Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD Air filter

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
This reminds me of a typical engineer.
Never pay someone $100 to do something for you when you can do it yourself and only pay $100 and 4 hours of your time at $90 per hour :D

Reactions: Durzel

Mouxy

Jul 21, 2020
Cardiff
0188328B-1A09-4F37-8206-E43FC7651B07.jpeg
The filters come out from the driver’s side but the top panel has a screw that needs to be removed as well as the plastic clips. Also the screw in the filter cover is really hard to get to because of the pedals

Replacing the filters is an absolute PITA because the pedals and the steering column is in the way so it needs a bit of twisting and some patience.

AndyS3

Oct 8, 2019
London
Switching off aircon, opening recirc to fresh air for 10 mins before arriving at destination, gives time to dry condenser matrix, so bacteria doesn't have a damp surface to multiply on when parked up.

Ive been using this method for years, I have not had a problem since.

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
Cor blimey, they look black for just 1 year. Was hoping to get 2 years out of mine. Do you live in London?!

Good work / effort & thanks for reporting back. If they did the UK service cost inc filters for say is £75 I think I’ll leave this one to Tesla. If the price is more like twice that I’ll follow in your shadow.

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Switching off aircon, opening recirc to fresh air for 10 mins before arriving at destination, gives time to dry condenser matrix, so bacteria doesn't have a damp surface to multiply on when parked up.

Ive been using this method for years, I have not had a problem since.

I believe that Tesla did a software change after initial smell problems that does similar automatically.

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
I believe that Tesla did a software change after initial smell problems that does similar automatically.

source: How much for yearly maintenance

The smell is due to condensation in the filter and surround area growing stuff. Replace filter and use evaporation cleaner. Tesla will service for $100 or so and may offer a discount for late 2018 models. A firmware update resolved this issue by running the fan after the car has been parked a bit to dry out the filter.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Moderator comment - posts moved from Lost UK Accessory Shipment

I have chronic hay fever and I felt changing the filters once the pollen season would be a good idea:

Not sure how effective they are as a pollen filter. Our home MVHR requires the HEPA grade filters to stop pollen. You can get after market HEPA filters which are obviously more expensive. iirc torque alliance in Europe did them or a few in the US.

they are not expensive!!

but a pita to fit RHD Air filter - post moved

Last edited:

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Not sure how effective they are as a pollen filter. Our home MVHR requires the HEPA grade filters to stop pollen. You can get after market HEPA filters which are obviously more expensive. iirc torque alliance in Europe did them or a few in the US.

but a pita to fit RHD Air filter
generally the way filters work is that they just get more and more clogged as they get old. they don't become less effective at filtering so are you guys seeing a drop in air flow? is that why you are changing them? What is the recommendation from Tesla? if its based on the dust bowl that is California I would double it

Marc Roberts

Jul 9, 2019
UK
generally the way filters work is that they just get more and more clogged as they get old. they don't become less effective at filtering so are you guys seeing a drop in air flow? is that why you are changing them? What is the recommendation from Tesla? if its based on the dust bowl that is California I would double it
Tesla recommendation is 2 years. Mine were full of crap. My reasons to replace were 2 years is up, and slightly smelly HVAC, so I also cleaned the evaporator. Much better now :)

Reactions: Durzel

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Nah, done mine recently and it was really pretty easy, two plastic panels on bottom of dash, a little bit of ducting, the side carpet panel, access to the torx screw is easy then. The bit that seems to make the difference is the ducting removal.

(this obviously isn't me :p)
This is a great hands on video, watched it the other day and he goes through each step in painstaking detail (which is great for me, as I'm useless).

Peter 224

May 9, 2021
Salisbury
Marc, great video..looks easy and straight forward.
Watching the Video I now know that I'll pay someone to do it, my ageing body complains for several days if I spend time twisting myself into a footwell....or any tight space.
19 year old mind, 69 year old body..... Unfair!

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
Received my replacement filters from Tesla, impressed to receive them in a padded bag that was made from 60% recycled content and fully recyclable again. The filters are then just loose inside, no unnecessary bags, boxes, instruction manuals etc.

Small things done right.

Reactions: Durzel and Gatsojon

tomorrowman

Mar 10, 2020
Hampshire
Before practicing your contortionist skills you could try an Air Con Bomb

Mixed views on effectiveness but at a price that's low enough that it's worth a try.

Will give it a go at the weekend - no real smells in car, just doing as preventative measure.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Thankfully my car remains fresh smelling so far! Over the years I've seen so many examples of routine maintenance on cars that turns out to be unnecessarily complicated! You would think that by this stage of the game all this kind of stuff would be designed to be easily accessible. It connects with the concept of "right to repair" ... let's add in "ease of maintenance". If it's difficult then people tend not to do it or it costs more to pay someone else to do it.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
Nothing wrong with the smell, my car is just about 2 years old so time to replace. I've watched the video, looks doable, little opportunity for me to break anything.

Envchem

Nov 13, 2019
Liverpool, UK
Just watched the video and I am pretty sure that if I try to do this myself I will probably break the lot :p Better a trip to the SC for me at least heh. By the way I am currently at 33k miles and no smell or deterioration on the performance of the air con unit.

Nick77

Deep Blue Model 3 LR (2021 MIC)
Mar 15, 2020
Burton-on-Trent
I took the drivers Footwell trim off yesterday when fitting a new LED. It really is a piece of cake. The plastic push pins just pop out. You can't break them unless you deliberately try to cleave their heads off with buttloads of force and a really sharp screwdriver.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC