Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Rimetrix - Laminar (Hub caps for MY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted black rims, but the trade offs for the Inductions weren't worth it to me at the time of ordering. I looked into alternatives like getting new third party rims, getting the Apollo rims power coated black, plasti dipping, or just being content with the Geminis stock. That was until I saw the Laminar's were released since it was a more budget-friendly option, and would be easily reversible if I hated it.

Packaging: Came in one box and was neatly packed.

Rim Materials: It's plastic and light weight. We'll see how long it holds up.

Install: Put included foam lining around the rims, and then snap the rims on. Easy.

Fit: Snaps on easily and securely after adding the center cap. However, the hub cap is not as flush to the tires- compared to the Geminis. I believe this is because these hub caps cover that exposed silver ring that the Gemini caps don't cover. So, it wouldn't be possible for it to be as flush as the Geminis to achieve this look.

Overall: I'm happy with the look! I got the black wheels I wanted, there is no aero-efficiency trade off, saved me from spending $1,500+ and finding someone to install it, and didn't waste time trying to DIY plasti dip.

C777E7AA-E48C-4FAD-B251-D411FEE56F51.JPG

E64D8057-7573-46F2-8DBE-69BCF3940A04.JPG
IMG-3192.jpg

I wanted black rims, but the trade offs for the Inductions weren't worth it to me at the time of ordering. I looked into alternatives like getting new third party rims, getting the Apollo rims power coated black, plasti dipping, or just being content with the Geminis stock. That was until I saw the Laminar's were released since it was a more budget-friendly option, and would be easily reversible if I hated it.

Packaging: Came in one box and was neatly packed.

Rim Materials: It's plastic and light weight. We'll see how long it holds up.

Install: Put included foam lining around the rims, and then snap the rims on. Easy.

Fit: Snaps on easily and securely after adding the center cap. However, the hub cap is not as flush to the tires- compared to the Geminis. I believe this is because these hub caps cover that exposed silver ring that the Gemini caps don't cover. So, it wouldn't be possible for it to be as flush as the Geminis to achieve this look.

Overall: I'm happy with the look! I got the black wheels I wanted, there is no aero-efficiency trade off, saved me from spending $1,500+ and finding someone to install it, and didn't waste time trying to DIY plasti dip.

View attachment 732773
View attachment 732775View attachment 732776
Nice my rims covers come this Wednesday. I'll post so we can see them on a blue Y

I still don't understand why in 2021 Tesla wheels/tires don't have the built-in "rim protectors" I've had on other cars for over 20 years. But these covers address that and if you already have curb rash this is a good way to hide or prevent it in the first place. I've read they are as efficient as the OEM Aero Caps so it seems like a good solution for many. I painted the Apollo wheels black and now really dislike the loom of the OEM covers so I may have to spring for these at some point in the future.

These look great, I might order some. After only a month with my MY, two of my wheels have curb rash from parallel parking... which is weird, because I never had this issue on previous vehicles... It seems that the wheels stick out further than the tires -- which isn't the case on other vehicles I have had....

First time I saw them (the original release pics from their website), I wasn’t a fan of them for the Y. But now it’s starting to grow on me and they look decent on the car.

My only gripe is that you need to keep your tires shined up in a deep black look, or else the tires stick out like a sore thumb with those caps.
Agreed, that I’ll want my tires to maintain their blackness with cleaner/shine. Doesn’t this happen with any black rim though, and the Inductions?

I still don't understand why in 2021 Tesla wheels/tires don't have the built-in "rim protectors" I've had on other cars for over 20 years. But these covers address that and if you already have curb rash this is a good way to hide or prevent it in the first place. I've read they are as efficient as the OEM Aero Caps so it seems like a good solution for many. I painted the Apollo wheels black and now really dislike the loom of the OEM covers so I may have to spring for these at some point in the future.
Still happy with the Rimetrix covers??

Was skeptical about black on blue but I think they look great.
Love that combo color look. I am getting a Blue MYLR next month and got the Rimetrix rims for Christmas. Instead of checking my Tesla App 100 times a day looking for updated EDD times, I drew your car in Procreate on my iPad this past week.

Tesla Model Y.jpg

Attachments

• Tesla Model Y.jpg
    Tesla Model Y.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 950