Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REWARD if successful: help me identify where this annoying interior rattle is coming from 2021 M3P

M3PBOSS

Jan 1, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi guys, i would be grateful if you could help me identify where this annoying rattle is coming from. Its a plastic sounding tapping sound coming from the rear boot area in my 2021 M3P. It comes on uneven roads and is worse when going downhill. I will give a reward to the person who correctly localises where the rattle is coming from!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

PACEMD

Aug 8, 2019
Billings, MT, USA
No seriously, if you can ride in the back and localize the noise that would be a good start. All of my P3D rattles have been from the seatbelt height adjusters and as often as not go away on their own. There is a rattle post here.

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Hi guys, i would be grateful if you could help me identify where this annoying rattle is coming from. Its a plastic sounding tapping sound coming from the rear boot area in my 2021 M3P. It comes on uneven roads and is worse when going downhill.

Buckle up all the seat belts to see if things change, including front passenger. If no difference, drop the rear seats flat and try again.

AndrewGR

Oct 18, 2019
Oxfordshire, UK
Mine had a difficult to localise rattle from the back. I took a guy from the SC for a drive on cobbles. He traced it to a missing parcel shelf clip. Might be the source of this noise.

Realaustin

Dec 10, 2019
Scotland
My money is on the passenger side rear side cushion ( the piece that’s left once you fold the seat down ) mine is not fitted properly and makes some noise, I also have a really bad rattle/knock coming from the front passenger seat when it’s empty but that’s louder than your noise.

gdallas

Nov 13, 2020
Scotland
Buy a can of silicon spray and go to town! My m3p 21 rattles loads of places too. My window seals were bad rattling off the window. Silicon spray on the seals solved it.

• Informative
Reactions: browellm

kelvin 660

Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
The SC (Bristol) found a piece of plastic that had gone down the rear air vent during assemble that rattled like that...
They only took an hour or so to find and fix the problem...

I thought the noise was coming from the back of the car. Very misleading...

Bantam

Jul 29, 2020
UK
I have a similar annoying rattle (Mine is Sept 2020 M3 LR) and while there was a break in the weather that aligned with me having some free time (no Garage for me to work in) I did some investigation work and came to the conclusion that it could be a lose Rear boot latch (see link to short video I made). unfortunately the weather turned bad before I could start pulling off the cover on the boot lid to inspect. Before I devote anymore free time on the issue, can anybody confirm if this loose latch is normal and it loose by design?

Login - Dropbox

NigelT

Sep 5, 2019
UK
You can locate rattles and such using an app on your phone, connecting to the car's entertainment system, turn the volume up and go through the frequency until it starts to resonate. I can't claim I came up with this I saw it on a Youtube video but I've been doing it for years and it works every time.

The app I use is called 'tone generator' on an iPhone. I'm sure there are plenty of others for all phones.

p.s. what's the reward?

• Informative
Reactions: nikhon and Yev000

mick4545

Nov 17, 2015
UK
I found my rattle by getting wifey to sit in the rear seat and press down on the parcel shelf wile I was driving over a bumpy service. Result! It was the parcel shelf what done it. Bristol SC sorted it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC