Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFS Safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the main selling points for the MS has been that I can get the rear facing seats for my kids. I was browsing damaged MS auctions and came across the following car. I'm more then slightly concerned about RFS safety after seeing this car, I'm sure this must have been a bad hit but still I don't think there would have been a good outcome for kids if they were in the RFS in this car.

wcZ2F8R.jpg

RFS equipped cars have had an additional reinforcing crossmember in the rear bumper (details Rear Bumper Reinforcement Project Report - Can Your Tesla Be Safer? Maybe. | Tesla Motors). I once considered self upgrading my car (have already taken the bumper off before to install rear radar detector so I know I don't have this piece installed), but then realized that if you don't have RFS, you actually do want your rear trunk to become a crumple zone that absorbs a good chunk of energy from whatever just plowed into your car from behind. With the reinforcement, that energy will be dissipated on other parts of the car, or push the car increasing sudden acceleration to all passengers.

Early VIN (<56XX??) Model S were all reinforced for RFS. After that it became a factory option only. I think it was a boron reinforcing strut in the bumper, not certain if that is what is used today.

Bottom line, if you factory spec it, it will be designed to reduce the penetration distance of a rear impact. As I am sure you know Elon considers these seats to be safe - designed for his own kids.

I was hit in the rear at about 30 mph while stopped. I don't have rfs or the reinforcement.

The other guy had an old civic which was crumpled to the firewall. The well where the seats go was untouched.

This must have been a large suv or similar at 50+

I read somewhere that the RFS were designed for a speed differential of 50mph (i.e. if you're standing the other car can go 50mph before it dents into the footwell). Don't ask for a link, I can't seem to find it, I could be 100% wrong.

The other thing to be concerned about is that if a large SUV or truck, with a drunk driver, slams into the rear of the car, he'll "jump over" the reinforcements, and crush the RFS.

And finally, in other types of impacts, the RFS are safer due to them facing well... the rear.

In all these discussions, please keep in mind that nothing ever is 100% safe, so any damage has to be looked at relative to what caused it. If the OP's picture was caused by a bicycle doing 10mph relative to the car, then there is a problem, if it was after being hit by a loaded dump truck doing 50mph while the car was stopped, then it's the safest car there is. There is no way to objectively asess the car's safety purely looking at a picture of the car after the accident.

• Informative
Reactions: Tozz and MP3Mike