Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RF key fob access to 2018 Model S?

TigerNinety

Jun 22, 2016
Silver Spring, MD
Hello,

As I understand it, the key fob that comes with 2018-2019 Model S cars is a bluetooth-enabled key fob. Does anyone know if it's possible to acquire or configure an RF key fob to open the doors on one of these cars?

Thanks,

Todd

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
I believe all known Bluetooth vulnerabilities have been mitigated on the Model S. Tesla is working on a new fob that should make it immune to these attacks. Tesla is working on new key fob with auto unlocking 'immune to relay attacks' I do not believe this new fob is out yet. Perhaps the Plaid has it, as their fobs are not the same as earlier S fobs (different battery, different size). If you are concerned about a new exploit and your vehicle, you can use the PIN to drive feature.

Teslas are rarely stolen. Out of the 115 Teslas stolen between 2011 and 2018, 112 were recovered. That number stolen figure may have significantly increased since 2018, but according to a report from the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) from August of 2019, Tesla vehicles are 90% less likely to be stolen than other cars. If you still feel your car might be targeted, use the PIN to drive feature for now.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
Bluetooth operates at a frequency of around 2.45 GHz. In the specifications section of the Model S manual, there are 3 versions of the key fob listed, two of them use 315 MHz and the other uses 127.7 KHz.

TigerNinety

Jun 22, 2016
Silver Spring, MD
So, this is pretty wild! The manuals for the MS and MX do show wildly different frequency ranges for the two, with the MX manual showing a Bluetooth compatible 2.4 GHz, but--as EVRider-FL notes above--frequencies very different from Bluetooth ranges for the MS. So, let's assume that we've resolved whether the MS fob uses Bluetooth (seemingly not): now I'm curious why the MX would use Bluetooth, but not the MS?

Reactions: DerbyDave

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC