Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD specific issues with v11 UI changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are multiple threads about the v11 short comings on TMC, and several within the UK sub-forum alone. However, I think there is a discussion worth having about things which are particularly bad on the RHD cars. And if I'm wrong, and this doesn't need an entire thread, thank you in advance to the moderators who may end up merging it):

newE0C0A7AC-3079-4C5B-BCDF-0EFCDA7B381E(2).jpg

Wiper control and stalk button in RHD
Tesla puts the wiper button on the end of the left hand stalk, which means in a LHD car you can press the button with your left hand while holding the wheel. Your other hand (the right hand) is used to fine tune the wipe speed or whatever on screen - and you can have that in position ready. However, on a RHD car, the left hand must do both - it will take slightly more time to move your hand from the stalk to the screen (and you have to use your eyes at that point). I was finding the timing tighter than I would like - so would increase the timeout for the wiper controls disappear for RHD.

(In fact, I'd rather the wiper controls stay on screen until something else pops up, because the odds are if the automatic wipe controls are not good enough in the current weather conditions, you're going to be doing plenty more manual adjustments - or at least I find that driving in the UK.)

RHD indicator stalk vs blindspot camera display placement
Same background problem here, Tesla always puts the indicators on the left stalk. That means on a LHD car, your left had will be moving the stalk near the car door, so not blocking your view of the central screen. The right hand might be, but that's a different issue.

The problem with a RHD car is the left hand moving the indicator will be at about position 9 on the clock (even if you usually hold the steering wheel elsewhere for your personal comfort or best view of the screen), which means for me and probably quite a lot of RHD drivers, your left hand/wrist/arm will be obscuring the bottom near side of the screen where the blind spot camera is displayed.

A possible fix for this is to put the blind spot camera above (or instead of) the car visualisation. That might be a popular choice for many drivers (LHD or RHD) depending on how they position their seat and hands?

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be the only one but I quite like V11, always find it interesting when the car updates to see what's been added and I'm not particularly fussy if something i got used to has moved - all part of the journey with Tesla. If I wanted the usual or traditional, predictive layout where nothing changes I would have gone for a mainstream manufacturer.
I don't particularly care either that some minor things don't seem to get fixed with the priority one may expect - like the wipers, or any real advancement with FSD - its an "interesting" development and I for one am content with enjoying the car foibles all included.

A car isn't tailored to just one person - if you would like that kind of development then consider Bentley who will install "ball" rests if you want them. Cars are made to satisfy the majority or at least not annoy the majority and judging by Tesla sales they clearly have got it about right. Tweaks can and should be suggested by owners to make their cars a better fit but just why there is so much criticism and anger at what is at the end of the day a slight software change is beyond me.

I too find using a touch screen difficult to use when driving - my fingers hover over the screen, looking between the road and then the screen and making a stab at the right icon - and usually missing it, Physical buttons are much easier to use - but again its a feature of a Tesla. I set pretty much everything up prior to driving, if i want a new route on the sat nav I stop and do it - but usually have to search for what i want as updates have shifted things again - all the fun of owning this incredible car.
Just use autopilot when using the screen. You know it makes sense!

Reactions: pow216
There are multiple threads about the v11 short comings on TMC, and several within the UK sub-forum alone. However, I think there is a discussion worth having about things which are particularly bad on the RHD cars. And if I'm wrong, and this doesn't need an entire thread, thank you in advance to the moderators who may end up merging it):

View attachment 757354

Wiper control and stalk button in RHD
Tesla puts the wiper button on the end of the left hand stalk, which means in a LHD car you can press the button with your left hand while holding the wheel. Your other hand (the right hand) is used to fine tune the wipe speed or whatever on screen - and you can have that in position ready. However, on a RHD car, the left hand must do both - it will take slightly more time to move your hand from the stalk to the screen (and you have to use your eyes at that point). I was finding the timing tighter than I would like - so would increase the timeout for the wiper controls disappear for RHD.

(In fact, I'd rather the wiper controls stay on screen until something else pops up, because the odds are if the automatic wipe controls are not good enough in the current weather conditions, you're going to be doing plenty more manual adjustments - or at least I find that driving in the UK.)

RHD indicator stalk vs blindspot camera display placement
Same background problem here, Tesla always puts the indicators on the left stalk. That means on a LHD car, your left had will be moving the stalk near the car door, so not blocking your view of the central screen. The right hand might be, but that's a different issue.

The problem with a RHD car is the left hand moving the indicator will be at about position 9 on the clock (even if you usually hold the steering wheel elsewhere for your personal comfort or best view of the screen), which means for me and probably quite a lot of RHD drivers, your left hand/wrist/arm will be obscuring the bottom near side of the screen where the blind spot camera is displayed.

A possible fix for this is to put the blind spot camera above (or instead of) the car visualisation. That might be a popular choice for many drivers (LHD or RHD) depending on how they position their seat and hands?
I'm not an RHD driver, but I can see how these would be beneficial changes for drivers in both positions.

Realised tonight that on selecting a radio station from your list of favourites, you don’t actually have to reach all the way over and hit that part of the screen with the text on exactly.

Weirdly, the empty approximate horizontal space nearer the driver in a rhd vehicle can be touched allowing you to select a station from your favourites. It’s even more hit and miss though than actually hitting the station text bang on, but it does save a reach. Particularly for those of shorter stature or who don’t like their seats rammed up and forward.

Kind of makes you wonder why the designers don’t even make alternate rows in at least some kind of alternate shade, like a table list on word or excel for example. This post would be helped by pics to illustrate my point. (I’ll see what i can do later).

Reactions: Wol747
Gotta agree. Auto-wipers are slow to react at times. And Murphy's law, I've had this happen on a back-road at night. A sudden downpour of rain and the wipers not reacting to it, means basically slow down to a crawl and setting the speed manually.

And another thing...

A text comes in, or the wiper control screen is showing - and someone phones me. Can I get the the 'answer' green button. No, becuse it's hidden behind the former. Grrrr....
Had this the other day. Indicating into a junction and can’t end call as phone icons are hidden behind blind spot camera screen. Que awkward silence as the mother in law says bye but doesn’t put the phone down. Such simple things which unbelievably get past quality control and onto a “finished product”.

There is something odd about the heater sync controls in RHD vehicles too. On LHD, if there is no one in the passenger seat, their controls are disabled. It’s not like that in RHD cars.
I often wondered about this. My wife has a Hyundai Kona E, she can select driver only heating in hers, thereby saving battery. It’s a bugger if I’ve annoyed her though as she’ll turn the heating off when I’m not looking🤣🤣

On rhd cars I find it a slightly inconvenient reach to select the radio station from say the list of favourites.

It’s not helped by the fact the stations are all left justified. Make them right justified and the station names are that bit closer and easier to hit.

I’d also like the rows to be highlighted in alternate contrasts thereby making it clear the area the fingers of your left hand have to hit to select your target radio channel.

Small tweaks, easy fixed and if they chose to do so customisable in preferences you’d think.

On rhd cars I find it a slightly inconvenient reach to select the radio station from say the list of favourites.
The main issue is Tesla employee Mr Tickle to do the RHD testing and he never has a problem.

I agree, and it is more of a problem for RHD than LHD because whilst the panels are mirrored the text and justification within each panel remains left-to-right.

If it becomes more than a slight inconvenience then you may want to consider one of the aftermarket adjustable brackets so the screen is angled towards you and easier to reach.

• Funny
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
The main issue is Tesla employee Mr Tickle to do the RHD testing and he never has a problem.

I agree, and it is more of a problem for RHD than LHD because whilst the panels are mirrored the text and justification within each panel remains left-to-right.

If it becomes more than a slight inconvenience then you may want to consider one of the aftermarket adjustable brackets so the screen is angled towards you and easier to reach.
Or just move the back of my seat up a bit…. Etc.

What I DO find is that I don't find it easy to touch the tiny icons along the bottom accurately enough. I'm VERY right handed and fine movements aren't my strong point. OK, that's MY problem - but making the icons so small in a moving and bumpy vehicle is just - stupid. It's not easy, either, touching and swiping on a vertical screen.
I know just what you mean by being very right handed.👍