Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rewire US tesla charger to Eu spec wall plug.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.

I have a US spec charger that i want to rewire with a EU plug.
Have someone here done this before and have a diagram i can borrow? :)

Attachments

• Eu plug.jpg
    Eu plug.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 74
  • US plug.jpg
    US plug.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 40
I must not understand what you are trying to do. The picture of the part I linked to looks identical to your first picture.

It would allow you to use the mobile charger that comes with a US car to plug into an European Schuko outlet. Is that not what you are trying to do?

Sorry, I was not clear enough.
It is the mobile charger I am talking about and I want to change the plug so I can use Schuko socket.
the one I have is round in the end and not square, so I figure that I have to cut of the end and rewire it.

Attachments

• tesla-charger.png
    tesla-charger.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 49
That is the older (now discontinued) G1 charger. I don't know if anyone makes adapters for those old chargers.

You may have buy the new style charger. (And the adapter I linked to above)
Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

The plug portion is an active component that communicates with the rest of the charger. It tells the charger how many amps it can draw based on what type of plug you use. I do not think it would be possible to cut the end off and attach a new plug.

Reactions: Xantos
I can’t use this charger anyways in the way it was so I figure it don’t hurt to try to change it.
I have now cut of the end and replaced it but I have two more cables that I don’t know where to put. Someone who can tell me? :)

Attachments

• EB733701-9C2B-4BA8-AD32-52411643F884.jpeg
    EB733701-9C2B-4BA8-AD32-52411643F884.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 48
I think those would be the cables that talk to the electronics in the plug. Those electronics tell the charger how many amps it can pull.

I don't know if the protocol is something simple that you can recreate, or if you will have to harvest the electronics from an some other tesla adapter that provided the same amount of power as what you can safely pull from the new plug.