Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revisit of extension cords

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried looking through the old forums and threads but didn’t really find what I need. I am adding a Model X to the family tomorrow and my wife has a model S. I now need to adjust my charging situation.

• I charge with a Nema 10-30 outlet and tesla adapter. Have been for years and it works great.
  • I am not changing my charging set up. It would cost thousands of dollars.
  • Extension cords for 10-30 are rare.
Is there any reason not to use this cord I found? A6CB0781-30D0-4768-A2B5-351FE12EBA12.jpeg

Does anyone have a better option?

How about you and your wife trading parking spots every other night, so the cars alternate being plugged into the 10-30 directly? That cord would work if you had to use it once in a while, but I don't think anyone should use an extension cord for routine charging.

@ADilwicius

Congratulations on the addition to your Tesla family. :)

Are you planning on using the one 10-30 to charge both cars? Perhaps alternating which car is plugged in every other night?

If you can do this with a 10 foot extension cord, would it also be doable if you moved the existing 10-30? Would moving the 10-30 be cost prohibitive?

Materials would perhaps cost less than the extension cord. Would it be something you would be comfortable doing yourself?

GSP

Yeah, since that cord is made for 30A circuits, it should be fine. One other option you could do, which addresses this situation nicely is the service from Quickcharge Power, where they can extend the length of your existing UMC. They have several lengths to choose from, so with a 30 or 40 foot cord, you could reach either car in either position in your garage. Here's a link to that.
Tesla UMC extension