Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFP EM-008-2023: DC Fast Charging Stations – Phase 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phase 4 Round 2 (ARPA) RFP: RFP EM-013-2023 - Efficiency Maine
Phase 4 Notice of Award: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/RFP_EM_013-2023_Notification_of_Award.pdf
1. Irving Oil, 1941 Medway Road, Medway, Maine 04460
2. Universal EV LLC, 282 North Street, Houlton, Maine 04730
3. True Upside Consulting, 5 Clark Siding Road, Ashland, Maine 04732
4. True Upside Consulting, 162 Houlton Road, Danforth, Maine 04424
5. Universal EV LLC, 103 Main Street, Machias, Maine 04654
1. Irving Gas Station that already hosts the Medway V2 Supercharger
2. Shiretown Inn & Suites, Downunder Sports Pub
3. Restaurant/take out/ice cream
4. Mill Yard gas station and convenience store
5.Machias River Inn

Phase 5 (NEVI) RFP: RFP EM-011-2023 - Efficiency Maine
Phase 5 Notice of Proposed Award: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/RFP_EM_011-2023_Notification_of_Proposed_Award.pdf
(Maybe Proposed because it requires further approval for funding?)
1. Equilon Enterprises LLC, 322 Stillwater Ave, Bangor, Maine 04401
2. Tesla, Inc., 197 Civic Center Drive, Augusta, Maine 04330
3. ReVision Energy, 225 High Street, Ellsworth, Maine 04605
4. D&C Properties, 423 East Main Street, Searsport, Maine 04974
5. Tesla, Inc., 75 Maverick Street, Rockland, Maine 04841
6. Irving Oil, 1555 Atlantic Highway, Waldoboro, Maine 04572
7. Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority, 11 Atlantic Avenue, Brunswick, Maine 04011
1. Gas station. Not a good exit. I've been there with it backed up.
2. Tesla: Marketplace Mall address where there is the existing V2 Augusta, ME Supercharger
3: Hannaford grocery store where there is a V3 Tesla Supercharger
4: Is or was Sunscapes, an awning and other fabric structure company
5: Tesla: Hannaford grocery store. Rockland is currently in the Supercharger voting, so don't waste your votes on it any more!
6: Irving gas station. I'd scouted the neighboring Citgo when I'd seen it being refurbished
7: Building mainly with Flight Deck Brewing. On former naval station.

It's interesting that Tesla has two NEVI bids. To qualify they currently need CCS and contactless card payment, amongst other things, which is a sign that it would be V4.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and MP3Mike
Here's a full map of the DCFCs from the past DCFC Phases 1 and 3 (Dieselgate), and the just awarded phases 4 (ARPA) and 5 (NEVI).

There are other DCFCs in Maine, including 2 Electrify America locations off I-95 south of Portland, but even just those in the map here provide good coverage of Maine.
Number in the blob is the phase.
Green are open.
Orange under construction.
Purple are awarded.
Ellsworth has both a Phase 3 under construction (just awaiting transformer) and Phase 5 planned, managed by the same company, in the same mall.

efficiency_maine_dcfc.png

Here's a full map of the DCFCs from the past DCFC Phases 1 and 3 (Dieselgate), and the just awarded phases 4 (ARPA) and 5 (NEVI).

There are other DCFCs in Maine, including 2 Electrify America locations off I-95 south of Portland, but even just those in the map here provide good coverage of Maine.

Phase one was supposed to have a site on US 302. However, the selectmen in Sebago wouldn't allocate the two parking spaces required for the project. They brought up every anti-EV myth possible during the meeting to discuss the proposal. Then, Bridgton wasn't too enthusiastic about being a host, either. Fryeburg doesn't seem like a possibility. They recently voted to remove their J1772 station. They claim its 6 kW output was costing them over $20/ hr to run, despite the purchase and installation costs being paid by a grant.

Phase one was supposed to have a site on US 302. However, the selectmen in Sebago wouldn't allocate the two parking spaces required for the project. They brought up every anti-EV myth possible during the meeting to discuss the proposal. Then, Bridgton wasn't too enthusiastic about being a host, either. Fryeburg doesn't seem like a possibility. They recently voted to remove their J1772 station. They claim its 6 kW output was costing them over $20/ hr to run, despite the purchase and installation costs being paid by a grant.
A lot of serious EV doubters and haters are not going to be won over until there are EVs literally everywhere they look - in parking lots, in their neighbors' - and in their extended families' driveways. It's coming, but still a bit off. They need the anti-EV myths to be BEATEN out of their heads by overwhelming evidence and others' experiences. Some people are stubborn and slow to learn until the end. It's sad.

Reactions: RiverBrick
Ellsworth has both a Phase 3 under construction (just awaiting transformer) and Phase 5 planned, managed by the same company, in the same mall.

The Ellsworth, ME CCS chargers finally opened. Phase 3 is complete!

Phase 5 (NEVI) RFP: RFP EM-011-2023 - Efficiency Maine
Phase 5 Notice of Proposed Award: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/RFP_EM_011-2023_Notification_of_Proposed_Award.pdf
(Maybe Proposed because it requires further approval for funding?)

Efficiency Maine said:
1. Equilon Enterprises LLC, 322 Stillwater Ave, Bangor, Maine 04401

1. Gas station. Not a good exit. I've been there with it backed up.

Efficiency Maine confirmed that this was canceled (I didn't ask for an explanation) so a Bangor area location was added to the Phase 6 RFP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwgan
I missed that according to fastcharger.info, on December 28th, 2023 one of the Phase 4 locations, Van Buren opened. It has a pair of Chargepoint 80kW chargers. (I assume they are 400V x 200A). (They do show as available on the ChargePoint site).

Van Buren, ME is across the Canadian border from St Leonard, NB. So not a huge enabler for Tesla owners unless they have a CCS adapter and have forgotten their passport. :p But, it could just save the hassle of crossing the border.

Unfortunately for CCS owners it's currently very isolated, 191.7 miles from the closest US CCS at dealers in Bangor, ME.

Update my Efficieny Maine map:
- Phase 3: Ellsworth, ME - 2 x 62kW (combinable for 800V EVs) ChargePoints opened 11/16/2023 or earlier
- Phase 4: Van Buren, ME - 2 x 80kW (combinable for 800V EVs) ChargePoint opened 12/28/2023 or earlier
- Phase 5: Rockland, ME - 8 x "V4" Tesla Supercharger under construction, awaiting transformer.
- Phase 5: Bangor, ME - Shell/Equilon award was withdrawn/canceled and moved to Phase 6

efficiency_maine_dcfc_20240128.png

Phase 6 (NEVI 2) bids were in 1/16/2024, awards to be announced 2/16/2024. The destination DCFC bids are due 3/15/2024 with anticipated award date 5/14/2024.

Reactions: Gwgan
PlugShare says 2 ccs and 2 chademo, but no check ins yet. I have a chademo adapter (available for borrowing) but I’d cross the border for the convenience of a Tim Hortons
Yes, there isn't much in Van Buren. I'm sure some of the people there greet the border protection by first name as they come back with their Canadian McDonalds.

• Funny
Reactions: ArcticStation
Anybody know if the County chargers will be ChadeMo as well as CCS, or just CCS? I already have Chad, just as soon not get yet another dongle. Last time I went to the County towing a trailer, I had to overnight at Houlton KOA to recharge.

Is the dot west of Presque Isle Ashland? I can't find any reference to it.

Last edited:
Anybody know if the County chargers will be ChadeMo as well as CCS, or just CCS? I already have Chad, just as soon not get yet another dongle. Last time I went to the County towing a trailer, I had to overnight at Houlton KOA to recharge.

Is the dot west of Presque Isle Ashland? I can't find any reference to it.

Yes, that is Ashland.

TL;DR: Most or all of the locations will have at least 1 50kW CHAdeMO

My first post in this thread has the original list of locations and their tiers. Of the sites taken in Phase 4 (Round 1) only Tier 1 sites need 1 or more 50kW CHAdeMO.

Fort Kent, Van Buren (open) and Presque Isle are all Tier 1 so will have CHAdeMO Ashland was Tier 2 so wouldn't have to Van Buren is already open and both chargers have CHAdeMO.

They didn't get all sites in the first round, so did a 2nd round and added Medway and Houlton, which were originally in Phase 5 (NEVI Phase 1), to make it easier to get those locations.
In doing so they bumped the original tiers and added a Tier 1 which was the same as the original Tier 1, but "NEVI power ready". So Houlton will have a minimum of 1 50kW CHAdeMO.

Here's the post about it.

I'm honestly not sure whether I got the Ashland Tier right. I might have copied and edited my table from round 1 and forgot to increase the Ashland Tier to 3. The link to the RFP doesn't work any more and I don't have a copy of the PDF. I've emailed Efficiency Maine to ask if the older documents are available somewhere.

I'm honestly not sure whether I got the Ashland Tier right. I might have copied and edited my table from round 1 and forgot to increase the Ashland Tier to 3. The link to the RFP doesn't work any more and I don't have a copy of the PDF. I've emailed Efficiency Maine to ask if the older documents are available somewhere.
Efficiency Maine replied and send me the Phase 4 Round 2 RFP. Ashland was indeed Tier 3 (2 x 50kW+ CCS), so not guaranteed to have CHAdeMO.

Phase 6 (NEVI) RFP EM-010-2024: DC Fast Charging Stations – Maine Phase 6
Notice of Proposed Award: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/RFP_EM_010_2024_Notice_of_Proposed_Award.pdf

1. Gridwealth EV, City of Portland Miss Portland Diner Lot, 140 Marginal Way, Portland, ME 04101
2. ReVision Energy, Hannaford, 295 Forest Ave, Portland, ME 04101
3. Tesla, Hannaford, 44 Moosehead Trail, Newport, ME 04953
4. Dysart’s, Dysart’s Restaurant and Truck Stop, 530 Coldbrook Road, Hermon, ME 04401
5. Gridwealth EV, Airport Mall, 1129 Union Street, Bangor, ME 04401
6. ReVision Energy, Hannaford (with pull-through), 773 Stillwater Street, Bangor, ME 04401
7. ReVision Energy, Town of Rumford River Street Lot, 50 River Street, Rumford, ME 04276
8. Gridwealth EV, Shaw's Plaza, 770 Roosevelt Trail , Windham, ME 04062
9. Nouria Energy, Nouria, 443 Portland Road, Bridgton, ME 04062

1. Good location close to I-295/US-1 for people in Portland or passing through.
2. Hannaford grocery store. Tesla has a 12 stall V2 Supercharger there already. There's 1 crappy EVGo 50kW there, so a major improvement.
3. Hannaford grocery store. Already on Supercharge.info. Delayed until 2025 due to major road construction at the intersection.
4. Dysart's Truck Stop is well know to Mainers. It was an obvious location for the Hermon site.
5. I don't know what traffic is like on Union St, but borderline on distance to the exit. Seems to be 1 mile or more, especially returning to the exit Southbound. Close to Bangor airport.
6. Hannaford grocery store. Stillwater Ave, not Stillwater St. Very close to the dying mall. An Uno could be walkable across the grass in good weather.
7. Desperately needed charging in the Rumford area. Not a _lot_ around, but there are some places within walking distance. There would be an inevitable pizza/sub place very close by but it was undergoing major renovation after damage and no post since August 2023. Or walk towards the river and across the bridge to the small park and enjoy the view of the river. More interesting than many stops. Helpful for access to Rangeley as well, although Rangeley should also get a couple of chargers a few months later. (see RFP EM-011-2024 - Efficiency Maine RFP EM-011-2024: EV DC Fast Chargers at Maine Destinations)
8. More North Windham charging. There's a Supercharger and existing ChargePoint chargers at the Hannaford half a mile away. Shaw's grocery store, walk to a breakfast/early lunch place.
9. Nouria-Irving gas station. Useful location for White Mountains or Bethel.

Added Phase 6 (NEVI Part 2) to map of Efficiency Maine charging initiative sites.
Rockland should apparently open before the end of 3/2024 (from Tesla Charging person who somebody spoke with at the site)
Permit found for the Augusta site.
The Newport 6 is the already-known Tesla Hannaford location that Tesla had delayed.
The biggest additions for coverage are Rumford, filling a non-Tesla gap on US-2, and Bridgton, filling a gap on US-302.
efficiency_maine_dcfc_20240302.png

In addition, not shown here, Electrify America now shows a Coming Soon pin for Waterville, at the Shaw's Plaza on KMD. Plugshare says 6 stalls, but who knows. The NEVI Windham site will also be at a Shaw's. Shaw's is owned by Albertsons (since 2004). Another grocery store chain getting chargers is a good sign.

Phase 6 updated list on 3/14/24

1. Gridwealth EV, City of Portland Miss Portland Diner Lot, 140 Marginal Way, Portland, ME 04101
2. ReVision Energy, Hannaford, 295 Forest Ave, Portland, ME 04101
3. Tesla, Hannaford, 44 Moosehead Trail, Newport, ME 04953
4. Dysart’s, Dysart’s Restaurant and Truck Stop, 530 Coldbrook Road, Hermon, ME 04401
5. Gridwealth EV, Airport Mall, 1129 Union Street, Bangor, ME 04401
6. ReVision Energy, Hannaford (with pull-through), 773 Stillwater Avenue, Bangor, ME 04401
7. ReVision Energy, Town of Rumford River Street Lot, 50 River Street, Rumford, ME 04276
8. Gridwealth EV, Shaw's Plaza, 770 Roosevelt Trail , Windham, ME 04062
9. Nouria Energy, Nouria, 443 Portland Road, Bridgton, ME 04009
BTW is there a table with actual $ values awarded?

Reactions: kayak1
Reactions: kayak1