Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rheem ProTerra Electric Hybrid Hot Water deals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: nwdiver and Ampster
on sale at HD for 15-16% off...
I needed a 50 Gallon one a few months ago but the lead time was three weeks and I could not wait. I found one at a local plumbing supplier in stock and free delivery for less than the Home Depot current sale price.

not the 50% off i wish it was... anyone install one of these yet? I would think that the compressor would easily start with a powerwall.
I run mine off a 30 Amp breaker and My 5kW Outback Skybox has no issue with the compressor startup. I only run it in heat pump mode which would have the most surge, but is also the most economical mode. The surge must be short enough that it does not show up on any of my reports and I don't have a clamp meter that can tell me the surge. I put one in a home I just sold and another in my sisters home and they are great. I used to run it on a schedule to use Super Off Peak rates but it takes so little power I took it off the schedule and let it run on demand.

Reactions: nwdiver
I needed a 50 Gallon one a few months ago but the lead time was three weeks and I could not wait. I found one at a local plumbing supplier in stock and free delivery for less than the Home Depot current sale price.

I run mine off a 30 Amp breaker and My 5kW Outback Skybox has no issue with the compressor startup. I only run it in heat pump mode which would have the most surge, but is also the most economical mode. The surge must be short enough that it does not show up on any of my reports and I don't have a clamp meter that can tell me the surge. I put one in a home I just sold and another in my sisters home and they are great. I used to run it on a schedule to use Super Off Peak rates but it takes so little power I took it off the schedule and let it run on demand.
These units are fantastic, super efficient, I have them in 2 different homes, great features with WiFi control, leak sensor. I run in heat pump only mode for the 65 gallon model, if we have visitors (3+) I can put in high demand mode, never run out of hot water.

Reactions: nwdiver
not the 50% off i wish it was... anyone install one of these yet? I would think that the compressor would easily start with a powerwall.

I don't have the Rheem but I do run a POS GE Geospring on a 4.4kW off-grid inverter. The compressor kicking on is a bit harsh but it runs it. I wish Rheem would put a VFD in these already... maybe their 5th generation units will have it.

I just locked in the rebate from our local utility for one ($1000 WOOHOO). That plus the $350 fed credit and it's paid for (for a 50 gallon). I just have to go buy it and install it. I'm also planning on plumbing the cold air into the AC system for summer and bypassed into the attic for winter so it should add even more efficiency.

it's currently a gas water heater.. I am moving to a new house so they won't will have to estimate by sq ft instead of consumption
How many bathrooms and folks frequent the house? Rheem has a number of sizes and even has 15amp units, this might help if ur panel or service is limited. The 65 gallon unit only draws about 375-400 watts when in heat pump mode and is recovering, it doesn’t happen quickly but depending on the the number of people and other uses that may be fine. I have a 50 gallon unit in the attic of our beach villa, due to size and space considerations. I keep it in high demand mode when we have 4 or more people there, with a little management from the app the units are super versatile. If u have affordable rates at night you can schedule when it is on and what temperature too.

My only complaint is the WiFi will occasionally drop unexpectedly, when dozens of other devices are fine. I have solved this for our remote locations by installing a GE zwave 40 amp capable energy monitoring switches, I can cycle the power remotely and the WiFi will reconnect, this is critical for rentals and weekend/vacation homes.

How many bathrooms and folks frequent the house? Rheem has a number of sizes and even has 15amp units, this might help if ur panel or service is limited. The 65 gallon unit only draws about 375-400 watts when in heat pump mode and is recovering, it doesn’t happen quickly but depending on the the number of people and other uses that may be fine. I have a 50 gallon unit in the attic of our beach villa, due to size and space considerations. I keep it in high demand mode when we have 4 or more people there, with a little management from the app the units are super versatile. If u have affordable rates at night you can schedule when it is on and what temperature too.

My only complaint is the WiFi will occasionally drop unexpectedly, when dozens of other devices are fine. I have solved this for our remote locations by installing a GE zwave 40 amp capable energy monitoring switches, I can cycle the power remotely and the WiFi will reconnect, this is critical for rentals and weekend/vacation homes.

2 bath and will be 2 folks residing there. with guests occasionally. based on some quick research it seems 15amp models will still require 240v outlet? as far as energy efficiency is 15 amp model still as good as 30 amp?

I will eventually replace my high efficiency tankless gas water heater with a hybrid electric one. However, the most practical way to get power for it would be to repurpose one of my EVSE circuits since it goes right past the water heater. I would really like an EVSE that has integrated PCS (Power Control System) to adaptively modulate the EVSE so that the upstream circuit is not overloaded. In my case, I would convert the 50A EVSE circuit to a sub-panel and wire the water heater and EVSE into that panel. The EVSE would monitor the 50A feeder and when necessary, modulate the EVSE to not exceed 40A total on that feeder. I have never seen a UL listed EVSE that can do this. This kind of feature is available in European EVSE.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
OT Has anyone looked at Solar heaters? They were popular w/ AZ state credits during 2009 Jobs act, but didn't catch on

Solar heaters are pretty much a scam these days. Any decent solar heater is usually going to run >$3k, I have a friend that paid >$7k. For ~$2500 you can get a greater reduction in energy use with a Heat Pump and ~500w of solar PV.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Solar heaters are pretty much a scam these days. Any decent solar heater is usually going to run >$3k, I have a friend that paid >$7k. For ~$2500 you can get a greater reduction in energy use with a Heat Pump and ~500w of solar PV.

that's what I thought too. We have tons of sun here in PHX, but nat gas is pretty efficient too. Also 6 months/yr water is naturally warm too.

Apparently Heat pumps are going to be the "in thing" with new fed credits in the Infrastructure bill. I'm going to do a wait and see when I replace nat gas heater

I have the 45 gallon version of this Rheem Hybrid Heatpump water heater. I have had it since November of 2020. I love it but it does make some noise so you are better off having it in the garage or outside of the house. The byproduct is cold air, so I like the free air conditioning it provides for my garage. We are a household of 3 (of which the two females take really long showers) with a 3500 sq. ft. house. We use about 150 kwh per month.

If you are in SCE utility are, you get $1000 back from SCE at point of purchase. Then on your federal taxes you get back $300. My net cost with tax was about $150.

I have the 45 gallon version of this Rheem Hybrid Heatpump water heater. I have had it since November of 2020. I love it but it does make some noise so you are better off having it in the garage or outside of the house. The byproduct is cold air, so I like the free air conditioning it provides for my garage. We are a household of 3 (of which the two females take really long showers) with a 3500 sq. ft. house. We use about 150 kwh per month.

If you are in SCE utility are, you get $1000 back from SCE at point of purchase. Then on your federal taxes you get back $300. My net cost with tax was about $150.

Is 45 gallons big enough for 3 people? How often does it go into resistance mode?