Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you have this mounted right under the Tesla monitor facing slightly upward so that the phone screen is directly facing the driver.
Pictures?
Yup, as @gzerninplatz said, I couldn’t get it to stick down there, due to the curvature. Maybe someone with more patience might be able to find the sweet spot, but once I tried the upper left corner, I was happy with that, and gave up on the lower left mounting. Something else to try, if you really want this, is trying to mount it to the underside of the monitor arm itself. Not sure it would stick there, but maybe it’s flat enough? Or, if you can live with the upper center console flip lid closed, maybe try mounting it to the lid?

15908CE6-2CAC-4BF3-8079-8F79D8CDB4E4.jpeg
7A2110FD-CF37-4D21-8305-2F3D8DEA73C4.jpeg

Hinge is intact and works fine- I only had to widen a corner of the hinge hole a tiny amount to allow the lightning plug to fit through
I was about to try this on my car, but can’t figure out where the cable exits, so that you can still close the lid? There doesn’t seem to be enough space at the top, when the lid is closed, to allow the cable to exit. Could you please share a photo of what it looks like with the lid closed, and where the cable exits at the top of the hinge? Thanks!

fseir...look back in this thread. Lots of pictures. Page 2 for cable entry into charging compartment, other pages for other cable routing...
I’ve seen all of your photos, but the crucial segment that’s missing, is the one where the cable exits (the opposite side of the hinge hole).

This:

“You only have to pry it out an inch at the end, not completely off, to route the cable from the lid hinge hole, out the back of the trim piece”

Are you saying that you run the cable under the trim piece on the left side of the center console (the metal or black part?), and that the trim is left partially off to accommodate the cable and allow it to enter and exit??

I’ve seen all of your photos, but the crucial segment that’s missing, is the one where the cable exits (the opposite side of the hinge hole).

This:

“You only have to pry it out an inch at the end, not completely off, to route the cable from the lid hinge hole, out the back of the trim piece”

Are you saying that you run the cable under the trim piece on the left side of the center console (the metal or black part?), and that the trim is left partially off to accommodate the cable and allow it to enter and exit??

I don't speak for gzerninplatz but I think I did something similar. Here are a couple photos.

Open:
rzbbOVP.jpg

Closed:
16aHej6.jpg

Basically there's enough room for the cable itself to pass through, but the the lightning or USB-C connector is too big. To get that through, I gently pried the gap open with a plastic trim tool. It only takes an extra mm or three.

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir
it is safer to put your cell phone in the center console instead of mounting it up by the screen to distract your attention:)

Personally, i think the XVIDA mounted cell phone is safer than putting it on the center console (IMO).
If you need to glance at your phone for some reason, I am still able to see the road with my peripheral vision using the XVIDA.
On the otherhand, glancing at the phone when in the lower center console, my view of the road much less visible.

Reactions: fseir and sbtz
I don't speak for gzerninplatz but I think I did something similar. Here are a couple photos.

Open:
rzbbOVP.jpg

Closed:
16aHej6.jpg

Basically there's enough room for the cable itself to pass through, but the the lightning or USB-C connector is too big. To get that through, I gently pried the gap open with a plastic trim tool. It only takes an extra mm or three.
Awesome, thanks. I like that you just routed the cable to the outside of the hinge. I’m going to give that a shot.

For those who wanted more photos:

Here is a photo of a "Drivers view" of exactly how I see the windshield with the XVIDA mounted on the left.
As you can see, the top of the iPhone X does not interfere with my windshield view, but the very bottom left of the iphone gets obscured by the steering wheel a bit. The missing view of the lower left is not too crucial.
xvida1.jpg

Here is a photo of how it looks from a passenger in the middle back. You can also see the black usb cable going down directly into the middle console break. (I didn't bother to modify or cut any holes here... combination of too lazy, and also it really doesn't bother me and is not too noticeable):
xvida2.jpg

will your phone get hot while charging?
That’s actually one of the biggest advantages of this setup, over all of the phone dock solutions (Jeda, Nomad, etc). The XVIDA car chargers have a silent built in fan, that moves air across the rear of the charging pad, and because we’ve mounted it at the level of the screen, it also benefits hugely from the dash vent blowing air in its direction.

Qi charging definitely generates heat, and using gps and Bluetooth adds to the problem, so if you use these in your car, I’d definitely recommend this solution over all others.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Steward