Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revision E battery and range upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does VIN matter when you can just check your battery revision?
No. I have an E. The sticker is visible easily enough (behind left front wheel).

It's about Elon's tweet on Feb 14th saying "car's built in the last few months" and I, and many others, are trying to unravel what "last few months" means. The current suspicion is "roughly from December 2019 onwards" but maybe we can a more precise estimate. Hence my idea for a questionnaire.

No. I have an E. The sticker is visible easily enough (behind left front wheel).

It's about Elon's tweet on Feb 14th saying "car's built in the last few months" and I, and many others, are trying to unravel what "last few months" means. The current suspicion is "roughly from December 2019 onwards" but maybe we can a more precise estimate. Hence my idea for a questionnaire.

Mine was built late Nov (not sure how to check specific day) and has an F pack. VIN 234XXX.

I think that tweet is partial balony with his „recent months“. I guess he meant „made in dec 2019 and jan or feb 2020“ as they so far, it seems that november 2019 and earlier cars (like mine) have E packs and can forget about that range upgrade. More and more evidence point to only „F pack“ cars getting it.

All those people that read „recent months“, thought „what does that mean“ and hoped that „Q4 2019“ cars where meant also, will largely be disappointed :(

Btw. Here in Europe, the configurators don‘t show a „Long Range Plus“ version as the USA configurator does and the range shown is the same as in 2019.

When I got my LR+ (ordered 2/28, picked up 3/1) they tried to sell me a December build so I could drive it home the same day.

At the time I didn't know about revision F, but when I asked if it would be eligible for the range upgrade the salesman said the cutoff date was around December/November.

Considering that's when they started to produce the F battery pack I'll assume the E will not get the range upgrade.

So, why does anyone really care if they have E or F battery? It’s not like you are getting a larger battery or more actual range with the F. It’s just a software update that changes the Rated Wh/mi so the screen reads a higher number. Correct me if I’m wrong but you don’t actually get more range in LR+ vs one not listed that way (if it is built recently with all the hardware upgrades that increased efficiency here and there).

If you want to increase the range gauge just change to Ideal Miles instead of Rated Miles; then your E will show 400mi range and you can celebrate the free range upgrade you just got.

Now, if it’s all about resale value, I get it, some schmoe 3 years from now will not be able to compute how your 10/19 build date LR X is same as a 1/20 build date LR+ X because 1. The year is 2020 so people immediately assume it’s a different and better model than 2019. And 2. It says +...

so I get that, but for your actual usage purposes the LR vs LR+ is meaningless icon on the screen...

„It’s not like you are getting a larger battery or more actual range with the F“

I‘m not so sure. Musk said that „those cars built in the last few months“ are „more efficient than their software thinks they are“. Maybe the F pack has a new chemistry. Maybe it is cooled/heated differently or has a better BMS.
So if the „range upgrade“ software now takes the new parameters into account, that could lead to more actual range. From 328 to 351 miles is quite a jump for „just a piece of software code“. If the F cars are indeed more efficient, they „drain“ less energy during driving.

„It’s not like you are getting a larger battery or more actual range with the F“

I‘m not so sure. Musk said that „those cars built in the last few months“ are „more efficient than their software thinks they are“. Maybe the F pack has a new chemistry. Maybe it is cooled/heated differently or has a better BMS.
So if the „range upgrade“ software now takes the new parameters into account, that could lead to more actual range. From 328 to 351 miles is quite a jump for „just a piece of software code“. If the F cars are indeed more efficient, they „drain“ less energy during driving.

I too am interested in how the actual battery/hardware might be different. I am now showing 348 mile range - before had 326. Also now says I have a Long Range plus. I would think there was a physical reason they changed the battery designation from "E" to "F".

So, why does anyone really care if they have E or F battery? It’s not like you are getting a larger battery or more actual range with the F. It’s just a software update that changes the Rated Wh/mi so the screen reads a higher number. Correct me if I’m wrong but you don’t actually get more range in LR+ vs one not listed that way (if it is built recently with all the hardware upgrades that increased efficiency here and there).

If you want to increase the range gauge just change to Ideal Miles instead of Rated Miles; then your E will show 400mi range and you can celebrate the free range upgrade you just got.

Now, if it’s all about resale value, I get it, some schmoe 3 years from now will not be able to compute how your 10/19 build date LR X is same as a 1/20 build date LR+ X because 1. The year is 2020 so people immediately assume it’s a different and better model than 2019. And 2. It says +...

so I get that, but for your actual usage purposes the LR vs LR+ is meaningless icon on the screen...

Evidence so far points to the contrary. Elon said the LR+ is a culmination of multiple hardware updates and since only F battery cars have been updated one can assume more efficiency is built into the F batteries. Truth is we don't know for sure until Tesla gives us the details or someone drives otherwise identical Model Xs with E and F batteries to test efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: RealDeal

That’s interesting. One thing I immediately noticed when I got my early Ludicrous Raven X was that it was way easier to get to rated range on it.

The predicted and rated cross at 320 Wh/mile on it vs 308 on my 2016 X75D, but in actuality the Raven runs about ten percent lower consumption than the 2016 mile for mile.

So there’s definitely a difference in how the car compares to the rated mileage in my car, which is an E battery - E started with the Raven release, so it’s an early E.

But there’s been no suggestion that we’re getting more rated range, so I wonder if there’s more going on with the F batteries than just adjusting the rated Wh/mile.

That is rather detailed. How do you know? Did someone tell you explicitly? When I asked my SC per Email, all I got was "your car was built in Oktober 2019".

Well actually detailed would be to tell you my car was painted on 12/16, in general assembly on 12/17, final inspection 12/18, in transport 12/19 and delivered on 12/20. I was in close contact with the operations manager at the delivery center.

Well actually detailed would be to tell you my car was painted on 12/16, in general assembly on 12/17, final inspection 12/18, in transport 12/19 and delivered on 12/20. I was in close contact with the operations manager at the delivery center.

Wow! For both my deliveries, I was unable to get any communication from the time the order was finalized until about a week before delivery when they suddenly said "Your car is in transit, let's set a day."

Maybe things are getting better. :)

I bought my MX from Stock (In Switzerland, they habe a boatload of cars on stock).
In mid 2014, My MS was "being built" -> "on it's way" -> "ups the ship has sunk in the middle of the Atlantic" -> "another was built" -> "on its way" -> "ready to be picked up". Not much more detail than that in the olden days...