Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFID Key Fob Blocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've come to learn that the credenza where we place our car keys is too close to our MX in the garage. It appears that the car can sense the key fob through the drywall and unlocks the car. We've had to turn off the auto-present feature because the car kept opening the door while in the garage. It is also going to kill the batteries in our key fobs since it is constantly communicating with the car.

Talked to Tesla about it, and there is nothing that can be done on their end. Their only suggestion was to either put the keys somewhere further away or get a bag to place our keys in that block the RFID. So, since we are not going to redesign our house in terms of where we put our keys, does anyone have recommendations on a bag or a nice box (even better because we would just leave it out on top of our credenza) where we can store our two key fobs?

What you need is a Faraday cage.

Almost any metal box should do. Try an Altoids tin, or if you have a nicer box you'd prefer to use you can line the interior (including lid) with a few layers of aluminum foil. Either way, it needs to have a good seal to prevent RF leakage.

Any "anti-rf" container available on Amazon will likely also do the trick.

I just keep a spare tin foil hat around and toss my key in there when I want to keep the aliens from hijacking my car.

I keep my spare key in the kitchen in a faraday bag (Amazon) but the company that makes them appears to now only make the extra large size (IPad, etc). Works great, though. Walk out to the garage with it and car does nothing until I lift the flap of the bag.

Here’s one that’s virtually the same:

Mission Darkness Faraday Bag for Keyfobs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1C21O2

We've come to learn that the credenza where we place our car keys is too close to our MX in the garage. It appears that the car can sense the key fob through the drywall and unlocks the car. We've had to turn off the auto-present feature because the car kept opening the door while in the garage. It is also going to kill the batteries in our key fobs since it is constantly communicating with the car.

Talked to Tesla about it, and there is nothing that can be done on their end. Their only suggestion was to either put the keys somewhere further away or get a bag to place our keys in that block the RFID. So, since we are not going to redesign our house in terms of where we put our keys, does anyone have recommendations on a bag or a nice box (even better because we would just leave it out on top of our credenza) where we can store our two key fobs?
I use an Altoids tin when tent camping...works great. Plus, your FOB is always minty fresh and curiously strong.

I bought RF shielded pouches from R A Mayes. First for the S in 2013 and then for the X in 2016. The ones I purchased in 2016 appear to have less isolation than the ones purchased in 2013. I noticed that the X fob placed in the 2016 pouch could still be recognized by the car when I got right next to the car even with the pouch flap closed --- UNLESS I folded over the pouch once closed. I've never had any issues with the 2013 pouches.

RA Mayes | EMI / RFI RF Shielded Pouches for Most Wireless Devices