Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reversing bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got into my car this morning (M3 RWD) and selected Reverse as the car was parked nose-in to the house, looked the mirror and saw the rear screen was covered in rain from earlier, so touched the cabin temperature, turned on the heated rear window then touched cabin temperature again to dismiss that screen. Now I am looking at the navigation map, no reversing camera even though I am still in reverse! I had to change to neutral then back into reverse to get the camera display to show again.

I would class this as a bug, I would expect the reversing camera view to be maintained whilst reverse is selected. Should this be reported to Tesla as a bug, if so how?

Also - the car updated last night to 2022.8.2.5 so not sure if this relates to that but I have never noticed this behaviour before.

I got into my car this morning (M3 RWD) and selected Reverse as the car was parked nose-in to the house, looked the mirror and saw the rear screen was covered in rain from earlier, so touched the cabin temperature, turned on the heated rear window then touched cabin temperature again to dismiss that screen. Now I am looking at the navigation map, no reversing camera even though I am still in reverse! I had to change to neutral then back into reverse to get the camera display to show again.

I would class this as a bug, I would expect the reversing camera view to be maintained whilst reverse is selected. Should this be reported to Tesla as a bug, if so how?

Also - the car updated last night to 2022.8.2.5 so not sure if this relates to that but I have never noticed this behaviour before.
It's probably always been like this but nobody has reported doing the same sequence you did to "lose" the camera view. Since you've already committed to some screen tapping during your reverse manoeuvre you could just tap once more and get the camera view back! It may be a bug but I would say there are quite a few ahead of this one in the list that need to be addressed.

I don't think that's a bug (provided the reversing screen came up originally) as you "dismissed" the camera screen to do something else.

What constitutes "dismissed" may be up for debate, but one-mans whatsit is another's somthingelse ... so perhaps reasonable that the definition is ANY action dismisses the reversing camera.

I've certainly had reversing camera not appear on some occasions (when I selected reverse). I've also done a many-point-turn (throwing gear from Forward-to-Reverse and vice versa, rather than stop and select opposite direction gear). Having the camera come and go (and never quickly enough), and the wing mirrors trying to decide if they are supposed to be up ... or down ... doesn't work in that situation. So in that instance I manually select the rear view camera so that it stays on during the "forward" moves.

Rather than select neutral and re-select reverse I think I would have turned he camera on but, yeah, same outcome.

Many thanks for the feedback. I personally consider it a bug (a little one) as whilst the car has reverse selected I would have expected the reverse camera to be the default view (if I am doing nothing else with the screen) rather than the nav screen (I hardly need nav whilst in reverse!). I didn't think to use the camera button to cause the reverse camera to reappear though, so thanks for this tip.

It's always been the same as that: just one of the things that annoys the hell out of me about the UI's programming.