Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revised Solar Panel from 4.25KW to 6.38KW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally ordered 4.25kW of Tesla Solar Panel/1 Powerwall and the entire permitting process was approved but these panels were not installed because I re-looked at my usage and decided to future-proof a bit by adding more solar.

I changed my order to 6.38kW/1 Powerwall and was provided new drawings which I signed-off. When I inquired about the permit, Tesla stated they will not request a revision permit for the 6.38kW until after the 6.38kW is installed in case there need to be other changes.

Is this how the permitting process typically works in regards to revisions? It seems the permit for 6.38kW should be approved prior to installation to reduce the potential for issues.

Thanks in advance.

Im not an expert on this (not even close), but I am fairly certain that it can be done with "permit revision after" but it might (probably will) slow down any PTO application, etc... especially if there ends up being something the AHJ doesnt like. I am going to guess that there isnt much change other than some additional panels on your roof, but with most things in the same place, same equipment being installed etc.

Upvote 0
Thank you; hoping to get additional input if people got their "permit revision approval after" installation and how that proceeded. I'm okay with delayed PTO IF it goes all the way through approval.

My concern is if permit revision after is NOT approved, Tesla would return to remove panels back to the permitted 4.25kW, and I would have lots of patched up holes in my roof.

Upvote 0
Thank you; hoping to get additional input if people got their "permit revision approval after" installation and how that proceeded. I'm okay with delayed PTO IF it goes all the way through approval.

My concern is if permit revision after is NOT approved, Tesla would return to remove panels back to the permitted 4.25kW, and I would have lots of patched up holes in my roof.

I hear you but that isnt likely (for system size at least). Both of those systems are relatively small. The trigger for utilities to "look closer" seems to be 10kW. If this is over your normal usage, they will likely have you fill out some form that says "I expect my usage to increase because of X / Y". If its "just" the system size and nothing else is changing, I wouldnt have much pause, myself.

if they are moving stuff around (placement of equipment on your home, etc), then I might be a bit hesitant but I understand what your concern is.

Upvote 0
i had powewalls installed on existing solar and plans showed inside garage installation. We wound up moving powerwalls outside. Tesla didn’t revise plans/permit until local fire inspection demanded it. There were lots of bureaucratic issues with install, but San Mateo approving updated permit after installation was not one of them.

Upvote 0
i had powewalls installed on existing solar and plans showed inside garage installation. We wound up moving powerwalls outside. Tesla didn’t revise plans/permit until local fire inspection demanded it. There were lots of bureaucratic issues with install, but San Mateo approving updated permit after installation was not one of them.
Thanks for sharing your story; I find the entire permit process odd, the persons signing off "approve" but aren't really the authority then additional inspectors ask installers to change something/modify what has been permitted, esp in your case where the powerwall was on the drawing and on the inside of the garage

Reactions: Flyguy
Upvote 0
I find the entire permit process odd
Here's the theory:

(1) The relevant codes and laws clearly determine what is and is not allowed.
(2) The contractor has an affirmative duty to perform a code compliant install, notwithstanding all other review.
(3) The plans examiner looks at the plans, and approval means "these plans show enough detail for the permit process, and we don't see any violations." The burden is still on the contractor to perform a code compliant install.
(4) The inspector comes and looks at the work, and passing means "we don't see any violations." It is no guarantee of code compliance, and the burden is still on the contractor to perform a code compliant install.

In practice:

(1) is not always true. So in (2), (3), and (4) you can end up with different interpretations of what is code compliant. That situation is very frustrating. Ideally any conflict occurs only at (3) and is resolved as part of the permit process.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's the theory:

(1) The relevant codes and laws clearly determine what is and is not allowed.
(2) The contractor has an affirmative duty to perform a code compliant install, notwithstanding all other review.
(3) The plans examiner looks at the plans, and approval means "these plans show enough detail for the permit process, and we don't see any violations." The burden is still on the contractor to perform a code compliant install.
(4) The inspector comes and looks at the work, and passing means "we don't see any violations." It is no guarantee of code compliance, and the burden is still on the contractor to perform a code compliant install.

In practice:

(1) is not always true. So in (2), (3), and (4) you can end up with different interpretations of what is code compliant. That situation is very frustrating. Ideally any conflict occurs only at (3) and is resolved as part of the permit process.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you for the theory and in practice explanation; I understand it can be complex

Hopefully my system is installed soon and I'll join everyone else with producing electricity on their roof

Upvote 0