TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reverse my car into the garage wall - Can I fix this?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by GabeX, May 27, 2018.

1. GabeX

GabeX Member

I was reversing my X into the garage today just like the end of every trip for the last 2 months. However, I stopped a little short of the wall today, about 30 inches from the wall and since my garage door won't close unless I am less than 24 inches away from the wall, I tapped on the accelerator a little bit since I do not have creep on and the car just floor it and ram right into the wall. Luckily no one was hurt and looks like only the tailgate suffered damages.

Any recommendation on how or where I can get this fix in the Orange County/Los Angeles area?

20180527_162421.jpg 20180527_162416.jpg 20180527_162407.jpg

2. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

YEOUCH! Look online or phone Tesla for approved body shops. There is a wide range of pricing policies, so you might want to visit a couple

• Like x 1
  3. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

This is a major reason why we've enabled creep with both of our Model S cars - it's much easier to control the car for short movements in the garage with creep enabled.

• Like x 3
  4. Hall-Morin

Hall-Morin Member

You should be able to get a dent repair service to address the damage. Look for someone with experience with Telsas. I'd try that before a body shop.

• Disagree x 1
  5. polymathic

polymathic Member

Reverse should really default to a mode similar to Chill. I had a little reverse surprise myself early on, but thankfully it was a mere scratch and it was on a loaner.

6. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

My wife experienced an almost identical situation to yours with our Model X. So I feel for you. My biggest advise is after choosing a body shop, drive the car until they have all the parts. This could save you months of heart ache without your X. In fact, you might choose your body shop partially on their policy of letting you drive it while you wait for parts. Good Luck.

• Informative x 1
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Skip the "approved" body shop. They will want to replace the hatch lid and it will take 6-8 weeks and cost thousands. Find a reputable PDR service and have them do it.

8. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by “tapped the accelerator”? Very light pressure on the pedal results in very slow speed. I find I can easily drive 1-2 mph in the Tesla, without having to ride the brake like my old BMW.

• Like x 4
  9. GabeX

GabeX Member

I applied light pressure to the accelerator like I always do to inch backward. I stopped by the service center today and they submitted a request to support to review my log to see if it's indeed an issue of the car or if it was my fault. I am hoping they claim responsibility and fixes it for me for free. I am also putting out quote request to multiple PDR shops to see how much it would cost to fix.

10. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  11. GabeX

GabeX Member

I was just thinking about something like this. How did you secure yours to the floor?

12. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Super easy with 3/8” blue masonry bolts (from LOWE’S) & a masonry drill bit.

13. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Interesting, if there is some edge case where the accelerator misinterprets input it might suggest that some of the SUA cases might be legitimate software issues. Of course, if they come back and say that they detected some high percentage throttle for some brief instant and you can't convince them otherwise, it'll just get chalked up to driver error. As much as I believe that most SUA cases are probably driver error, the simple fact is no electronic system is foolproof.

In any case, good luck with the repairs.

14. cmaster

cmaster Member

Looks like an easy fix at the body shop. Doesn't look like there's paint damage or creases on the part. I think they can push it back out in no time.

• Like x 3
  15. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Just tried the link.
    Currently unavailable.
    Similar item...
    Guardian Industrial Products Rage Powersports DH-PB-4 22' Rubber Parking Block Curb (Garage/Driveway) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2XD7RI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VQldBbS8GN1G3

16. idealsol

idealsol Member

I used Auto Recon Express
    Guys name is Rich. He actually lives in Rancho Santa Margarita. 949 785-8020
    He’s a very good PDR guy
    Took care of my run in with my garage door
    My mother in law used hm also
    Google the name on yelp
    Check the the reviews and pics

17. GabeX

GabeX Member

Thanks, He quoted me $2200, Most expensive so far.

18. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

-1 for blaming the car.

Our X had tail gate damage from transport accident. They ordered a replacement for it. It took about 6 weeks to arrive (we drove the car with the dents on it), and then it took 6 weeks at the certified body shop to actually install/paint it (Tesla gave us a loaner, since this damage occurred before delivery).

So, I would suggest, try PDR first... might save you a painful 12 week wait.

19. idealsol

idealsol Member

I was thinking it would be less than that. I’m glad you’ve found some less expensive options

20. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

Well at least he is not blaming autopilot or unintended acceleration or whatever. This is the third one, car is accelerating more than what I would like...

• Like x 1