Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFID in a watch band

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, how to put a chip in the band? The key for surfing and probably other activities is to not have to carry a phone... awkward to carry the card in a wetsuit. Please let us know how you put the chip and antenna in a watch band

I used a leather band. So I just used an exacto to cut a flap, dug out some of the padding inside, stuffed the RFID chip in the hole and superglued it all back shut.

Reactions: ceejay44
What about the wire antennae? Did you wrap it around the chip or just detach it? TIA...

I tried being all careful and winding the wire antenna in different shapes on a piece of tape so it never touched itself, thinking that was important. I tried a bunch of different methods, none worked or worked really unreliably. Then in sort of a fit of frustration I sort of just wadded it up randomly, although still mostly flat, and that actually worked. So I just stuffed it into the band that way and it's been working fine ever since.

One note there did seem to be a direction where the little square chip worked better if it was facing a certain way. So I made sure that was facing out on the band. Although it still worked the other way, just seemed a bit better in one configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and Ronmoll
Here is a photo of the inside of the band so you can see how I cut it. I didn’t glue the flap along the cut because super glue can get hard and sharp and I didn’t want it poking me. There is a ton, of the thicker kind, inside holding the chip and the flap.

if it starts to fall apart I'll just buy a couple more cards and try some different glue/techniques. (they’re pretty cheap)

93A575E8-3773-41BA-A583-9E6235727494.jpeg

Just use a glass vase or jar. (don't melt the cup too) And when you're done you'll have sort of a soup of the RFID chip, which has a long wire attached to it, the TESLA letters which are also metal, and some plastic goop. I just used a slotted spoon to grab the chip, then poured the acetone down the drain using the spoon as a strainer, then through the plastic goop in the garbage and washed out the vase.

- Buys an electric car to save the planet
- Pours acetone down the sink

I'm just being a dick. But a serious piece of advice, hopefully you chased it with water so you don't dissolve your PVC pipes along with your Tesla card (and cup, as you said).

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
- Buys an electric car to save the planet
- Pours acetone down the sink

I'm just being a dick. But a serious piece of advice, hopefully you chased it with water so you don't dissolve your PVC pipes along with your Tesla card (and cup, as you said).

I used sh*tty acetone that was actually nail polish remover and only used like 2oz. Just enough to cover the card.

and yeah I ran the water for a minute after I poured it out.

So a usage report... After a couple weeks using it, it can be a bit finicky. Sometimes it works first try, others on the 2nd or 3rd and others I get frustrated and just walk away. I wish it was more reliable.

Does anyone use the keycard exclusively as their key? Does it have similar issues? Or is it the way I have it stuck in the watch band causing the problem?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
So a usage report... After a couple weeks using it, it can be a bit finicky. Sometimes it works first try, others on the 2nd or 3rd and others I get frustrated and just walk away. I wish it was more reliable.

Does anyone use the keycard exclusively as their key? Does it have similar issues? Or is it the way I have it stuck in the watch band causing the problem?
Think about how the wire is laid out on the card creating a larger area than the chip. Maybe you need to lay the wire along the entire band to create a larger area to transmit the signal.

Think about how the wire is laid out on the card creating a larger area than the chip. Maybe you need to lay the wire along the entire band to create a larger area to transmit the signal.

I used as much of the band as I could. I also tried laying the wire very carefully winding it around in like a hump pattern so it never touched and that didn’t work at all. In fact just sort of cramming it in there williy nilly was the only way I could get it to work.

I think it might be a flatness thing. I think maybe because it's sort of bent around my wrist the whole thing isn't making contact. Perhaps squishing it closer together would have actually been better.

Is there a way to incorporate the CNick ring in a watch band?
You can loop it on the band, like a charm on a bracelet. Not what you meant? Why not melt a keycard, take the RFID loop and chip and incorporate it into a watch band. The issue I've read is that the loop is a bit finicky. You can't just ball up the loop and expect it to work. That's why the rings have to be held in a specific way when opening the door, etc.