Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been asking this question of people goofing off on salt flats, but so far no answer.

If there’s a software limit of 16 mph, then how about driving up a big old hill, pointing the nose uphill, and throwing it into neutral? Roll down backward. Tioga Pass, for example

Not slow enough. I managed to reverse into the wall outside my house last night. A wee bump and a scratch on the bumper that’s almost unnoticeable thankfully. But I know it’s there. And am now being extra, extra cautious when reversing.

On reflection, I think it would be good to be able to have chill mode on for reversing but off for driving.

With all the tech, I'm still surprised that it allows you to reverse into things.

Yes true. Tiredness beat the tech this time, I clearly wasn’t paying enough attention. Usually the camera view is enough, especially with the countdown of how many inches away the car is away from the wall. Not this time though. But you are right, given all the safety tech when driving forward, it should really stop itself when reversing backwards too, before hitting something.