Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review of the Bridgestone Tourenza QuietTrack 19” replacements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I’d share my experience with these new tires as I had to prematurely replace my tires on my Model Y with only 26,000KM (16,000 Miles)

Some context: Recenlty I had the misfortune of going over a screw that was right on the wall of the Continentals that come with the car. After visits and opinions from multiple sources, including Tesla, it was obvious that the location of the puncture would not allow for a patch/plug or repair of any sort. It was here that I realized that Tesla roadside will not come out to see you for the repair, unless you agree to a tire replacement in the event the tire is not repairable... I guess as they don’t want to send a tech out only to be sent away leaving the owner without a drivable car. Tesla quoted me $450 CAD plus tax for 1 replacement OEM tire. My tread wear on these tires was already down to about 5-6 32nds. Which, I was also advised, would likely require 2 tire replacements on the same axel due to the uneven wear.

It was at this point that I was looking at about 1000 bucks to get 2 tires replaced, and then deal with uneven tire wear between front and back.

I did a bit of poking around but as it needed a solution I decided to just replace all 4 tires with the Bridgestone Tourenzas. I had slight concerns about the fact that they didn’t have the insulated foam like the OEMs, but the reviews seemed great, and the treadwear rating was quite high at 800... I called up my local tire place and was able to get a set of four out the door for $1220 CAD.

Now, I’m not a spirited driver... I drive a lot on the highways and typically try to game the lowest Wh/KM as I can... So I’m not the guy looking for the performance tire. I also was kinda bummed that my tires after only 26K Km were already at the point that they were... rears were quite more worn (to the eye) than the fronts... so this is mainly why I went with the Bridgestones.

WOW am I ever impressed

I can safely say that even with the lack of foam... these tires are QUIET! Going down the road I can say that the cabin noise has reduced compared to the OE tires. The only time I hear them a bit more is when going over any major compression at high speed... best case is the metal connectors you see on a highway when you are going onto an overpass or anything like that... you get a much more noticeable noise... but only when you go over that type of ‘bum’ (I compare it to the sound of a basketball when you dribble it). But I will take that every so often for the reduction in the consistent road noise the tires make.

As for efficiency, I don’t have a concreate answer yet, but it doesn’t seem to be too far off... I believe they are a bit less effiencent than the OEs but not by much. I haven’t had a nice day without wind or cold temps yet to go out for a long drive to test.

Anyways, figured I’d share my experience with these tires.. I’m happy to answer any questions!

Glad to hear you like the tires. I tried to source these in Vancouver last June when our MS 85D needed new tires. We did not have any luck for weeks, they were backup in Portland with no delivery timeline to Vancouver. We ended up with Nokian WRG4 and everyone commented they were much quieter than the stock Michelins. For us the Nokians made sense, lots of rain here and very little snow to deal with.
Fast forward, my wife now has a RWD Y and at some point way down the road we will have to put tires on it too. Curious if you have a RWD? Our experience with the S AWD, tire wear is so even I rarely rotated the tires.
Also, do you find the tires a little firm as a result of the high tread wear rating?

Glad to hear you like the tires. I tried to source these in Vancouver last June when our MS 85D needed new tires. We did not have any luck for weeks, they were backup in Portland with no delivery timeline to Vancouver. We ended up with Nokian WRG4 and everyone commented they were much quieter than the stock Michelins. For us the Nokians made sense, lots of rain here and very little snow to deal with.
Fast forward, my wife now has a RWD Y and at some point way down the road we will have to put tires on it too. Curious if you have a RWD? Our experience with the S AWD, tire wear is so even I rarely rotated the tires.
Also, do you find the tires a little firm as a result of the high tread wear rating?
Thanks for sharing... I have the AWD LR Y... I was told by Tesla that the wear all the way up until the tires were removed was even wear... but when I looked at the back tires VS the front, it was clear there was more wear on the rear.

I may also attribute this to the first few weeks of ownership, where flooring the accelerator just didn’t get old... I mean it still doesn’t.. but I’m a bit more controlled now. Lol

I know naturally the rears will wear a bit quicker than the fronts, So this all made sense... but I will continue to rotate around 20K Km.

Tires have been performing great from a ride perspective... I have to say I’m very happy overall.

Reactions: RNHurt and 73Bruin
when I looked at the back tires VS the front, it was clear there was more wear on the rear.

Just curious if you rotated the OE Continental tires front to back every 6500 miles or similar mileage as recommended by Tesla?

when I looked at the back tires VS the front, it was clear there was more wear on the rear.

Just curious if you rotated the OE Continental tires front to back every 6500 miles or similar mileage as recommended by Tesla?
So the funny story is I requested Tesla to rotate the tires at 15,000 Km and they told me because my car was AWD it was not necessary. I asked on 3 different visits in and around that odometer reading.

Maybe there is more rear-bias with the MY, our MS seemed to have no issue at all with uneven wear. In the old days (2015) we were told to rotate them at 8000Km intervals, then Tesla decided it was not necessary. I still measure periodically to see how they are doing.

So the funny story is I requested Tesla to rotate the tires at 15,000 Km and they told me because my car was AWD it was not necessary. I asked on 3 different visits in and around that odometer reading.
That is weird. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, on page 164 states, "Rotate tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first."

Reactions: RNHurt
For maximum (equal) life of any tires, rotation is a good thing. Period. Wear patterns are VERY different fr/rear, regardless of FWD, RWD, 4WD, horsepower, fr/rear power bias, etc. etc.
Front tires take abuse from cornering, rear tires (RWD bias) from straight-line acceleration.

Thanks for sharing. I have the same situation today. 2020 MY AWD LR with ProContact RX (19s). I did a check this weekend and the rears are worn to point of needing replaced (front are okay). I plan to replace whole set as it seems there are better choices out there. I have winter tires ready so might go with a summer option (Michelin Pilot Sport 4) - they don't have foam from what I gather (Costco). But, before I buy, I may look at these Bridgestones. Are you still happy with them? Any updates on efficiency? Thank you for helping!

Yes I believe the Y is heavily rear biased. Front only seems to kick in if there is slip
Someone might correct me, but IIRC, the MY is 100% rear biased, until you get close to full throttle. STAKIS: I'm surprised all 4 were evenly worn, as I would expect the shoulders of the fronts to be worn away, having never been rotated.

I, too, would like an update from STAKIS. Getting ready to try the Turanza QuietTrack on my 2014 Toyota Avalon.

Last edited:
I was told the same thing by my SA. may be that is true on MYP, but I would rotate it on MY AWD for sure, just to make that thread go longer

Someone might correct me, but IIRC, the MY is 100% rear biased, until you get close to full throttle. STAKIS: I'm surprised all 4 were evenly worn, as I would expect the shoulders of the fronts to be worn away, having never been rotated.

I, too, would like an update from STAKIS. Getting ready to try the Turanza QuietTrack on my 2014 Toyota Avalon.
100% rear for normal acceleration, I've checked this many times with scanmytesla. 100% rear regen braking. Front motor starts to kick in at moderate acceleration, but never for my normal driving. For sure, the rear tires wear quicker.

Reactions: Pianewman
Thanks for sharing. I have the same situation today. 2020 MY AWD LR with ProContact RX (19s). I did a check this weekend and the rears are worn to point of needing replaced (front are okay). I plan to replace whole set as it seems there are better choices out there. I have winter tires ready so might go with a summer option (Michelin Pilot Sport 4) - they don't have foam from what I gather (Costco). But, before I buy, I may look at these Bridgestones. Are you still happy with them? Any updates on efficiency? Thank you for helping!
Hey
Yes still happy with them. I did some testing with the tires to ensure efficiency is where I need it to be, and I can say it’s pretty close. I use TeslaFi and on the few months I’ve had the tires on now my effiency has taken maybe a 2-3% hit based on monthly stats… when I’m in the car and actively tracking the Wh/Km i can’t say I see anything out of what I was used to with the Conti’s. Also, I’m not sure if this is the case in the US, but Bridgestone has a 90 day money back guarantee which was one of the main reasons I went with these figuring I was one of the first people reporting new tires.

From a handling perspective, as I said in my original post, I‘m not an enthusiast driver so I can’t really speak to that other than I can’t tell you a difference in handling, or acceleration between the Conti’s and the Tourenza’s… so I guess that’s a good thing.

At the end of the day, even with a marginal efficeincy loss, I’d rather have a tire that has the 800 tread wear rating and basically 1/2 the price of the OEM ones.

Hope this helps.

(Tires have about 2500KM now)