TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

RHD model pictures

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by cpd1, Apr 7, 2014.

1. cpd1

cpd1 Member

Hi all,

Just off the factory tour which was v good. Spotted in the car park by the delivery center, a Model S with the steering wheel on the right side;)
    VIN 34400, so they have made at least one to check things out...

Attached Files:

2. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Good catch!

The wait for owners across the pond is near its end.

3. phil612

phil612 Member

Cool! Great news... I'm RHD 1,309 ahead of this VIN, fingers crossed for the summer...

4. jamieb

jamieb Member

Does anyone know if the icon layout and on-screen controls are the same on the RHD and LHD versions? I have somewhat short arms and find it annoying to reach across the screen in my LHD version to hit the + and - icons on the far right of the Nav Screen. Seems to me that it would be safer to have many of the frequently-accessed on-screen controls along the side of the screen nearest to the driver (aligned vertically) - would entail less reaching by the driver. Would need to be different for RHD and LHD versions of the interface.

5. phil612

phil612 Member

You can pinch to zoom :p

I'm surprised it's a "reach" though, no offence, but you must have REALLY short arms.

6. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

It's pretty easy to mirror the image. I think they would need to at least in some respects (so that the volume control for the stereo is closer to the passenger, etc.)

7. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Well he's a t-Rex, so...yeah.
    17ertniraf3ojjpg.jpg

8. charliestyr

charliestyr EVangelist

Funny I was thinking about the RHD Model S yesterday and had some kind of day dream or thought that they may have forgotten that the wipers should go the other way, glad to see they didn't miss this change out ;-)

Looking forward to seeing them in the UK!

9. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Don't you mean the wrong side? ;)

Just kidding!

Great to see this happening. This opens a huge market for Tesla. Not only the UK, but all of Asia.

10. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Superb find! They are real!;) Guessing that's a mule to test final build... Would have been cool if you saw the charging port to see if it was a UK or Japanese car...

11. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

It's a Type 2 connector like mainland Europe.

Charging port is also on the left, they didn't switch that.

This way UK and Mainland Europe vehicles can charge at the same SuperChargers.

12. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

And Japanese cars have the US connector. Can you see the charging port from the pictures? I must have missed it.

13. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

No, I can't see the charging port. But that's what I've heard. Sounds logical as well.

UK owners travel to mainland Europe en vise versa.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

When describing our proportions I refer to my wife as a T-Rex and myself as an orangutan. So, I understand where the poster was coming from in terms of reach, since your legs essentially determine the seating position. We orangutans have it much easier in cars (and libraries).

15. charliestyr

charliestyr EVangelist

I think J1mbo is wondering whether it was Japanese or UK car as the way to tell that would be Japanese cars have US ports, UK Type 2.

The only way you could tell that is the side marker lights in the tail light cluster, it's a charging light on European cars but side light on US cars. However, no idea how things work in Japan (as to whether they need side markers) and also when the car is off it probably looks the same anyway :tongue:

I'd like to think it's a UK car ;)

16. phil612

phil612 Member

I think it's likely.. first portion of the VIN including restraint system is the same as mine (and mine is a UK car), it's also a 2014 "P" (production) model. So likely the first, or one of the first UK cars.

17. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Technically, most of Asia (by land mass, likely even by # of people) drives on the right... check Worldwide Driving Orientation by Country
    It's South East Asia / Oceania / Australia, Japan, India and neighbors, UK, South East Africa, some Caribbean Islands, Suriname and Guyana...
    So as far as major markets for Tesla is concerned... we're talking Japan, the UK, and Hong Kong. Maybe Australia.

18. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Japan does not require side markers but if there are side markers I think the color must be orange. So you could tell whether it's UK or Japanese by the color of side marker lights. :)

Or you could ask Tesla to open the charge port.

19. cpd1

cpd1 Member

Sadly no picture of the back, guess I was too excited to think about all the details, I wanted to assume it was a UK car just because it would make my June delivery a bit more realistic;)
    Would have loved finding the owner but the reception lady had no idea whose car it was sadly

20. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

As I understand it customers in the UK have already received their VINs, right? So how about starting a thread titled "would the future owner of VIN.......... please raise their hand" ?