Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD Countries 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no guarantee that the plugin grant will still be available although the automated and electric vehicle bill this year might mean they continue with the grant - at least that is my hope. I also agree that the 40k tax is probably going to hit most of us. The 9k or so that we spend towards extended range doesn't add any "luxury" towards the car so from an EV perspective, it is quite simply wrong. From Tesla's perspective however, there are tools at their disposal to make the extra range available to us - for example, if they can software lock it and charge only a nominal premium at purchase time, we can pay for the range addition later. I am doubtful however whether Tesla UK will want to bother coming up with ideas that benefit their customers. A few months ago, they opened UK's largest Tesla service center in Newbridge, just a couple of miles from where I am and I got to speak to Tesla northern UK head and he simply said we "tried" our best but no luck. To me, the past-tense implied they have given up on trying to convince the government that the luxury tax is unfair for EVs.

To be fair I think there is common ground inbetween the two. Paying £300 a year to drive an EV seems excessive but saying when you have £40k to drop on a car to pay nothing also seems slightly obsurd. My solution would be to scrap the luxury car tax on EVs but charge the minimum rate on the new VED bands which I think is £140?

The way things were going I thought it would be 2020, but the 5K/week means they will arrive next year.
If they can get to 10K/week, then maybe June 2019 is possible

maybe we will at least get the model 3 facelifted version which will probably be due by then.... :/
I'd happily have a LHD over here but unless you live in the NT the government is just being completely unreasonable. + lavish import taxes/tests.