Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review/Installation/Comparison - Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Adjustable Tesla Model Y Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone!

It's about a year later than I intended to post this, but I've finally put together my Review, Installation, and Comparison video for the Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Adjustable Coilovers for the Model Y!

Check out the video for the full details, but basically I took delivery of a 2021 MY Performance in September of last year for my wife. Quickly I realized the suspension dynamics were pretty lackluster, and I looked into options for upgrading to something that was both more comfortable and more sporty. I had good experience with the MPP Comfort Coilovers on my wife's previous Performance Model 3, so back to Mountain Pass I went!

Installation was pretty straightforward, and was very similar to that of the Model 3. I set the damping adjustments for the Model Y Coilovers to the recommended Sporty/Comfortable settings (not the full comfort settings) and took some video to see how it compared to stock.

It's fairly clear in the video, but the harsh oscillations over road imperfections and potholes improved considerably. Notably, the "sharpness" of the bumps was diminished. There was a minor decrease in cabin noise, about 1db on average. The differences are even more noticeable at highway speeds, but I did not get that on video.

Overall, I was, and am, very happy with the coilovers and would recommend them to anyone looking to improve the ride quality of their Model Y. The best part is that it handles proper now as well! They've held up well to a winter of road sand and salt, and I can't spot any rust/corrosion on them. If you have any specific questions, ask below!

Thank you for a great video wish I can do it but it expensive
I look at it as a long-term investment in my sanity. Not ping-ponging around in the car over every road imperfection is a nice improvement. And the parts always have residual value, too!

I love them too. Have been using 6/5 all round for autocross. Interestingly though it's hardish it still does not have the sharp unpleasantness of the original MYP suspension.
Absolutely! It's nice to have a suspension upgrade that not only improves the handling characteristics of the vehicle for AutoX/Road Course use, but also improves the comfortability characteristics!

One of the reasons I keep coming back to MPP is that they've really dialed in the balance between handling/comfort/NVH/ease of install, and long-term durability. It's not an easy formula. I went from a $4.5k suspension on my Model 3 to the MPP Sport's and was much happier!

Reactions: kriRanX and dfwatt
BTW if you want to skip all my nonsense and just take a look at the comparison's, skip to 18:50.

Watch the touchscreen for distortion in the first one to notice the difference in vibration coming through the chassis.

Watch my body language in the second one to notice the difference in passenger movements.

I now run 7/9 all round and find it's firm but shows no signs of nervousness. To me it's a nice tight feel.
Is that 7/9 compression/rebound or rebound/compression. And is that the sport adjustable or the Comfort adjustable? I have yet to try my sport adjustable model 3 on anything past 10/8 given the crappy roads even in Florida. And that's 10/8 compression/ rebound. It's pretty firm as is specially in colder weather. In warm weather it approaches supple. It's interesting how different my wife's Comfort adjustable car is at only 12/10. Much more supple. Almost liquid.

One of the reasons I keep coming back to MPP
isn’t this a form of astroturfing?

Aren’t you and haven’t you been sponsored by this company? With discounts and pre production pieces?

I’m not knocking whatever partnership you’ve got going on, but it seems this should be disclosed when these high praise threads are created.

Is that 7/9 compression/rebound or rebound/compression. And is that the sport adjustable or the Comfort adjustable? I have yet to try my sport adjustable model 3 on anything past 10/8 given the crappy roads even in Florida. And that's 10/8 compression/ rebound. It's pretty firm as is specially in colder weather. In warm weather it approaches supple. It's interesting how different my wife's Comfort adjustable car is at only 12/10. Much more supple. Almost liquid.
Compression rebound.

Try again Compression is 7 rebound is 9 I am an idiot, sorry my previous statement was the wrong way round. Reducing the rebound compression helps the shock to return to equilibrium making the ride less harsh. Does that make sense, it's less fidgety.

isn’t this a form of astroturfing?

Aren’t you and haven’t you been sponsored by this company? With discounts and pre production pieces?

I’m not knocking whatever partnership you’ve got going on, but it seems this should be disclosed when these high praise threads are created.

I can see your point. It's funny actually because Sasha from MPP recommended I not post this video as it doesn't appear authentic since we are now working closely together, and it's not accurate to portray myself as a normal retail customer. But, I had already put all of the work into recording it, and I didn't think anyone would have an issue as the video recording was a year old and no one asked me to make it (but to be fair I did receive a discount on the coilovers). I guess I was wrong!

The last thing I want to do is mislead anyone to think that I am not being genuine in my reviews or comments. I sometimes feel like being rewarded for sharing my genuine experiences (through sponsorship that came about because MPP saw value in the reviews I was doing) now means that no one will ever think what I share is genuine again! I did do my best in the video to give an objective view. But you're right, the last thing I want to do is look like I am astroturfing. I certainly don't appreciate owners of companies or employees posting as if they are retail customers promoting products. I thought the MPP livery car in my avatar made it clear enough that we work together, but I'll update my signature so that there's no chance of confusion in the future.

I can see your point. It's funny actually because Sasha from MPP recommended I not post this video as it doesn't appear authentic since we are now working closely together, and it's not accurate to portray myself as a normal retail customer. But, I had already put all of the work into recording it, and I didn't think anyone would have an issue as the video recording was a year old and no one asked me to make it (but to be fair I did receive a discount on the coilovers). I guess I was wrong!

The last thing I want to do is mislead anyone to think that I am not being genuine in my reviews or comments. I sometimes feel like being rewarded for sharing my genuine experiences (through sponsorship that came about because MPP saw value in the reviews I was doing) now means that no one will ever think what I share is genuine again! I did do my best in the video to give an objective view. But you're right, the last thing I want to do is look like I am astroturfing. I certainly don't appreciate owners of companies or employees posting as if they are retail customers promoting products. I thought the MPP livery car in my avatar made it clear enough that we work together, but I'll update my signature so that there's no chance of confusion in the future.
I've read enough of your stuff to know that you are for sure telling it like it is and not simply some version of hawking gear. Too bad other people can't seem to make that obvious discrimination themselves.

I've read enough of your stuff to know that you are for sure telling it like it is and not simply some version of hawking gear. Too bad other people can't seem to make that obvious discrimination themselves.
Do you understand that he's been a partner/sponsored driver for quite some time now?
To use 'other people' seems odd. Many people have no idea who he is. A new user is in this thread, one can safely assume that they know nothing of his affiliation nor his years of being sponsored.

A sticker on the hood of a car in an avatar is hardly the way to tell how 'supported' an individual is by a company.
Example: I for one am not sponsored nor have I smoked Marlboros, however I have owned a Marlboro livery vehicle. Should one assume that I love cancer sticks or that the 80s had some of the best liveries? ;)

@MasterC17 This is the risk you run when you speak about products from companies that you are partnered/sponsored by, without disclosing it until asked in open forum. The 3month old thread seems to be newer than the relationship you have with the company, I knew that, and as such I mentioned it. No need to stress about it. That stress errr energy might be better spent with other activities. - and for the record, I have no horse in this race. no sponsored parts/pieces, just voting with my dollars, but you knew that.

Totally agree. Your input is fine and does not feel like you are prompting their produce any more than I am. Trying to get the best out of a produce that's infinitely adjustable and expressing positive opinions is not product sales promotion in my mind on the contrary it fine helpful plain and simple. Are there things where MPP for my personal use could change yes I would like harder rear springs that fit their lightweight lower control arms but for most people the std product is better than fine. If I had bought Olins, a great product I would have gone along the same development path. Who knows might still try that route but for the time being I am fine with what I purchased.

I appreciate the healthy conversation here and I appreciate the fact that all the cards are on the table. I was led here (unknowingly) looking for advice on making my Model 3, RWD ride a little less harsh and I'm glad that the possible conflict of interest was pointed out. That being said I appreciate the review and the data that was gathered. A question to MasterC17 or anyone else that has upgraded their suspension if I may. In regard to the rear coils, can I assume that the OEM coil is replaced with a shorter coil and a height adjusting mechanism? If that's the case, how do we end up with a less harsh ride? I really don't want to increase stiffness or lower the car and my thought is that more spring would mean less harshness.

Reactions: richyrich