TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rhino Hide

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by garyjac, Feb 11, 2016.

1. garyjac

garyjac Member

G'Day All,

One location in Model S that can use a layer of Rhino Hide (OPVC) is the aluminium inserts in the driver's and passenger side door sills. These would be pretty prone to scratching. Just carefully roll on a strip of this stuff and trim around the edges. When it wears, strip off and replace. The tape is clear and keeps the metal looking like new.

Regards,
    Gary

2. timpoo

timpoo Member

hey thanks for the tip Gary I'm going to try it

3. paulp

paulp Member

Great tip, thanks.
    Another part I found prone to damage is the door pillar leather / plastic being scraped by my jeans studs on the way in. I cut a small square of cloth tape (matches almost perfectly) and placed it at the strategic position. No more scratches.

- - - Updated - - -

where do you get rhino hide?

4. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

Ebay is a good start

5. TesAus

TesAus Member

That is is definitely a high wear area. The model S car they had on display at Shepherds Bush in London when I went in there a couple of years ago was worn right through in that area. A display car obviously gets a lot more in and out movements than your average car, but it still highlighted the issue.

6. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Please pray tell me you are not really referring to Rhino as in the Rhino the animal.

7. garyjac

garyjac Member

Yes, available in small quantities on eBay. A metre by 150mm is tons for the job and a few replacements down the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! I should say "yes" and await the shrieks :biggrin: but it is OPVC film as noted in the original post.

8. ColinA

ColinA Member

i looked on eBay and there is a standard version and a thick version. Which one would you recommend?

9. garyjac

garyjac Member

I used the thin (standard) version. Very tough stuff and a bit easier to handle than the thicker material. The trick is to roll on a strip that's longer and wider than the "Model S" logo in Aluminium and then carefully trim around that shape with a snap knife.

10. ColinA

ColinA Member

Cool, thanks... I've ordered some from Ebay: Rhino Hide - This seems lime a good idea!

11. alpal

alpal Member

Me too!