Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review of RWD M3 after Chicago-Breckenridge round trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week my wife and I took our RWD Long Range M3 with OEM 19" wheels and all season tires on our second road trip - the first was Chicago to Atlanta days after receiving the car in November. This time we made a last minute decision to spend Christmas in Breckenridge. I plan on buying 18" Aero wheels with winter tires but was unable to get them installed prior to leaving due to a 4-6 week lead time. That said, I was confident in the winter weather performance of brand new all season tires combined with 4,500-5,000 lb. total weight after including snowboarding gear for 2, coolers, snacks, luggage, etc.

It's about 1,150 miles each way, and we decided to drive straight through without spending a night in a hotel. The temperature was generally below 32°F, especially as we drove through the night. The last 40 miles through the mountains were white out conditions, but it was just the beginning of a bad storm. Conditions worsened until I had about 20 miles to go and could no longer see lane lines.

Below are some comments I can offer after returning from this trip:

- Car did not slip once in the mountains and drove surprisingly well in heavy snow. Much better than the VW CC I previously owned. That said I drove the last 30-40 miles going 30 mph in a 65 mph zone. This was at 4-6am and the few cars on the road were travelling the same speed.

- Optimized range by manually controlling climate control. Best results achieved by using only the lower fan on the lowest speed setting and 70° temperature. I turned it on for about a minute to warm the cabin, then would leave it off for 15-30 minutes. AC was off which is typically on when using Auto climate control.

- Speed limit is faster on Chicago area highways (70 mph) than rural Iowa (65 mph)

- In Nebraska the speed limit is 75 mph - had to decide whether to be the slowest car on the road to optimize range or drive 80 mph with traffic and stop more frequently to charge.

- Generally 1-2 superchargers between each of my charging stops which minimizes the possibility of running out of electricity.

- Popping in floor board while supercharging in cold weather got a little worse after 10-20 hours of consecutive driving. Towards the end of this trip the floor was popping every time we charged.

- Middle brake light is not sealed with the rear window allowing condensation to form inside the housing.

- Overall I was in the 260-320 wh/mi range between charges. My biggest discovery was the ability to increase range by following a semi. I understand this should come as no surprise, but I was amazed by the significant increase in range. There were a few situations where I was 1-2 hours from my destination and the navigation claimed I would arrive with 5% battery. Temporarily driving behind a semi would reduce consumption to the low 200s wh/mi range therefore slowly adding to the arrival battery percentage - sometimes I was able to add 8-10% due to reduction in consumption. This was most helpful when driving from Brush, CO to Silverthorne, CO.

Overall I had a very positive experience and would definitely do it again (with winter tires!).
2,300 miles later.jpg
8am arrival 2.jpg
8am arrival.jpg
Trip home.jpeg

Drafting large vehicles to increase range works great, especially with Autopilot. I've also lowered our 2015 MS P85D's Smart Air Suspension and turned on Range Mode on our P85D when range anxiety was an issue.

We've driven to Breckenridge from SoCal in the winter too with our Michelin Primacy MXM4 All Season tires on Tesla Cyclone 19" wheels. Our AWD P85D was unstoppable in snow and cruised over the Colorado potholes with ease.

You really wasted no time. Road tripping with the temp tag still on. :D
I still haven’t tried mine on snow yet (LR RWD with aero and stock tires) but this post gave me some confidence. When you were driving on snow, was regen set to low?

I don't understand this. Can someone explain it to me?

Sometimes while charging you can hear some significant noises which sound like cracking and/or popping. I’ve read on steals forums it’s thermal flexion of the metal floor plate

I believe that is what the OP is referring to. I’ve only supercharged once, and I didn’t stay in the car, but I’d hypothesize this phenomenon is more likely with higher speed charging (but that’s just my personal speculation, I’m sure you can search as this topic seems to come around a bit).

Only downside of hypermiling behind a semi is road chips from their tires. Judging from your pics, I’m guessing you weren’t concerned about rocks/road debris hitting the paint?

Agreed, 18 large wheels/tires that are re-treads ups the chance for a rock into the windshield or a road gator to the face exponentially.

I make very concerted efforts to not follow a variety of vehicles: semis, dualies, pickups with yard trimmings/dirty tools in back, trucks with open trailers, trucks with dirty mudflaps, etc. Cement mixers and dump trucks are the plague, these are absolute destroyers. Regardless, anytime there is more tires in front of you, the risk of bad things goes up.

When you were driving on snow, was regen set to low?

It will be interesting to see the OP's answer but my answer is if you don't know how to drive on snow/ice turn regen to low.

If you do know how to drive on snow/ice, and I've driven my RWD S a lot through the snowy mountain passes for the past 5 winters, plus a lot of ICE vehicles, it's not braking or regen that's the problem. It's people's reaction to them. You can't drive an ICE down a steep, icy, windy highway without braking. The problem with braking is sliding and losing control when the wheels are slowed or even locked, then reacting to it by making it worse. That's why regen can create problems, just like braking, if you're not thinking about steering and braking, be it you or the vehicle. If you're in control, and understand how control is lost, regen is a great tool for safe winter driving -- and much better than two foot (feet?) ICE driving, at least for me. However, if you do slide on regen, just like with braking, don't make the mistake and try to turn out of it sharply, since that's when you lose control and can even flip. Rather, steer into the slide, and try to drive out of it, while gently braking.

Most important: Accidents happen. Your speed determines the outcome.

I make very concerted efforts to not follow a variety of vehicles: semis, dualies, pickups with yard trimmings/dirty tools in back, trucks with open trailers, trucks with dirty mudflaps, etc. Cement mixers and dump trucks are the plague, these are absolute destroyers. Regardless, anytime there is more tires in front of you, the risk of bad things goes up.

Yes, same here. The problem here is all the gravel they dump on the highways so we can get traction on ice, then as we drive it gets moved to between the lanes. Then a semi in front you goes to pass a slower semi and that debris, as they accelerate to pass and drive over it, becomes shrapnel to the cars behind. I hit my brakes when I see two semis passing in front of me and stay far behind. I've had the windshield in my Tahoe replaced twice and two small holes filled in my Tesla's windshield but I do keep it home when it gets really bad.

Were you able to get uphill in your all seasons? That’s where my RWD with 18” all seasons has struggled in snow - can’t get uphill.

Even with really good, new snow tires on my S, I have to get the chains out to get it to the top of the driveway after a snowfall. My Tahoe hybrid also just spins the rear tires until I turn the knob to AWD after a snowfall. There's something to be said for AWD when it comes to snow and ice and starting out going uphill. Nothing beats it.

Were you able to get uphill in your all seasons? That’s where my RWD with 18” all seasons has struggled in snow - can’t get uphill.

Waiting on those winter tires from Tesla!

Our AWD 2015 Model S P85D with 19" Michelin All Season tires went uphill on snowy roads in Breckenridge with ease. Our P85D's traction was comparable to the AWD 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 liter V-8 with Quadra Drive in high range (AWD) our P85D replaced. Jeep was only better in DEEP snow because of it's significantly higher 10" ground clearance from its 32" BFG All Terrain KO2 "snow" tires and 2" suspension lift. Our Jeep's rarely used benefit cost ~ 5X the fuel cost of our Tesla(15/20 MPG vs. 84/88 MPGe).

Reactions: bhzmark
Yes, same here. The problem here is all the gravel they dump on the highways so we can get traction on ice, then as we drive it gets moved to between the lanes. Then a semi in front you goes to pass a slower semi and that debris, as they accelerate to pass and drive over it, becomes shrapnel to the cars behind. I hit my brakes when I see two semis passing in front of me and stay far behind. I've had the windshield in my Tahoe replaced twice and two small holes filled in my Tesla's windshield but I do keep it home when it gets really bad.

Even with really good, new snow tires on my S, I have to get the chains out to get it to the top of the driveway after a snowfall. My Tahoe hybrid also just spins the rear tires until I turn the knob to AWD after a snowfall. There's something to be said for AWD when it comes to snow and ice and starting out going uphill. Nothing beats it.

Interesting you say that. That’s what I would have thought as well. Check this video out:

Reactions: bhzmark
To answer everyone's question concerning regen - I left it on the normal setting and did not change it to low. In my opinion people are overly concerned with this immediately after buying the car while they are still getting used to smoothly breaking with regen. Ultimately breaking with regen+brakes and just brakes should have a similar feeling meaning you would be equally as likely to loose traction in either situation.

I'm also just as anal as the next guy about rock chips and rarely, if ever, follow trucks. In this case it was a long leg spent behind the cleanest looking, fastest moving truck I could find (with new mud flaps!). That said, I do have a clear bra on the bumper, hood and fenders that helped during this trip.

One HUGE advantage of living in Chicago is the abundance of inexpensive hand car washes - $11 for full interior and exterior!!

Reactions: cstork
I don't understand this. Can someone explain it to me?
I have the same issue "Popping in floor board while supercharging in cold weather got a little worse after 10-20 hours of consecutive driving. Towards the end of this trip the floor was popping every time we charged..." when I drive in extreme cold. I actually had the bottom of the driver's side bottom pop out and couldn't reseat it myself. I had the mobile guy come and put it back into place.

Usually, it's just a loud pop that sounds like you're driving over a clump of hard -road snow or something. It's a little disconcerting. I assume it's the plastic heating and cooling as you accelerate and/or charge.