Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also do have an update to my review, concerning charging while using GPS and streaming music over Bluetooth on iPhones. Importantly, this is not unique to XVIDA, it’s the same for Jeda, Nomad, and all other Qi chargers — the iPhone can only qi charge at 7.5 watts —which may not be enough to keep up with demand. I noticed a very slow loss of charge when running waze and streaming pandora, with a screen brightness of 100%. When I killed some other apps that were running in the background, and reduced my screen brightness to 50%, the charge slowly began ticking up. So the bottom line, is that if you do a lot of power intensive stuff with your phone, you may have to compromise screen brightness, and maybe prioritize what you want to run, in order to keep a positive charge flowing.

Does anyone know after the v9 update and the increased USB watt output now, does this improve the xvida charging issue or is this just an apple issue?

Does anyone know after the v9 update and the increased USB watt output now, does this improve the xvida charging issue or is this just an apple issue?
It's an Apple limitation. The car already delivers more than enough wattage for iphone fast charging, so any wattage over 7.5 watts, is superfluous.

I think XVIDA supports up to 15 watts, so any extra wattage could potentially benefit Android users.

Can any of the members who are using the XVIDA suction cup mounting option attached to the back of the main display panel for a while now comment on how well the suction cup bond has held up? Any issues with it releasing, esp. with hot / cold temp extremes?

I'm always wary of suction cup mounting - would be nice if there was a more direct mounting attachment method available ... but haven't seen anything like that (at least for mounting it up high)

Thanks....

Can any of the members who are using the XVIDA suction cup mounting option attached to the back of the main display panel for a while now comment on how well the suction cup bond has held up? Any issues with it releasing, esp. with hot / cold temp extremes?

I'm always wary of suction cup mounting - would be nice if there was a more direct mounting attachment method available ... but haven't seen anything like that (at least for mounting it up high)

Thanks....

It's getting cold now in Chicago, and have not had any issues with the suction mount.
(I think suction mounts have more problems with it is too hot outside, so I haven't experienced that yet).

Overall, I still love the xvida mount. If you are the type of person who finds yourself glancing at your phone a lot (safely, of course), then I don't know a better type of mount. The location is much safer than looking down where the Jeda and other console mounts are located.

• Love
Reactions: fseir and sc123

Thanks....
No problems in Hawaii, where it’s consistently in the 80’s outside, and 100’s in the cabin, while parked. I don’t use cabin overheat protection, either. I imagine the real test would be in a place like Phoenix, in the summer, but if I lived there, I’d definitely use overheat protection.

Reactions: sc123
3 months with it... It's fallen off a few times, but I clean it and it sticks back on there with no issues.

It's getting cold now in Chicago, and have not had any issues with the suction mount.
(I think suction mounts have more problems with it is too hot outside, so I haven't experienced that yet).

Overall, I still love the xvida mount. If you are the type of person who finds yourself glancing at your phone a lot (safely, of course), then I don't know a better type of mount. The location is much safer than looking down where the Jeda and other console mounts are located.

Thanks to @fseir's original post I ordered s number of the xVida products. Thanks fseir! xVida is the very best -- top of the line and a very good value.

I've already posted a number of photos of all the xVida products I bought in this thread, but I wanted to post the latest here. I originally used the suction mount on the back of the touch screen, but after driving with it for a week or so I ended up not liking it. So I tried mounting a xVida MAGNETIC QI WIRELESS CHARGING MOUNTABLE PAD on the dash in a position where I could see my phone through the steering wheel so I didn't have to take my eye of the road. And when the phone is mounted the wiring does not show. Here are a few photos of what I did.
DSC_8339.jpg
DSC_8340.jpg
DSC_8341.jpg
DSC_8343.jpg

• Love
Reactions: KenC and fseir
Thanks to @fseir's original post I ordered s number of the xVida products. Thanks fseir! xVida is the very best -- top of the line and a very good value.

I've already posted a number of photos of all the xVida products I bought in this thread, but I wanted to post the latest here. I originally used the suction mount on the back of the touch screen, but after driving with it for a week or so I ended up not liking it. So I tried mounting a xVida MAGNETIC QI WIRELESS CHARGING MOUNTABLE PAD on the dash in a position where I could see my phone through the steering wheel so I didn't have to take my eye of the road. And when the phone is mounted the wiring does not show. Here are a few photos of what I did.
View attachment 360324
View attachment 360325
View attachment 360326
View attachment 360327
I like your wood stain...what did you use?

View attachment 360324
View attachment 360325
View attachment 360326
View attachment 360327

Can you tell me how you managed to hide the cable. How does it get to usb ports

Can you tell me how you managed to hide the cable. How does it get to usb ports
Pull the side trim off the console and you can run the cable from the mount into the front console.

You can also get a 12V USB adapter from the cigarette lighter socket into the front console for more USB ports.

RPM Tesla has a video under its wireless charging pad instructions which explains removing the side trim.

Attachments

• 2C5C2ED1-3579-424A-8DFE-E50BF9AE156C.jpeg
    2C5C2ED1-3579-424A-8DFE-E50BF9AE156C.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
and if you look further up in this thread you will see photos of how the cable runs, etc. It is all there. Just look.

...but I've had one problem - with the mount going sideways behind the screen, the weight of the phone pulls down and the phone rotates away from vertical...anybody figure out how to add some friction in to keep the phone from doing this?

6 months in and the suction/adhesive fell off in the wife's 3. Its been in the mid to upper 90s here in Atlanta till a few days ago. Cabin protection on so it never gets over 100 and we have Xpel Prime XR till on all glass including roof and windshield. Hopefully it stays on for the cooler months.

My XVIDA suction mount is on the back, upper left of the LCD. I run into that issue with the mount falling off also when it’s very hot, but I find it can be avoided if the A/C is running for a few minutes before you place the weight of your phone on the mount. Since the vents pour cold air directly on the mount, the hot glue firms up again pretty quickly. If I don’t remember to turn the AC on before I get back to the car, then I just need to drive for 5-10 minutes before I put the phone on the mount.

Reactions: fseir
6 months in and the suction/adhesive fell off in the wife's 3. Its been in the mid to upper 90s here in Atlanta till a few days ago. Cabin protection on so it never gets over 100 and we have Xpel Prime XR till on all glass including roof and windshield. Hopefully it stays on for the cooler months.
After this happened to me once on a hot day, I’ve gotten into the habit of gently pressing the suction cup down before mounting my phone, and it hasn’t happened again. A minor hassle, but still worth it to me to have my phone safely in line of sight and fingertip reach. It’s too bad the adhesion isn’t a bit stronger, but I guess hot metal is a challenging surface to stick to.

Reactions: AtlantaMCR
Mine has fallen twice in a year...I think it isn't the adhesive, which isn't what holds it on - it is the vacuum from the suction mount. When the sun shines directly on the mount it makes the air inside expand, which cancels out the vacuum, and thus, the suction.