Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reversing light bulb replaceable? What type?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to replace the bulb of the reversing lights, an if yes, what type of bulb I should buy?

My 2013 MS85 with Tech Pkg has the left reversing light burnt (or at least not operational) with some moisture inside the housing. (I'm in Canada so I expect to have two reversing lights turning on when I back up, not just one like the English ;-). I've been googling for a while and found videos about how to replace the complete housing, blow air in it to dry it, etc., but could not find if I can replace only the bulb, and if I do, what kind of bulb it is. Or do I have to replace the compete housing?

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Last edited:
Yes, the bulb is replaceable. Unscrew the two Philips head screws and pull the lens off. You will find that the lens has prongs on it and the bulb should come out with it. Take it to the auto parts store to get a replacement bulb, because there are multiple sizes that are very similar. Back in 2014, a bunch of people replaced those bulbs with LEDs and had varying results because of the sizes.

• Helpful
Reactions: fsch
Anyone know if there a brighter option?
Here is one: LED License Plate Bulb Kit

As I said above, be careful about buying LED replacements. Several people have tried cheap festoon bulbs from Amazon with varying degrees of success because of the sizing. I bought my LEDs at Autozone but that was 3 years ago and the packaging is long gone so I don't know what they were. But Abstract Ocean is a reputable company that deals almost exclusively in Tesla accessories so I feel confident in recommending them. Side note - my silicone fob pocket from them is still going strong 4 years later.

Just to follow up, finally, I didn't even had a chance to look at it, when I went for the annual service, Tesla changed (without even asking, on goodwill) my whole rear light set because of the moisture/water infiltration problem.

So far, after 200 000 km, I'm highly satisfied with both the car and Tesla service. (But it probably helps that the service center is about 2 km from home because indeed, I'm have to drop there a bit more often than I thought I would have to before purchasing the car!)

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
Here is one: LED License Plate Bulb Kit

As I said above, be careful about buying LED replacements. Several people have tried cheap festoon bulbs from Amazon with varying degrees of success because of the sizing. I bought my LEDs at Autozone but that was 3 years ago and the packaging is long gone so I don't know what they were. But Abstract Ocean is a reputable company that deals almost exclusively in Tesla accessories so I feel confident in recommending them. Side note - my silicone fob pocket from them is still going strong 4 years later.
LoL Rick,

Do you realize that he was asking about Backup lights bulb, not License Plate light bulbs? You followed up showing him what I think he really meant. For anyone replacing your License Plate light bulbs, please be advised that they bulbs themselves are polarized. Specifically when you put them in the light terminals, check them before you put the lens back on. You have a 50-50 chance of putting them in right or wrong. It makes a difference. Put in wrong, they don't light up. Put them in correctly and they light up.

I have a EU car, meaning only 1 backup light and the other light reserved as the fog light.

I just discovered a replacement for the bumper reflectors. It would be nice if these would become the fog lights and that the fog light in the right most unit be replaced with a white lens to have 2 backup lights as in the US version.

Red Lens Rear Bumper Reflector LED Tail Stop Brake Light For 2012+ Tesla Model S - LEDIN

Is anyone familiar with either of these 2 modifications?

• Informative
Reactions: MikkoJ