Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rial Lugano + Michelin X-ice - what "traction device" to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally ordered my set of winter wheels & tires for my trip to Tahoe: Rial Lugano & Michelin X-Ice, 19inch - 245/45R19.

Now I'm looking for "traction devices": which is basically chains or similar devices accepted by DMV/DOT.

I know that in all likelihood I will not need them on my P85D. However I'd like to have "something" in case of emergency (so I have an alternative to "getting stranded"), and to show authorities when asked at a checkpoint (especially in R2 conditions).

There's the $400 Tesla "chain" option (which is sold out), the Z-563 cables (which looks like the same thing Tesla used to offer) for a quarter of the price, and auto socks (which seem to be accepted by DMV here in CA).

I'm leaning towards getting the Z-563 cables, as they seem reasonably priced and should be more reusable than the auto socks for the same price. Those don't seem to go in the front (because of clearance with suspension arm), but should go OK in the back (can anyone confirm?).

I am worried that the cables could damage the Lugano rims though...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers -

So I finally ordered my set of winter wheels & tires for my trip to Tahoe: Rial Lugano & Michelin X-Ice, 19inch - 245/45R19.

Now I'm looking for "traction devices": which is basically chains or similar devices accepted by DMV/DOT.

I know that in all likelihood I will not need them on my P85D. However I'd like to have "something" in case of emergency (so I have an alternative to "getting stranded"), and to show authorities when asked at a checkpoint (especially in R2 conditions).

There's the $400 Tesla "chain" option (which is sold out), the Z-563 cables (which looks like the same thing Tesla used to offer) for a quarter of the price, and auto socks (which seem to be accepted by DMV here in CA).

I'm leaning towards getting the Z-563 cables, as they seem reasonably priced and should be more reusable than the auto socks for the same price. Those don't seem to go in the front (because of clearance with suspension arm), but should go OK in the back (can anyone confirm?).

I am worried that the cables could damage the Lugano rims though...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers -

why would you need chains with snow tires? they should be fine

What a positively ridiculous rule. If they actually required winter tires instead of all seasons in their "snow tread tire" section, there'd be no reason for traction devices... (if it gets to the point that actual winter tires can't safely get through, the road should not be open.)

I'm not disagreeing with you... but I have to deal with our current laws and I don't think anyone is going to win an argument with an officer at a checkpoint no matter how silly s/he may think the law is.
Also you have to show them (not put them on) @ R2 checkpoints. Read here.