Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Summon for EAP Purchasers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An Elon tweet last night indicated that reverse summon (car drops you off at a location then drives off to go park itself) is coming later this year 'as part of FSD software update'.

If I remember correctly as an early owner who purchased EAP (prior to most features moving into the FSD option only), both the current smart summon functionality and reverse summon were supposed to be included in EAP (I think there was website language claiming car would drop you off and go park for EAP).

Question is if the above is correct, do we think they will actually be able to implement this feature with HW 2.5? If not, does Tesla then have an obligation to install HW3 to deliver on the reverse summon feature promise? I started thinking about this because if this is 'part of the FSD update' I wonder if it's designed for HW3...

An Elon tweet last night indicated that reverse summon (car drops you off at a location then drives off to go park itself) is coming later this year 'as part of FSD software update'.

If I remember correctly as an early owner who purchased EAP (prior to most features moving into the FSD option only), both the current smart summon functionality and reverse summon were supposed to be included in EAP (I think there was website language claiming car would drop you off and go park for EAP).

Question is if the above is correct, do we think they will actually be able to implement this feature with HW 2.5? If not, does Tesla then have an obligation to install HW3 to deliver on the reverse summon feature promise? I started thinking about this because if this is 'part of the FSD update' I wonder if it's designed for HW3...

You have been here for a LONG time as I have.

I think we both know that Tesla changes daily. They ALWAYS change what feature belongs to what package.

I think the best thing to do is "wait" until the feature rolls out and see what package it belongs to. FUSC changed hands 50 times until it finally settled down.<------exaggeration.

THEN....complain.

I think whatever they do, they won't give us EAP buyers a free upgrade to HW3 like FSD buyers have. And I think that's fair. We didn't even know about Smart Summon when we paid for EAP, how can we be angry we don't get that free upgrade? (Reminds me of that Louis CK bit about people being pissed off at in-the-airplane WiFi breaking when they didn't know it existed 10 minutes before!)

I think whatever they do, they won't give us EAP buyers a free upgrade to HW3 like FSD buyers have. And I think that's fair. We didn't even know about Smart Summon when we paid for EAP, how can we be angry we don't get that free upgrade? (Reminds me of that Louis CK bit about people being pissed off at in-the-airplane WiFi breaking when they didn't know it existed 10 minutes before!)

Understand the sentiment if that were the case (re: not knowing about the feature), but I actually don't think this is accurate. I'm fairly sure that when I pre-ordered the car and selected the EAP option, the description included smart summon functionality (and therefore I actually already paid for the feature), hence my question above. This is why EAP owners received normal Smart Summon (non-reverse) to begin with right?

Can anyone confirm this?

You have been here for a LONG time as I have.

I think we both know that Tesla changes daily. They ALWAYS change what feature belongs to what package.

I think the best thing to do is "wait" until the feature rolls out and see what package it belongs to. FUSC changed hands 50 times until it finally settled down.<------exaggeration.

THEN....complain.

There have been many changes to features included in packages for new owners, but as far as I know they haven't broken a promise re: features that were originally advertised (e.g. EAP owners got normal Smart Summon because it was stated as a feature of that package at the time of purchase, even though new owners at that point had no option for EAP and instead needed FSD to get Smart Summon.

EAP promised:

Tesla said:
Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot, and be summoned to and from your garage.

Park Seek mode (where the car drops you off and automatically FINDS a spot and parks in it) was listed under FSD at the time- not EAP.

So while it's POSSIBLE they'll give it to EAP folks anyway, it was explicitly an FSD feature back in the day.

As it's described- EAP is feature complete (and has been for a while now).

But if it requires HW3, then EAP folk with HW2.5 would not get it, unless they were upgraded to HW3, right?

Yup... which is why I expect if it requires HW3 (which I expect it does since it's tied to the major rewrite they're doing- which is almost certainly based on HW3) that EAP won't get it...

(and isn't required to anyway since as I say it's explicitly a feature of FSD even back in the EAP days)

...If I remember correctly as an early owner who purchased EAP (prior to most features moving into the FSD option only), both the current smart summon functionality and reverse summon were supposed to be included in EAP (I think there was website language claiming car would drop you off and go park for EAP)...

No. In the early days, Enhanced Autopilot was promised with a picture that your car can get out of your home garage then drive to the street, turn right to the curb right in your front door waiting for you.

The updated promise is smart summon:

Introducing Software Version 10.0

There's never a promise that EAP could drop the driver off then autoseek a parking space and park on its own. That has always been FSD.

Last edited:
No. In the early days, Enhanced Autopilot was both promised with a picture that your car can get out of your home garage then drive to the street, turn right to the curb right in your front door waiting for you.

The updated promise is smart summon:

Introducing Software Version 10.0

There's never a promise that EAP could drop the driver off then autoseek a parking space and park on its own. That has always been FSD.

Wasn't that before the birth of FSD?

There have been many changes to features included in packages for new owners, but as far as I know they haven't broken a promise re: features that were originally advertised (e.g. EAP owners got normal Smart Summon because it was stated as a feature of that package at the time of purchase, even though new owners at that point had no option for EAP and instead needed FSD to get Smart Summon.
Of course they have broken many promises. On AP1, I’m not sure exact wording but, on-ramp to off-ramp was promised just to name one. I would have to look back but their are many old promises like AP1 (before EAP) pulling out of your garage and picking you up at the front door. They may still be waiting on validation :rolleyes: I don’t think I would ever pay for FSD or EAP again unless it was very heavily discounted because you are really just "tipping Tesla". If you have been with Tesla for years you should realize that the promises will never materialize with abilities they hype, in any reasonable amount of time (average length of ownership). Better to just save the money and trade the car in after a few years because today’s tech will be outdated eventually. People with AP2 thought that it was cutting edge and that they were buying some future proof system, now AP2 is orphaned unless you believe the smoke and mirrors of FSD upgrades that are still functionality many years away. Most Tesla cars will change hands long before FSD ever happens so just enjoy AP steering/adaptive cruise and don’t buy into proven false promises.

Last edited:
Wasn't that before the birth of FSD?

I remembered during the AP2 unveiling in 10/2016, Elon was selling that FSD will be able to pick up passengers in Los Angeles and autonomously drive across the country to New York Times Square, drop the passengers off there, then drive away to look for a parking space to park all on its own.

It's before the birth of enabling FSD but the promise was mentioned during the selling of unactivated FSD.

I think the first diversion between EAP and FSD will be "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control" with Early Access Program 2020.12.5.6.

Before that, what FSD could do, EAP also could.

Nope.

The first code difference was additional visualizations (though it's a cosmetic, rather than functional, difference) late last year.

The light/stop sign control will be the first functional code difference.

From a HW perspective of course FSD buyers also got a free upgrade to HW3 that EAP buyers don't get.

My understanding was that Tesla considered EAP feature complete with Smart Summon, and that other major features would be FSD only. But, as others have noted, this is a changing target, so who knows?

My understanding was that Tesla considered EAP feature complete with Smart Summon, and that other major features would be FSD only. But, as others have noted, this is a changing target, so who knows?

I've not seen any suggestion that target has changed.

EAP is done AFAIK.

Elon Musk like JUST yesterday said:
Reverse summon (auto park) will be part of the core Autopilot software upgrade for FSD later this year

FSD feature.