Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Unplugged Performance Moderate Springs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you shear or not tighten where it attaches to the knuckle? I just did the install myself this past weekend, it was a huge PIA, because it just usually is for me, but by sunday night I had it all sorted.
Hoping no control arm issues, but I could see not tightening properly that pin, or having it seated weird and maybe it sheared and damaged a bit.

*edit - also just a bit of feedback, I feel the ride SMOOTHER for some reason. I love it, no creaks (knock on wood) and corners like a pro. I wasnt so sure about the dual rate, but its a real thing. Smoother ride for me, and stiffer when turning.

I've held off posting to let my UPP experience run it's course but it's time. I've had both the SPs and Moderates. Both had the same issues EL2470 and multiple others posted above. Both were quiet at first, but after the first week the clunks and creeking comes back. Adjusted them multiple times, always checking for a loose bolt or something but the creeks and clunks always return. Wouldn't be so bad if I had a Civic, but with how quiet Teslas are it's the only thing I and passengers can hear.

UP customer service is great and responsive when you can get a hold of them. They always give the warm and fuzzy when we talked but they came through on their promises about 40% of the time. Over it now and ready to go back to stock.

Was hesitant because of the reviews when I bought them and should've trust my gut.

• Informative
Reactions: Apone
I do feel like it’s a hit and miss with UP springs. It shouldn’t be like this. I’ve had the UP moderate springs on my SR+ version 2 and had no problem for about 7 months. I went back to stock because I was selling my 3 to Carmax.
I've held off posting to let my UPP experience run it's course but it's time. I've had both the SPs and Moderates. Both had the same issues EL2470 and multiple others posted above. Both were quiet at first, but after the first week the clunks and creeking comes back. Adjusted them multiple times, always checking for a loose bolt or something but the creeks and clunks always return. Wouldn't be so bad if I had a Civic, but with how quiet Teslas are it's the only thing I and passengers can hear.

UP customer service is great and responsive when you can get a hold of them. They always give the warm and fuzzy when we talked but they came through on their promises about 40% of the time. Over it now and ready to go back to stock.

Was hesitant because of the reviews when I bought them and should've trust my gut.

All the people I know haven’t had any problems. Not sure what noises you’re heading but sounds like something Is loose.

Hi, we're here for you 100% of the time and 24/7. We also stand behind our product 100%. We would like to review with you by email what you are experiencing to better understand. After review, if we are even 10% confident we can help you by upgrading you to our latest revision of our dual linear rate springs we will provide you a new set for free. We won't rest until we are 100% sure you are experiencing the perfect product as so many hundreds of others are and we back up our satisfaction guarantee long term.

At this point we can't yet be sure until we review that it is spring related or something else at play since we've seen unrelated problems occur at times. However rest assured we are here to support you and we completely back up our product with a satisfaction guarantee.

We will move fast to support you and we hope you'll use our [email protected] email to give us a chance to show you exceptional service. We've also expanded our support and service team in recent months so you'll see our speed increase in response time.

I'll also send you a direct message now to move things along rapidly for you and to ensure you have the same silent operation and great handling that hundreds of others have and that we expect and require as the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I do feel like it’s a hit and miss with UP springs. It shouldn’t be like this. I’ve had the UP moderate springs on my SR+ version 2 and had no problem for about 7 months. I went back to stock because I was selling my 3 to Carmax.

Glad to hear no issues on your car (as expected). Sorry to hear you sold it but I hope you got something else as fun (another Tesla perhaps)! Our parts have a guarantee so there should be no hit or miss. Anyone who has ever had an issue has been supported and we stand behind our products and ensuring perfect long term operation of them. We have multiple staff from Tesla who have joined our team, including recently a Director of Customer Experience who was a former manager at Tesla. Our products are behind the fastest cars on track and we're growing our team to become as fast with customer service as well.

Reactions: Mash and KenMast3rs
I've been troubleshooting with customer service since Jan/Feb with no luck but I appreciate you reaching out. PM'd you most of the history.

We do certainly stand by our products, but more importantly, we are here to support our amazing customers. In addition to expanding our support resources, we've recently hired a new Director of Customer Experience who brings 4 years of management experience from Tesla. Please feel free to e-mail him directly at [email protected] any time with any additional questions, feedback or first-hand experience with our products.

- UP Team

Hey guys, I recently drove down from SF to LA and met with Jeff Kaney @UnpluggedP. They are absolutely terrific people and got everything right. While I could have just had them send my springs to SF, I decided the best option for me was to drive down and have them install them. I didn't want to get into a situation where I let a local shop install my springs and for whatever reason, they might screw it up, so I wasn't taking any chances. There aren't too many shops that are experienced with Tesla's yet so I feel I made the right decision. Jeff and his crew at Unplugged Performance know Tesla's inside and out. I immediately felt at ease and confident. I dropped off my car around noon and got lunch, came back, chatted up with the guys there, soon enough, it was ready.

While I was there, I spotted a set of front & rear sway bars and decided to drop them in since my car was already on the lift. BEST DECISION EVER. The combination/pairing of the Unplugged Performance Moderate Springs and sway bars is just WOW! If you get the springs, you gotta get the sway bars. It's a must have. The corners are tight and coming out of a twisty is more fun than ever. I've driven nearly 1,000 miles since my install so I now have a good feel for the upgrade and I highly recommend this for anyone with a Model 3 looking to obtain a better driving experience, lowering your car without the big expense, closing that irritating wheel gap with a nice 1.5 drop, and the best part is you're not going to sacrifice your ride comfort at all, it's just slightly stiffer but you won't notice. You immediately notice the car looks more aggressive than before, the stance is just dope AF. Since the car is slightly lower now I thought I might have issues when opening the door when parked. I have had no problems with curbs when opening the door. Being in the City, you have to be aware of possible issues such as that but I have not encountered any problems with it. Some of you commented about squeaks or noises. There aren't any. I've driven nearly 1,000 miles on them now and nada.

If you're considering this set up, Jeff knows his stuff. I highly recommend you email/call Jeff Kaney and get the Unplugged Performance moderate springs and sway bar set up. It's a solid set up. [email protected]

You can see my pics on Instagram @sfteslaclub
If you have any questions, you can reach out to me as well.

Hey guys, I recently drove down from SF to LA and met with Jeff Kaney @UnpluggedP. They are absolutely terrific people and got everything right. While I could have just had them send my springs to SF, I decided the best option for me was to drive down and have them install them. I didn't want to get into a situation where I let a local shop install my springs and for whatever reason, they might screw it up, so I wasn't taking any chances. There aren't too many shops that are experienced with Tesla's yet so I feel I made the right decision. Jeff and his crew at Unplugged Performance know Tesla's inside and out. I immediately felt at ease and confident. I dropped off my car around noon and got lunch, came back, chatted up with the guys there, soon enough, it was ready.

While I was there, I spotted a set of front & rear sway bars and decided to drop them in since my car was already on the lift. BEST DECISION EVER. The combination/pairing of the Unplugged Performance Moderate Springs and sway bars is just WOW! If you get the springs, you gotta get the sway bars. It's a must have. The corners are tight and coming out of a twisty is more fun than ever. I've driven nearly 1,000 miles since my install so I now have a good feel for the upgrade and I highly recommend this for anyone with a Model 3 looking to obtain a better driving experience, lowering your car without the big expense, closing that irritating wheel gap with a nice 1.5 drop, and the best part is you're not going to sacrifice your ride comfort at all, it's just slightly stiffer but you won't notice. You immediately notice the car looks more aggressive than before, the stance is just dope AF. Since the car is slightly lower now I thought I might have issues when opening the door when parked. I have had no problems with curbs when opening the door. Being in the City, you have to be aware of possible issues such as that but I have not encountered any problems with it. Some of you commented about squeaks or noises. There aren't any. I've driven nearly 1,000 miles on them now and nada.

If you're considering this set up, Jeff knows his stuff. I highly recommend you email/call Jeff Kaney and get the Unplugged Performance moderate springs and sway bar set up. It's a solid set up. [email protected]

You can see my pics on Instagram @sfteslaclub
If you have any questions, you can reach out to me as well.
There’s a lot of bashing and biased on this forum but plenty of people in FB and social media that loves them. I myself have the same set and it’s pretty awesome. The “noise” everyone keeps hearing about is from their V1 but they’re already on V3. Bout to switch out to coils because it unlocked a new perspective on what this car can do. If you are looking for looks AND efficiency I’d suggest grabbing their lip and rear wing. For me I reduced 25 wh/mi with no changes to my driving habits. Ymmv.

Reactions: BobbyM3
Did you shear or not tighten where it attaches to the knuckle? I just did the install myself this past weekend, it was a huge PIA, because it just usually is for me, but by sunday night I had it all sorted.
Hoping no control arm issues, but I could see not tightening properly that pin, or having it seated weird and maybe it sheared and damaged a bit.

*edit - also just a bit of feedback, I feel the ride SMOOTHER for some reason. I love it, no creaks (knock on wood) and corners like a pro. I wasnt so sure about the dual rate, but its a real thing. Smoother ride for me, and stiffer when turning.

How those springs going for you?
About to order some for my 2021 Tesla

There’s a lot of bashing and biased on this forum but plenty of people in FB and social media that loves them. I myself have the same set and it’s pretty awesome. The “noise” everyone keeps hearing about is from their V1 but they’re already on V3. Bout to switch out to coils because it unlocked a new perspective on what this car can do. If you are looking for looks AND efficiency I’d suggest grabbing their lip and rear wing. For me I reduced 25 wh/mi with no changes to my driving habits. Ymmv.

Indeed. The UP set up is top notch. I highly recommend anyone who wants a better experience out of their Tesla to go see them.
It's been a few months now and loving it. :)

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
WOW I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD!!!

A little history I have the unplugged Moderate drop springs purchased on October 31st 2019 and installed In November 2019 shortly after. I have a 2018 model 3 performance on the moderate drop springs with 20mm spacers around.

I really hope @Unplugged can help...because I too am having the same issue with the upper control arm ball joint on the right passenger side. I noticed after about 5,000 miles of installation there was a weird but very mild squeaking noise sometimes and also a weird clunk sometimes when I turned the wheel. I kind of just chalked it up to the car being really quiet and me being hypersensitive to noises.

Fast forward to about October of 2020...NOTE: I live in Florida where its fairly warm year around. As the weather started to get colder the squeaking got WAYYYY worst, where it was to the point of embarassing....Ive dealt with it for a little as I have a Porsche I can daily as well... well its unbearable so I schedule service ticket and they do mobile service and while doing rotation of tires discovered it was the ball joint. It has been less than 10,000 miles since installation.

Now to be fair ive driven dropped / lowered cars my whole life (mainly coil overs) but have ran plenty of spring setups and never had this kind of failure, Keeping in mind Florida is fairly flat and our roads are really good where I drive predominantly and I really don't think its the fault of the springs, but Im not a mechanic.

Well I go in Tuesday to see if they will cover this under warranty which I am assuming they will not, but I am really hesitant on continuing on with the springs and will explore other options....But now looking back I think the issue started fairly early which sucks and makes question the quality of teslas parts..

815B5C56-B2F4-4189-ABD7-C844A0D8E20A.jpeg
She looks good tho.