Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revisiting USB thumbdrives with remote access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience with this? I’m finishing up (finally) my Raspberrypi install hopefully today but saw this the other day. Not sure if it would write dash cam data to the usb/sd card through the charging cable?

MobileLite Wireless G3 & Pro — Portable Charger, SD Card Reader | Kingston

It looks like you need a special app to connect to it. I'd rather just have a device that works provides SMB (Windows share) and/or NFS (Linux). I think the Raspberry Pi is the only thing that does this so far.

Anyone have any experience with this? I’m finishing up (finally) my Raspberrypi install hopefully today but saw this the other day. Not sure if it would write dash cam data to the usb/sd card through the charging cable?

MobileLite Wireless G3 & Pro — Portable Charger, SD Card Reader | Kingston
Not sure I understand correctly what you are trying to do, but this device does not expose a USB storage device on the micro-USB port, so you cannot write to either a plugged in USB drive or the internal memory through USB. The port is purely for charging.
It looks like you need a special app to connect to it. I'd rather just have a device that works provides SMB (Windows share) and/or NFS (Linux). I think the Raspberry Pi is the only thing that does this so far.
It does provide SMB (and a web server that you can use to access the files with any browser). I sometimes use this to access USB storage media from my iPhone. It's also a handy travel router.

Not sure I understand correctly what you are trying to do, but this device does not expose a USB storage device on the micro-USB port, so you cannot write to either a plugged in USB drive or the internal memory through USB. The port is purely for charging.
It does provide SMB (and a web server that you can use to access the files with any browser). I sometimes use this to access USB storage media from my iPhone. It's also a handy travel router.
What I’m looking to do is simulate the functionality of the Raspberrypi Tesla usb cam without the setup hassles. I thought I had the Pi correctly configured but when I plugged it in the USB port in the car, the pi light activated but the unit wasn’t recognized and the dashcam icon on the screen didn’t activate. It sure would be nice if there was a 2-4 port usb hub with WiFi available.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Eyefi cards may work on win/*nix too.

Using Eye-Fi Card on Linux » Linux Magazine

Edit - Scratch that if you're looking for something that provides it's own share.