Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never tried it, but can the iPhone charge using the plug and wireless at the same time?
You’re not going to break the phone, but you’re not going to double your charge rate either. I think it would default to what’s better (likely the wired connnection.)

I wish the iPhone would tell you your current charge rate. I’m still suspicious of the vehicle USB ports power levels (as opposed to a USB port off a 12V adapter.)

Here's some more pictures of routing on Model 3 to go with the one above...hopefully as useful as the requested movie....note that although you can see the cable in the flash picture, it actually is completely invisible when tucked into the crevice, it just shows with the light flashing on it...
IMG_6486.jpg
IMG_6487.jpg
IMG_6488.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir and plasmo
I don't see how you routed the cable into the center compartment. Saw a guy over the weekend and to do something similar (different mount) he drilled a whole in the back of the front console compartment and from there its an open space to under the steering wheel.
Interesting. Do you have a link, or was this something you saw in person?

How does it look from the outside of the car? That setup looks a little bit messy...
Honestly, you’d really have to strain to see those kind of details from outside of the car, IMO. Usually, there’s so much glare from the windshield, that you don’t even notice the mount. That, and the car is what gets all the attention anyway. :)

From inside the cabin, it’s a very clean look.

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
IMG_6472.jpg
The cable and mount look just like it looks in the pictures...the mount comes with some little cable clamps if you want to be obsessive about it for the little run behind the screen, but they really wouldn't add anything, it is very stable as is.
Routing into the USB compartment is shown again here - I just enlarged the hole where the cover hinge rides, ever so slightly, enough to get the microUSB plug into it - it goes to the outside, just under where the side trim can be pried up, again ever so slightly, with a spudger - I use a plastic spatula...
It all is pretty invisible from anywhere your eyes actually would be...

Last edited:
Here's some more pictures of routing on Model 3 to go with the one above...hopefully as useful as the requested movie....note that although you can see the cable in the flash picture, it actually is completely invisible when tucked into the crevice, it just shows with the light flashing on it...View attachment 333402[/ATTACH]

I just got my XVIDA mount and case, and it works great.
Question about placement of the mount. It appears that really the "best" place the mount can be placed is on the back of the monitor on the top left corner. I tried the top right corner, but the phone seems too far away to easily manipulate (not that you want to be fiddling with the phone while driving, of course).

@gzerninplatz - in your photo above (View attachment 333402), when I tried to put the mount in this exact position, the steering wheel gets in the way of view of the phone. I had to put mine sticking above the monitor, rather than the left of monitor.

I'm still trying to figure out how to run the cable down to the usb port so that the center cabinet can fully close. Right now I have exposed cable hanging down until I figure it out.

Plasmo -
Yes to top left, but horizontal works better for visibility. I need vertical for facial recognition on the iPhone X...although the next OS release is supposed also to have landscape mode facial recognition...The lower left corner of the phone isn't important to me for Waze or other stuff, so I don't mind it being partially obscured. also I like the steering wheel to be pretty low, so that clears up more of the phone.

The reason to mount it where I did is to not block any of the view out of the windshield - I'd rather block part of the phone.

The cable - you can pry the trim piece away form the left side of the console with a spudger (I use a plastic spatula), it just is held on by spring clips, pretty firmly, but it does move and is easily replaced. You only have to pry it out an inch at the end, not completely off, to route the cable from the lid hinge hole, out the back of the trim piece, up in between the two vertical trim pieces (just push in into the crack), and then behind the display to the mount.

After testing out various mount positions for my iPhone X phone, the “best” location (imo) seems to be in the vertical position, left upper corner. The only drawback is a small area in the left lower corner of the iPhone is obscured by the steering wheel. I have the steering wheel in the lowest setting which is more comfortable for me.

I initially tried the landscape mode in the upper left corner of the monitor, which doesn’t obstruct visualization at all, but agree with you that functionality of the iPhone X seems to be much better when vertical.

Regarding charging capability (using usb plug), having my phone on highest brightness and using Waze, my charge went from 67% up to 73% after a 20 min ride. (So charge does go up fine with continuous use). I didn’t try adding streaming music at the same time though.

Here’s a view of my mount position, “exactly” how my eyes see it when I’m seated in the driver seat, showing partial obscuring from the steering wheel. (It’s not that bad, and you forget about it quickly)

BC797F7A-D05F-4A48-B73C-23594C55C33A.jpeg

Reactions: fseir
I just got my XVIDA mount and case, and it works great.
Question about placement of the mount. It appears that really the "best" place the mount can be placed is on the back of the monitor on the top left corner. I tried the top right corner, but the phone seems too far away to easily manipulate (not that you want to be fiddling with the phone while driving, of course).

@gzerninplatz - in your photo above (View attachment 333402), when I tried to put the mount in this exact position, the steering wheel gets in the way of view of the phone. I had to put mine sticking above the monitor, rather than the left of monitor.
This is the reason I prefer landscape, although it does mean very slight overlap with the upper left corner of the model 3 screen (but I don’t find anything useful is obscured). I’m also using an iPhone X, and while I really wish Face ID worked in this orientation, and the home screen, too, I have waze displayed most of the time. I also make a point of unlocking my phone before attaching it to the mount, and as long as waze is running, my phone won’t auto lock.

3D52FB7E-6CAD-4C9E-8A76-548D026878C1.jpeg

Well, unfortunately, Apple didn’t announce faster qi charging for the iPhone X or 8 (at today’s sep 12 event), although the XS may get a slight bump, maybe to 10W, from what I hear.

I’ve been corresponding with XVIDA, and they confirmed that the current 7.5W limit (for iPhones), is the reason why you may not see positive charge rates, if you over tax the phone (like GPS + streaming music + full screen brightness). On top of this Apple also reduces charging current when the temperature of the device exceeds about 83 degrees! So I really believe this charger offers the optimal setup for wireless charging in the model 3, since it has built in cooling and allows placement near the dash vent. I’m betting the Jeda and nomad would fare poorer under the same stress, due to lack of ventilation in the phone dock, but then I’m not sure how many folks who put their phone down there are actually using them. If the phone is just sleeping while qi charging, it probably doesn’t get that warm...

I bought a bunch of the Xvida gear to try out in my Model S in anticipation of installing on my yet to be delivered Model 3. I installed the charge pad with double sided tape in an appropriate place on the dash but my phone kept falling off on hard acceleration. I let Xvida know about the problem and there was steady communication back and forth. As it turns they sent me a magnetic card (the piece that attaches to the back of the phone) with the film reversed, which means that the polarity of the magnets was reversed when installed. Turns out the film is attached by hand and the assembler made a mistake.

I tell this story only to make the point that Xvida customer service is outstanding, the best I've seen. They responded to my emails about the problem within minutes and sent me a new card immediately when we figured out the problem. They also refunded a purchase that had noting to do with the problem. Tesla could learn a thing or two from Xvida about customer service.

And as several have noted in this thread the products are outstanding, the very best in this class of phone holders and chargers.

I installed the charge pad with double sided tape in an appropriate place on the dash
I bought the XVIDA "charge pad" as well for my Jeep. If you have the suction mount product, this is the same magnetic charging block but with no mount (except for a flat plate.)

The Jeep already had a mobile phone mount by Proclips. Proclips sells all their mounts in two pieces ... the mount piece is customized for every specific car model while the holder piece is selected based on the phone you use. You then connect the two together. They haven't made their Model 3 mount yet, but even when they do they don't have QI wireless holders - just a slide in holder and you have to connect a cable. So, what I did in the Jeep is modify the Proclips holder so that it was just a flat surface. Then I took a metal plate off the back of the XVIDA change pad (the back of the XVIDA charge pad is also magnetic and the plate just pulls off) and screwed it into my Proclips holder. I did try it with tape first, but with this out in the sun that just lasted a few hours.

This works extremely well. The magnets on both the back and the front of the XVIDA product are very strong (I also have their iPhone case) and it doesn't fall off unless I happen to bump it with my arm.

For the Model 3, I have the XVIDA suction cup mount but not sure I love the options for mounting it. When Proclips releases their Model 3 mount, depending on where they designed their mount to work, I may buy that and retrofit it for the XVIDA again.

IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_4716.jpg

I tell this story only to make the point that Xvida customer service is outstanding, the best I've seen. They responded to my emails about the problem within minutes and sent me a new card immediately when we figured out the problem. They also refunded a purchase that had noting to do with the problem. Tesla could learn a thing or two from Xvida about customer service.

And as several have noted in this thread the products are outstanding, the very best in this class of phone holders and chargers.
YES! This is what sold me on XVIDA from the start — when I first reached out to them to ask whether the mounting arm could accommodate the angle needed for the model 3, I got a reply immediately, including some of the proof of concept photos and videos I posted in the original review. I had never heard of them before, and cynically assumed they were probably just one of those mass market manufacturers from China, pumping out low quality garbage and selling it under different names on Amazon and eBay, complete with fake 5 star reviews. But Mark’s reply proved to me that they were different (and turns out, they operate out of Europe). He knew about the Model 3, and was eager to help me test it out to make sure it would work.

Glad they were able to take care of you and troubleshoot your problem!

I bought the XVIDA "charge pad" as well for my Jeep. If you have the suction mount product, this is the same magnetic charging block but with no mount (except for a flat plate.)

The Jeep already had a mobile phone mount by Proclips. Proclips sells all their mounts in two pieces ... the mount piece is customized for every specific car model while the holder piece is selected based on the phone you use. You then connect the two together. They haven't made their Model 3 mount yet, but even when they do they don't have QI wireless holders - just a slide in holder and you have to connect a cable. So, what I did in the Jeep is modify the Proclips holder so that it was just a flat surface. Then I took a metal plate off the back of the XVIDA change pad (the back of the XVIDA charge pad is also magnetic and the plate just pulls off) and screwed it into my Proclips holder. I did try it with tape first, but with this out in the sun that just lasted a few hours.

This works extremely well. The magnets on both the back and the front of the XVIDA product are very strong (I also have their iPhone case) and it doesn't fall off unless I happen to bump it with my arm.

For the Model 3, I have the XVIDA suction cup mount but not sure I love the options for mounting it. When Proclips releases their Model 3 mount, depending on where they designed their mount to work, I may buy that and retrofit it for the XVIDA again.

View attachment 335135 View attachment 335136 View attachment 335137
Interesting solution! I had thought about putting one of those flat charging pads down in the dock, for passengers to use, but was worried about warming, since that style of charger doesn’t have the built in fan — but your solution is good, because you can still position it near a vent, for passive cooling.

Curious, when the pad is stuck to the metal backing, and you put your phone on the front, when you remove your phone, does the charging pad ever stick to it and come off the metal backing? Or is the magnetic attachment to the metal backing, stronger than the attachment to the phone?