Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Parking Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one having this issue? When I reverse park my Y in to a parking space with markings, I can NEVER get the car to park parallel to the lines, despite following the reverse camera lines AND using the side mirrors [it appears to the parallel in the side mirrors] the car is always parked at an angle / crooked in the parking spot.

I am almost tempted to measure the front and rear dimensions of the car to see if there is a width discrepancy between the front and rear [havent done it yet].

Tesla service center said its due to the mirror but my 2 Lexus cars, Nissan car, rental Audi etc all park correctly when you follow the cars mirror/reverse camera.

Any one else having this issue? Any solution?

Last edited:
The MY is much wider than my old car, so I just assumed that that’s why I had so much difficulty with it. 3 months in and I’m finally more comfortable parking in most positions. But I’m not sure that I park very straight when backing in either, or at least not on the first try...

The MY is a beast to back up... I can easily back up my kid's 2021 M3, and my wife's Honda Pilot (even with our 20' boat on a trailer behind it), but the poor visibility combined with tiny mirrors and crap backup cam/side-view cams make the MY just a PITA to back up. It's even worse at night with the extremely poor reverse lights. If any car ever needed the 360deg overhead view.. it's the MY.

It's not you OP.. it's the car :confused:

I disagree. In order for me to charge the car, I need to back the car up close to the garage door. Our driveway is narrow and I am able to use the backup camera and line to place the car inches (2-4) from the sidewall. The distance sensor let me places the car less than 1 feet against the garage door.

Am I the only one having this issue? When I reverse park my Y in to a parking space with markings, I can NEVER get the car to park parallel to the lines, despite following the reverse camera lines AND using the side mirrors [it appears to the parallel in the side mirrors] the car is always parked at an angle / crooked in the parking spot.

I am almost tempted to measure the front and rear dimensions of the car to see if there is a width discrepancy between the front and rear [havent done it yet].

Tesla service center said its due to the mirror but my 2 Lexus cars, Nissan car, rental Audi etc all park correctly when you follow the cars mirror/reverse camera.

Any one else having this issue? Any solution?
I first had a similar problem when I got my MX. A person at the factory showed me something. Not suggesting this is your issue. Just saying what I was not doing. Hard to explain, but basically look at the very end of the curved lines on the camera and keep them centered in the parking spot as you back in. Hope that makes sense.

I first had a similar problem when I got my MX. A person at the factory showed me something. Not suggesting this is your issue. Just saying what I was not doing. Hard to explain, but basically look at the very end of the curved lines on the camera and keep them centered in the parking spot as you back in. Hope that makes sense.
D, yes, this ^^^. Many people don't really know how to use those moving lines on the camera for parking.

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl and Ramphex
Honestly, i hope they break down the FSD subscription:

1. Full FSD = 50 a month
2. Summon= 10 bucks a month
3. Autopark =10 bucks

etc
Try more Full FSD = 300 a month, Summon = 50 a month etc... Otherwise there would be no incentive for people to get the 10k package upfront if it takes 15 years to get to that total with subscriptions. But I like the concept of breaking it down. I doubt that’s how it’s going to shake out though...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Try more Full FSD = 300 a month, Summon = 50 a month etc... Otherwise there would be no incentive for people to get the 10k package upfront if it takes 15 years to get to that total with subscriptions. But I like the concept of breaking it down. I doubt that’s how it’s going to shake out though...
Wishful thinking lol. i wouldn't pay that much.

Reactions: Hexo09
Yes, it does. When I do this, the rear end of the car parks nicely but the front end is crooked and NOT parallel to the lines. That is the problem I am having. That’s what made me think (probably incorrectly) that the front end is crooked may be...?

Having said that, I am going to consciously try your suggestion and see what happens.

Perhaps... but the lines are not intuitive compared even a 5 year old Kia. The lines are curving in, instead of being a straight line and guide the car in.
yes, and actually that should make it easier to park when are curved if you are using the ends of the lines as the guide. Try allowing more room to back in if possible. If the lines go straight at the final point where you stop, then the your car should be straight. Yea, it is tricky. I had to have a guy show me three times before I finally got the point and never had trouble since. But I did have trouble as you mention when I first tried. I'm thinking there is no problem with the alignment, but sure, it could be.