Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse

Jonslatt

Aug 31, 2019
Malvern, UK
Just curious as my six year old asked me the question today.

Anyone know what the top speed is in reverse? Presumably it must be electronically limited somehow?

Not keen on finding out myself somehow :confused:

Puddles

Jun 2, 2017
Fresno, CA
I’ve been asking this question of people goofing off on salt flats, but so far no answer.

If there’s a software limit of 16 mph, then how about driving up a big old hill, pointing the nose uphill, and throwing it into neutral? Roll down backward. Tioga Pass, for example

pjuk

Mar 27, 2019
North London
If there’s a software limit of 16 mph, then how about driving up a big old hill, pointing the nose uphill, and throwing it into neutral? Roll down backward. Tioga Pass, for example
After you sir... I wonder if you then flick it into reverse whilst hitting 88mph down Tioga Pass you get negative-regen and open up a portal into the future ;)

interbear

May 27, 2019
Monmouthshire, UK
Not slow enough. I managed to reverse into the wall outside my house last night. A wee bump and a scratch on the bumper that’s almost unnoticeable thankfully. But I know it’s there. And am now being extra, extra cautious when reversing.

On reflection, I think it would be good to be able to have chill mode on for reversing but off for driving.

interbear

May 27, 2019
Monmouthshire, UK
With all the tech, I'm still surprised that it allows you to reverse into things.

Yes true. Tiredness beat the tech this time, I clearly wasn’t paying enough attention. Usually the camera view is enough, especially with the countdown of how many inches away the car is away from the wall. Not this time though. But you are right, given all the safety tech when driving forward, it should really stop itself when reversing backwards too, before hitting something.

Puddles

Jun 2, 2017
Fresno, CA
After you sir... I wonder if you then flick it into reverse whilst hitting 88mph down Tioga Pass you get negative-regen and open up a portal into the future ;)

Worth a try! I'll report back... or forward, would it be? & wouldn't you say "Before you sir" as my behind will now be my front? So many questions.

Reactions: pjuk

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC