Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD Screen Optimization – Model 3/Y and refreshed S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else find the fact that the windows close icon is located on the wrong side of the screen in RHD countries? I'm not as young as I used to be and find having to stretch over to the far side of the screen to close the window to be a real pain; literally! It may also be a safety consideration as it takes more concentration when driving, to close the window which obviously diverts attention away from the road.

For the current majority of the computer users, the convention is that the close icon is on the top right corner of the screen and I can understand that when the interface was being designed for the Model 3, it made sense for the icon to be moved to the driver’s side for ergonomic reasons but it is a shame that the logic for the move was not adopted when the software was modified to accommodate the RHD layout. [Please, no Windows vs Mac discussion].

If you agree, how do we get visibility on this issue with Elon and get the change implemented?

Reaching the close icon can be annoying yes, but once you discover most UI can be swiped away, it's less annoying, and much easier than aiming for a tiny "X" no matter where it is.

But in general, some other things could be mirrored too, such as the dashcam icon being closer to the driver for quickly saving a video without honking.

My car is AP1, so it may be different on later cars but I find that the first voice command is often not heard as the computer is starting a process. Works really well from then on until you turn the car off again.
I find that more often than not it won't recognise a command, and as often will actually PRINT out EXACTLY what I've said above the voice command icon - and then DO something entirely different! It's particularly keen on setting a different fan speed when I ask it to change the wiper setting. And navigating to some airconditioning shop when I ask to switch that on.

Reactions: paulp