Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFID in watchband

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got around to buying a couple of extra RFID keycards for my Model 3 so I could use my watch as my emergency car key. It took me a couple of hours to do the entire job (about an hour and a half was just waiting for the plastic portion of the card to dissolve. After carefully removing the chip (with antennae) and drying it off I brought it to the car to make sure it was already set up with my car (it was). I then carefully unbent and rebent the thin copper antennae into the shape I needed to fit inside my watchband (I made my own watchband years ago using velcro to get a more exacting fit), retested to be sure it still worked (it did). I then covered the Chip & Antennae with Cellophane tape and inserted it into my watchband. Turned off my bluetooth in my phone and have been testing it over the last 2+ days (it has worked every time). Since my watchband is basically nylon there's no damage to the B pillar when touching. I have also used an old hotel RFID card as a block to the Frunk emergency release (again using velcro to keep it in place) after reading about the Frunk opening @ highway speeds when something in it accidentally hit the button.

Reactions: srs5694