Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFID hack wristband

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys, I’m thinking out loud, but as soon as I get my car, I’m going to see if I can transfer the RFID chip in the keycard to a wristband similar to a Magic Band. Has anyone done this yet? I know someone has transformed it into a ring as well. Thoughts?

Since you asked.. I think that a wristband is a lot easier to lose than a keycard that can be put into a wallet or purse (something that you normally carry around). Its also my opinion that phone as key (at least for iOS) works well enough that the keycard does not need to be used by the primary driver "often".

Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me, but I also get the "tech because I can" angle, so have at it and let us know how it goes :)

It's possible to dissolve the key card's plastic bits in acetone, leaving the functional parts behind. You can then embed the functional parts in whatever you like, at least in theory. Here's a YouTube video showing the extraction part of the process:
Note that I've not tried this myself; I'm just passing on the video link. I've toyed with the idea of attaching the RFID chip to my watch's wrist band, which is metal and so might function as an antenna, but I haven't yet tried this experiment.

It's possible to dissolve the key card's plastic bits in acetone, leaving the functional parts behind. You can then embed the functional parts in whatever you like, at least in theory. Here's a YouTube video showing the extraction part of the process:
Note that I've not tried this myself; I'm just passing on the video link. I've toyed with the idea of attaching the RFID chip to my watch's wrist band, which is metal and so might function as an antenna, but I haven't yet tried this experiment.

this is interesting, i wear my apple watch all the time and would love to keep it taped in some fashion to my band. i assume its waterproof given it was soaked in acetone? i use a wallet phone case and the tesla card takes up precious space...

hey guys, I’m thinking out loud, but as soon as I get my car, I’m going to see if I can transfer the RFID chip in the keycard to a wristband similar to a Magic Band. Has anyone done this yet? I know someone has transformed it into a ring as well. Thoughts?

I finally got around to buying a couple of extra RFID keycards for my Model 3 so I could use my watch as my emergency car key. It took me a couple of hours to do the entire job (about an hour and a half was just waiting for the plastic portion of the card to dissolve. After carefully removing the chip (with antennae) and drying it off I brought it to the car to make sure it was already set up with my car (it was). I then carefully unbent and rebent the thin copper antennae into the shape I needed to fit inside my watchband (I made my own watchband years ago using velcro to get a more exacting fit), retested to be sure it still worked (it did). I then covered the Chip & Antennae with Cellophane tape and inserted it into my watchband. Turned off my bluetooth in my phone and have been testing it over the last 2+ days (it has worked every time). Since my watchband is basically nylon there's no damage to the B pillar when touching. I have also used an old hotel RFID card as a block to the Frunk emergency release (again using velcro to keep it in place) after reading about the Frunk opening @ highway speeds when something in it accidentally hit the button.

Note that I've not tried this myself; I'm just passing on the video link. I've toyed with the idea of attaching the RFID chip to my watch's wrist band, which is metal and so might function as an antenna, but I haven't yet tried this experiment.[t
Why not put it into the wristband of an AppleWatch or similar?

The antenna is VERY delicate. The RFID chip is attached to the antenna by an EXTREMELY thin piece of copper wire (well the copper wire is actually the antenna). Break it and you'll have to start the process over again. Problem with using a metal watchband is that you may scratch the B pillar of the car when you use it to lock and unlock the car. I made my own watchband out of velcro (mainly because there is a more exacting fit around my wrist). I use it on a Suunto watch.

I just 3d printed a dog tag. I often run to the car to get something and leave my phone behind. Now I always have something handy

Attachments

• 20220211_195844.jpg
    20220211_195844.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: lUtriaNt