TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Review of RWD M3 and Delivery today in Fremont

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by fiatlux, Jul 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fiatlux

fiatlux Member

After reading and learning a ton from this forum, I told myself I'd write a review regardless of how today's delivery went. I.e. I wanted to de-bias my review and not only write one if something bad happened.

Delivery TLDR: Delivery went well, with a couple minor items, but was easy and fun,
    Car TLDR: The car is awesome!

Delivery Details:
    Arrived 5 minutes early for our morning delivery time, for a RWD M3. They checked me in with my phone number, and I found the car easily by VIN walking outside. I was glad the cars were outside as it was easy to inspect. Our friendly Tesla staffer found us after about a 10 minute wait. He was working with two groups at a time, which worked very well as it gave me enough time to inspect (I printed out the pdf from another thread). The facility was busy! Lots of families and excited folks waiting or inspecting their cars. This was definitely not the experience of picking up an S a couple years ago (my guest with an S told me so), but I thought it was efficient and comfortable. There were couches, water, coffee, pretzels and yogurt. There was also a stand selling Tesla swag and accessories. Paperwork took about five minutes. Our staffer said not to pair the phone as it will get booted and reconnect in 72 hours - weird. I paired at home anyway...
    All told, we were out in about 90 minutes. Maybe 20 of those were waiting to check on something with the car (see below), 15 waiting, and the rest were paperwork or my inspection of the car...

Car Details (Inspection) -- for post-delivery fun read below)
    From my first informal walk-around I didn't see anything whatsoever "off". On going through the full checklist (which was super useful), I found (A) one minor and (B) one hopefully minor item. Item A was that one headlight sits a bit higher/more out than the other and isn't quite flush. If I wasn't inspecting, I wouldn't have noticed, and I didn't notice at home or stops today. Good! Item B is that the trunk rubber gasket/seal doesn't align with the outside/bumper (there's a gap). Our staffer took this to the engineers in the back who said it was within spec and wouldn't have any issue with water etc. Worst case we can bring it in to a SC, but my plan is to observe at the next rain and am optimistic it will be no problem.
    I have to say, compared with our last two new cars (Honda/Toyota) with the exception of item B, the car is practically flawless and on-par. There were some small detailing issues (wax/glue), but our staffer quickly wiped away a few spots.

Car Details (Wooohoooo!)
    Wow. Woah. Wheeeee!
    In the past I debated AWD vs RWD and am glad I went with the RWD. I was also considering other options (e.g. hybrid SUV or the Leaf). I have to say I'm super thrilled with the Tesla -- this car is far beyond the other cars I've test driven. It's hard to call out one thing and more of a complete integrated package that feels fantastic.
    * Power and pedal feel is great. Low speed power is easy to ease in/out of parking without picking up speed. At the same time, open it up and you totally get the Tesla grin! Took the kids for a ride and got lots of whooops and giggles :) With an hour of driving and enjoying the power many times, I only noticed a slight motor whine once when giving it full power on a highway onramp.
    * On a first day of mixed + spirited driving, got around 250 Kwh/mi. As I mellowed out, this number was dropping steadily.
    * Nearly single-pedal driving is so nice. Regen seems tuned to avoid sudden slowing at highway speeds, but seems to regen much more aggressively in the 10-30mph range. After getting used to it for just an hour, it already feels natural. Only need to touch the brakes around 4-5mph. Easy.
    * Technology: While other cars might technically have these options, the level of integration and form/beautiy is stellar. Tried playing songs by voice (good), streaming stations (great), USB drive (great quality, so-so track navigation). Navigation is attractive and has live traffic (yay! no more needing to open Waze every day just to see which of the 2 routes to/from work has a jam).
    * AC works great - very comfortable. The vents are not a gimick but actually functional.
    * Surprise: Unlike ICE cars, there's no engine to start/stop to power the systems. So as soon as you open the door to enter, the AC and Music is on. Likewise, music continues until you close the doors from the outside. This is sweet!

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Congrats ! Enjoy the car !!

• Like x 1