Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revised Front End / Nose Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a site with people's renderings of a revised front nose for the Model 3, apparently at Musk's request. The Model 3, if you cover up the nose, is an AMAZING looking vehicle, just beautiful. Kudo's to Musk for following design themes of top auto makers (BMW 3 series to 5 series, Mercedes C Class to E Class, etc). It stayed true to Tesla form and from most angles, other than the nose, it looks like a smaller version of the Model S. Almost perfect. But that nose is just gawd awful. Sorry, the collagen filled lips are just hideous. I keep hoping the more I look at it, the more I'll like it, but it's just not happening. Don't like the front of the X and dislike it even more on the Model 3. Not crazy about it on the Model S either, but that one appears to be a little more subtle compared to the other two.

Found these images of possible alternatives. My personal opinion is these are 10,000,000 times better!! Key change is bringing the top of the nose down to the same curve line that follows under the headlights. Much cleaner look. Car is too small to have that big of a face. While it won't stop me from buying the car, praying that Tesla reconsiders that front end...

REVISED NOSE
tesla-model-3-render-via-James-Anders-TMC.jpg

CURRENT DESIGN FOR COMPARISON
tesla-model-3-first-ride-028-1020.0.jpg

FROM THIS ANGLE, CAN HARDLY TELL IT'S NOT A MODEL S.
tesla-model-3-rear-shot.jpg

Reactions: Simon Sunshine
I think the nose's shape has something to do with aerodynamics. Which is why the new S nose is similar to the 3's nose. I would really like to see the little black slit that the X and S have on the 3 nose though. I get they don't need a radiator or anything, but it needs something to break up the continuous color. I think the X and S nose nailed it.

• Disagree
Reactions: DavidP and Tes LA
Insights into the Tesla Model 3’s aero innovations and how it can achieve 215 miles of range

It most definitely was designed that way for aerodynamics/range. I remember Elon requesting the revision on twitter but I'd imagine the smallest of tweaks may have an effect on drag coefficient.

I think it looks fine as is.

I'll take 210 miles of range instead of 215 for a much better looking car. The only thing that brought me to buy a Tesla Model S in the first place was that I hated how all other electric cars screamed "look at me, I'm different". The Model S broke that mold. Sadly, Musk is starting to put some "look at me, I'm different" ques into the design of all the cars. I'll gladly sacrifice a few miles in range for a car that looks much better. Did so on my Model S to give it a little sportier look and there was no notable change in my range. A small change to the nose design is likely to have minimal impact on range below 75 MPH.

I'll take 210 miles of range instead of 215 for a much better looking car. The only thing that brought me to buy a Tesla Model S in the first place was that I hated how all other electric cars screamed "look at me, I'm different". The Model S broke that mold. Sadly, Musk is starting to put some "look at me, I'm different" ques into the design of all the cars. I'll gladly sacrifice a few miles in range for a car that looks much better. Did so on my Model S to give it a little sportier look and there was no notable change in my range. A small change to the nose design is likely to have minimal impact on range below 75 MPH.

I dig it man. Personally I don't think it's bad but I do like the revision you provided. And you're right, I just thought the link would be informative. Plus, if EM guaranteed at least 215 miles of range minimum he has to deliver on it.

Tesla leads rather than follows. This is the new normal and it is defined by Tesla.

Like a lot of innovative art, it is startling when you first see or hear it. After spending more time with it, you begin to understand and appreciate its beauty. The design is not trying to be provocative for its own sake as with so-called "weirdmobiles". The shape of the nose is not dictated by a desire to mimic some other car. Here, form and function are one. In addition to the aforementioned aerodynamic considerations, this clean minimalist design carries throughout the car, inside and out. It is both functional and fresh. It is a new paradigm for the post-internal combustion engine age of automobiles. Soon, " gas-punk" will just be another retro look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tes LA