Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD Model 'S' - importing ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, Tesla are doing something like the European Delivery Programe that Americans get where they drive their new Benz or Audi in Europe and then get it shipped home?
If I understood you correctly, you get a NZ-compliant RHD vehicle with all the NZ compliance plates under the hood with transit Dutch plates? And then it's your responsibility to ship home? How does 3G work? In Europe AND in NZ?

Not quite. Cars sold out of Europe are exported without the local sales tax being applied (e.g. No VAT on the sale of any UK car exported). But the sales tax is applied on it's arrival into New Zealand by way of NZ GST (Goods and Services Tax). Also the car must go through NZ compliance before it is can be registered and driven on NZ roads. This makes the cost of a car for use in NZ, supplied from Europe, a sum of the sales price of the car (without country of origin sales, compliance and registration taxes) + freight + GST + NZ compliance costs + on-road cost (WOF & registration). The nice thing is that we don't pay any luxury vehicle tax as it crosses the border.

Not quite. Cars sold out of Europe are exported without the local sales tax being applied (e.g. No VAT on the sale of any UK car exported). But the sales tax is applied on it's arrival into New Zealand by way of NZ GST (Goods and Services Tax). Also the car must go through NZ compliance before it is can be registered and driven on NZ roads. This makes the cost of a car for use in NZ, supplied from Europe, a sum of the sales price of the car (without country of origin sales, compliance and registration taxes) + freight + GST + NZ compliance costs + on-road cost (WOF & registration). The nice thing is that we don't pay any luxury vehicle tax as it crosses the border.

Still haven't replied: does the 3G work, how does it work?

Hey guys I'm also very interested in this thread as I'm currently living in Hong Kong which is another RHD country and if I buy my Model S I was wanting to bring it back with my to Australia in a few years.

It would suck so badly if Tesla make it difficult to take your car with you to other RHD countries and offer no support. I can hopefully imagine that the supercharger network will still work with an imported tesla and also that the 3G systems should be identical and work.

Here's hoping because I find it stupid that a forward thinking company like Tesla would penalise you and force you to sell and buy again if they insist that they are a tech company first and a car company second.

They've told me they will not support warranties outside their home location. Further, if you ask for repairs they will repair it to the original country standard not where you are. This is, once again, due to the behaviour of the mainland Chinese, who were importing to China American cars and selling them through dealers. Tesla wouldn't modify them for the new owners to allow charging to the Chinese standard.

VERY important update for kiwis interested in bringing a Model S in from Australia. Tesla Australia have a process in place for you to "take delivery" in Australia without registering or paying any Australian taxes. From that point you can ship the car to NZ and just pay NZ GST on arrival.

VERY important update for kiwis interested in bringing a Model S in from Australia. Tesla Australia have a process in place for you to "take delivery" in Australia without registering or paying any Australian taxes. From that point you can ship the car to NZ and just pay NZ GST on arrival.

That's amazing news! I bet even after paying the additional shipping and GST, it still works out cheaper than for an Australian buying locally.

Few thoughts that quickly jump to mind...
* Maps - NZ included in the aus car?
* Does the included sim let you roam in NZ? or will they use an NZ sim?
* Will they be able to activate the browser/homelink which is deactivated in australia for some reason?

Few thoughts that quickly jump to mind...
* Maps - NZ included in the aus car?
* Does the included sim let you roam in NZ? or will they use an NZ sim?
* Will they be able to activate the browser/homelink which is deactivated in australia for some reason?
I would guess Not yet, No, and No.

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

What about warranty and servicing?
Warranty only valid in Australia (for now). What servicing?