TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Reversing camera

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Steven Loyens, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steven Loyens

Steven Loyens Member

Do any of you know if the Model 3 will have a reversing camera like the Model S & X?
    With the high tailgate for the model 3 it will be helpfull for backing up into my garage as it's very narrow.
    Or will the Model 3 only have the reversing sensors?

2. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

You should check and see if your country requires it. I believe it was required in the U.S. for all vehicles built here starting in 2018

3. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

I'm a 100% sure it will have the reverse view, they need to install it for Autopilot and there is no good reason not to make it available for the driver.
    And it doesn't look like the back window is that easy to look out of (just like S & X) so for safety reasons they should enable it as well.

• Like x 1
  4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It was even on the alpha...
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Since all the cars 'have the same AP hardware', it pretty much had to be there.

6. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

If the big screen computer is still a separate computer on the Model 3, Tesla could theoretically remove the cable between AP to that computer as a cost savings and make a premium pack item or something (on existing AP2 cars the reverse camera is wired to AP and then from there to the big screen unit)... Not saying Tesla would do this, but it would be something they could justify. AP could still use the camera but the driver could not.

That said, it is possible Model 3 has a completely different setup for the computers anyway. Nor am I expect this happening, just theorizing.

7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I'm not debating if its useful or not. I am saying it not reasonable to expect them to do it. They have higher priorities and I don't mind forgoing some notification that is my responsibility to make sure is okay or secure. We managed for years without it. Excuse me for not agreeing with your or believing in your opinion that its easy to implement. Easy in your estimation does not mean its easy for them to do it. They would know, we don't. I guess it comes down to this, I know how to close the door on my car.

8. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

This is true, there is no guarantee that they will include it, but I would think they would keep same setup as the S and X. I know there is a lot of discussion at the moment regarding people should have realistic expectations to the 3, but I really don't see a reverse cam as something very luxurious anymore.

But just like you, I'm only theorizing as well. Just like the creators of Internet forums intended ;)

• Like x 1
  9. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Having the rear camera available on the giant screen (especially while driving, not just backing up) is kind of a signature Tesla feature. I would be very surprised if it wasn't available on the M3.

10. MogWV

MogWV Member

11. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Let's put it this way. A MSRP C$9,995 Chevy Spark comes standard with a reversing camera. No reason why a Model 3 wouldn't.

12. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Except they could no longer sell the car in the US, which would be a bit of a problem.