Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rhode Island National Grid "Conditional Approval"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JaeTheDev

Supporting Member
Jun 28, 2020
Westerly, RI
Been waiting for about 8 weeks since my solar/powerwalls install for PTO here in Rhode Island. I looked up my NG projects app status, and it now shows "conditional approval". Ive heard nothing from Tesla and getting a hold of my project advisor is impossible, so Im not quite sure what to make of this.

Any experienced insight?

Screen_Shot_2022-01-16_at_9_59_30_AM.png

Tesla needs this approval in order to proceed with the install of the system/PW. Once the installation is complete they call for local inspection. After inspection they send a close out package to NG. Which includes a ton of pictures along with the passing inspection. I believe National Grid has 7 days from the point to install a meter if all the pictures are correct.

I’m NG in MA. I believe it means NG has approved their side of the project so Tesla can proceed. It becomes approved once you get a net meter and approval to interconnect.
Tesla needs this approval in order to proceed with the install of the system/PW. Once the installation is complete they call for local inspection. After inspection they send a close out package to NG. Which includes a ton of pictures along with the passing inspection. I believe National Grid has 7 days from the point to install a meter if all the pictures are correct.

I called Tesla today. They said this is the approval to operate. Should be up and running by Friday.

As for the meter, pics, inspection, etc., all that was done in late November. Its been crickets since.

I called Tesla today. They said this is the approval to operate. Should be up and running by Friday.

As for the meter, pics, inspection, etc., all that was done in late November. Its been crickets since.
They are wrong. On NG site it goes from conditional approval to completion documents to meter install to connected(PTO). If you already have your meter I would turn on your system anyways. When National Grid installs their new meter you should have gotten a email from them saying all is a go. If you want to DM me I can send you the information that sent me around PTO. Also you would have more luck dealing with the local Taunton office for PTO questions

Last edited:
When National Grid installs their new meter you should have gotten a email from them saying all is a go.
That's funny. I dealt with NG for VTOU service, so had an SCVTOU meter. I called up NG after my completed install, and they just came out and installed the Net-VTOU meter. So I've been sitting here since 8/20 waiting for Tesla to get off their duffs and send in the paperwork. My inspection was the same day (8/20), and when I talked to NG about the net meter they stated that they couldn't even input the changeover job if they didn't already have the inspection results. (That was 3 days after my system was installed.)

I had the same problem with NG RI and Tesla. It was completely Teslas fault the entire time. They submitted the wrong documents more than once, they never sent over any paperwork saying the install was complete, they constantly blamed National Grid.

That's funny. I dealt with NG for VTOU service, so had an SCVTOU meter. I called up NG after my completed install, and they just came out and installed the Net-VTOU meter. So I've been sitting here since 8/20 waiting for Tesla to get off their duffs and send in the paperwork. My inspection was the same day (8/20), and when I talked to NG about the net meter they stated that they couldn't even input the changeover job if they didn't already have the inspection results. (That was 3 days after my system was installed.)
Exactly once the net meter is installed you should be good to go. They can't install that without the inspection and close out picture package. Once that is done they have to install the meter within 10 days(I think). After the net meter you are good to go.

Exactly once the net meter is installed you should be good to go. They can't install that without the inspection and close out picture package. Once that is done they have to install the meter within 10 days(I think). After the net meter you are good to go.
Good to go where? Yes, my system is producing power, but no PTO, so no exporting, even with the net meter installed. Tesla hasn't submitted the paperwork for PTO yet. (152 days and counting)

Good to go where? Yes, my system is producing power, but no PTO, so no exporting, even with the net meter installed. Tesla hasn't submitted the paperwork for PTO yet. (152 days and counting)
In RI the last step that is supposed to be completed is the meter install. Within 12 hours of receiving my meter I received my PTO email from NG. Things may have changed since 2019 when mine was installed though

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Same here in RI - install finished on Nov 15 -- latest email 2.5 months later from Tesla

The project is waiting for the utility to unlock the PTO portal. We will update you as things progress. We do not have a date yet for that to happen. As soon as we do, we'll let you know.
Thanks for your patience

Not sure what to do - who to bug...

Same here in RI - install finished on Nov 15 -- latest email 2.5 months later from Tesla

The project is waiting for the utility to unlock the PTO portal. We will update you as things progress. We do not have a date yet for that to happen. As soon as we do, we'll let you know.
Thanks for your patience

Not sure what to do - who to bug...

Where are you in RI? We ended up getting our PTO around April 2022, right about the same week RI Energy took over.