something like this. How did you secure yours to the floor?

I applied light pressure to the accelerator like I always do to inch backward. I stopped by the service center today and they submitted a request to support to review my log to see if it's indeed an issue of the car or if it was my fault. I am hoping they claim responsibility and fixes it for me for free. I am also putting out quote request to multiple PDR shops to see how much it would cost to fix.
Interesting, if there is some edge case where the accelerator misinterprets input it might suggest that some of the SUA cases might be legitimate software issues. Of course, if they come back and say that they detected some high percentage throttle for some brief instant and you can't convince them otherwise, it'll just get chalked up to driver error. As much as I believe that most SUA cases are probably driver error, the simple fact is no electronic system is foolproof.

In any case, good luck with the repairs.

This won’t help with your current damage...
But will likely be helpful for others.
I love this item.
View attachment 304504
Installed 2 sets.
Victus Garage Vehicle Parking Block, Black Heavy Duty Rubber Curb with 6 High Reflective Yellow Targets for Car, Truck, RV and Trailer Stop Aid, 19.7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VLG9YM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_wkilFgfgnDcHJ
View attachment 304505
View attachment 304506
Just tried the link.
Currently unavailable.
Similar item...
Guardian Industrial Products Rage Powersports DH-PB-4 22' Rubber Parking Block Curb (Garage/Driveway) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2XD7RI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VQldBbS8GN1G3

-1 for blaming the car.

Our X had tail gate damage from transport accident. They ordered a replacement for it. It took about 6 weeks to arrive (we drove the car with the dents on it), and then it took 6 weeks at the certified body shop to actually install/paint it (Tesla gave us a loaner, since this damage occurred before delivery).

So, I would suggest, try PDR first... might save you a painful 12 week wait.