Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rumor: Tesla’s testing reverse summon, where the car goes and finds a parking spot on its own.

Quote:
... was released to engineers for testing, , and it is currently quite good. ... will have multiple modes where you can pick where it parks, including things like "closest to the door", "near cart returns", or "end of the parking lot" for ding avoidance.

771BD811-DB6C-4855-92F4-445FDD865333.png

(Added by EVNow in: thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, they definitely use maps in parking lot with FSD Beta too. They can route you through parking lots (i.e. if you are in a parking lot and enter a destination, they figure out how to get out of the parking lot and drive on public roads - so they are using parking lot maps).
Have you tried this and seen it work? My recent couple tries, FSD Beta/Autopilot will not engage in a parking lot once a destination is set. I've seen claims it can do it, just assumed this was another of the 'in the future' features.

Have you tried this and seen it work? My recent couple tries, FSD Beta/Autopilot will not engage in a parking lot once a destination is set. I've seen claims it can do it, just assumed this was another of the 'in the future' features.
Parking lots seem to be hit or miss for me, as far as being able to engage FSD. The few times I've tried it, though, it wasn't pretty. The car seemed very unsure of itself - the planned path was all over the place, the wheel made many sudden, hard jerks, etc. ...I didn't let it get too far. Admittedly, this was several FSD versions ago and it was in a VERY weird one-way school lot. Still waiting for the opportunity to try it again in a more-standard lot, but there are always too many parked cars or too much traffic for me to feel comfortable giving it another go.

Parking lots seem to be hit or miss for me, as far as being able to engage FSD. The few times I've tried it, though, it wasn't pretty. The car seemed very unsure of itself - the planned path was all over the place, the wheel made many sudden, hard jerks, etc. ...I didn't let it get too far. Admittedly, this was several FSD versions ago and it was in a VERY weird one-way school lot. Still waiting for the opportunity to try it again in a more-standard lot, but there are always too many parked cars or too much traffic for me to feel comfortable giving it another go.
I think it works only if the parking lot is mapped. There are a lot of examples on youtube. I've personally tried it a few times and it works. I don't regularly try it because of jerkiness ...

BTW, can you set the parking lot as the target and the path shows navigation inside the parking lot ? If it does it can also navigate you out of parking lots.

Yes, it is far from pretty - it doesn't navigate in parking lots the way it does in unmarked roads.

I bought my M3 in March of 2020. My sales guy then told me they were working on this feature. I love the car, but I've also learned not to hold my breath. Elon has proven himself to be unreliable. I bought FSD and regret it. I don't think FSD can happen solely on vision. How can FSD keep the car in it's lane when there is snow on the ground?
Bought my M3 in July 2018. Delivery guy said same thing. Bought FSD for the $3000 add-on to then EAP, got a computer upgrade so not too upset. Don’t know about snow. Gave up holding breath.
Will they be finished with FSD by the time I move on to my next car?
Obviously depends on how long you keep your car, and your (or anyone’s) definition of “…finished with FSD…”. Forecasting Tesla is best done using your Magic 8 Ball asking your question; the results returned will probably be along the lines of: “Reply hazy, try again” or “Outlook not so good.”
I will be really pissed if they're not.
Prepare yourself to be really pissed. But enjoy the journey.

Reactions: edseloh
It does seem like it will be an impossible feature to use from outside the vehicle in accordance with the instructions. If it decides to park between two cars or near a curb and you're not at the right angle to monitor it what are you supposed to do? I guess stop it and then run to the proper angle to observe it? It seems like the only way it will work is if it can determine the sight lines and only park in spaces where you can see 360 degrees around it.
With Summon, I have more than once found myself suddenly stopping the car and running over to it to jump in and quickly move it out of the way of other cars/people.

Good thing it's a function we can purchase, because I don't think it's worth buying. I can park it myself, and probably need the exercise walking to and from the parking lot.
So… based on my experience with summon (which I love in spite of its flaws) I think for now you’ll be getting extra exercise with reverse summon LOL! 😄 🏃🏼‍♂️💨