Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Rial Lugano "Tesla Turbine" 19x8.5" wheels now accept your Tesla center caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Doc, I just wanted to thank you for helping me with the Rial's I bought for my winter tires in the fall. I love the rims!

I was just pricing out another set to use in the summer, and I noticed that your site still insists on forcing custom TPMS sensors on me when I select the Rials, despite the fact that many people on here (myself included) have proven that the OEM sensors work great with these wheels, and at half the price of the custom sensors you're pushing. I let you know about this a few months ago when I got my wheels, do you have any plans to fix this on your website?

We always give the customer an "opt out" on the sensors if you want to get them locally;

tpmsoptout.jpg

We can leave the wheels in their shipping boxes and keep the tires loose for assembly on your end, or install standard (rubber) stems and mount and RoadForce balance at no charge prior to shipping. Naturally, you will need to research if sensors are required by local laws, etc.

We always give the customer an "opt out" on the sensors if you want to get them locally;

We can leave the wheels in their shipping boxes and keep the tires loose for assembly on your end, or install standard (rubber) stems and mount and RoadForce balance at no charge prior to shipping. Naturally, you will need to research if sensors are required by local laws, etc.
Not on these wheels, the popup says that the wheels can not accept the standard tpms and force yours instead. The option is to buy the tpms, or pick a different wheel.

This is why I had to complete my last order over the phone instead of online, because online there was no possible way to buy the wheels without the tpms (even though I wasn't even buying tires! )

You should really change this as these wheels work perfectly with tesla's tpms sensors at half the price of the ones you're trying to force on me.

Screenshot.png

The part in Red is 100% false, there are many people on here using the OEM TPMS sensors on these wheels (including me!) and nobody on here has ever posted a problem doing so.

This is especially offensive as I am not trying to buy tires, so obviously the liability can't apply, and even if it did, I don't live in the USA, so NHTSA rules don't apply to me anyway!

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a silly question: do the OEM tires fit on these rims?
I am leasing a new MS due to arrive next month. I was thinking about putting these on, and putting the OEM rims back when I turn the car in after 3 years.

Not on these wheels, the popup says that the wheels can not accept the standard tpms and force yours instead. The option is to buy the tpms, or pick a different wheel.

This is why I had to complete my last order over the phone instead of online, because online there was no possible way to buy the wheels without the tpms (even though I wasn't even buying tires! )

You should really change this as these wheels work perfectly with tesla's tpms sensors at half the price of the ones you're trying to force on me.

View attachment 110849

The part in Red is 100% false, there are many people on here using the OEM TPMS sensors on these wheels (including me!) and nobody on here has ever posted a problem doing so.

This is especially offensive as I am not trying to buy tires, so obviously the liability can't apply, and even if it did, I don't live in the USA, so NHTSA rules don't apply to me anyway!

Sorry for the error, this is the first time I've seen this pop up. I'll get that fixed ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps this is a silly question: do the OEM tires fit on these rims?
I am leasing a new MS due to arrive next month. I was thinking about putting these on, and putting the OEM rims back when I turn the car in after 3 years.

The stock tire (245/45R19) can fit any wheel between 7.5" and 9.00" wide, and the Rial Lugano is right in the sweet sport at 8.5" wide. The OE tire can be transferred safely.

Last edited:
Thank you for addressing this!

To be clear, it is Tire Rack's opinion that the OE sensors should not be used in the Lugano. The body of the OE sensor has small "feet" that extend down from the sensor body, and those feet will touch the wheel's drop center before the valve stem seal is flat against the valve hole / opening. The valve body should not touch the inside of the wheel or the drop center, otherwise we risk a leak where the valve grommet meets the surface. WE have to modify the sensor to correct the angle the sensor needs to clear the drop center and seal properly. Forcing the OE sensor into the wheel can get the grommet to seal, but not reliably.

It is the customers' decision to use the sensors we recommend or not, with the understanding that Tire Rack cannot speak to the reliability or durability of any sensors other than the one we recommend.

littlefeet.jpg

When I test-fit the sensors before taking them to the tire shop for installation, I did not see this issue. The tire shop I used also did not find any problem. Many people on here use this combination, and none have reported any issues, nor have any reported a tire shop reluctant to install this combination.

I understand that TireRack can not be held responsible for any item they did not provide, however I feel that the large warnings about using the OEM sensors with these wheels are unwarranted.

Love the look of the graphite silver, especially if the Gunmetal is not usable with Tesla caps.

Would love to see a photo of the graphite silver actually on a car though (not a photoshop). Bonus if it's on a white or silver Model S!

Here is the Rial Lugano Graphite with silver accent, on metallic gray car. No bonus points...but I do love the contrast on the wheels themselves.
image-20151227_105520.jpg

Reactions: Astraviel
By popular demand, Tire Rack is pleased to offer the Rial Lugano "turbine" wheel in 19x8.5 now machined to accept your original equipment center caps for the Model S ! Manufactured in Poland, the Lugano is available in two finishes;

View attachment 63123Graphite SilverView attachment 63124Bright Silver

Perfect for winter tires, the Lugano has proven to be a durable and cost effective alternative to "factory" wheels !

We have a limited supply of the "first generation" wheels remaining (will not accept Tesla caps), so be sure to select the "Lugano OE Cap" model when ordering.

If 21" wheels are more your style, don't forget that our friends at Axis wheel offer a turbine style wheel (also accepts OE caps) as well...

Feel free to call in with any questions !

:smile:
where are you guys located?

We will have to patiently wait for a Model 3 to make its way to Indiana for evaluation and measurement. I'd like to think that Model 3 will use the same 5x120 bolt pattern and 64mm centerbore that Model S and Model X currently have, but we won't be able to even guess at backspacing / offset without putting our mitts on one.

We will have to patiently wait for a Model 3 to make its way to Indiana for evaluation and measurement. I'd like to think that Model 3 will use the same 5x120 bolt pattern and 64mm centerbore that Model S and Model X currently have, but we won't be able to even guess at backspacing / offset without putting our mitts on one.

In this forum people have confirmed that:

235/40R19
Size: 19X8.0″
Offset: +40
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm
Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft.

235/45R18
Size: 19X?″ (I will guess 8" as well based on tire size)
Offset: +?? (hope it will be +40 to +45)
PCD: ?????
Center Bore: ????
Lug Nut Spec: ?????
Lug Nut Torque Spec: ????

This means that the 19 inch Rial Luganos will most likely fit and you can put a 235/40R19 tire on it. That's my plan. The offset for Luganos is 32mm instead of 40mm, which makes the rim further from the brake components. Also the wheel is .5 inches wider so this brings the net movement to .56 inches of the wheel sticking out more from the wheel well. Shouldn't be any rubbing as the inner part of the rim is further away from the brake components as a whole as well:

"Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 1.7mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 14.4mm more than before. "

Will They Fit - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator

I'll be getting 4 Rial Luganos with Michelin PA4 tires with 4 TPMS (433Mhz) sensors... I'll be one of the first guinea pigs as I'll buy the set-up before my car is delivered and switch them out after I drive it home LOL...

November 2017 - January 2018 Long-Range Model 3 Delivery time for me...

In this forum people have confirmed that:

235/40R19
Size: 19X8.0″
Offset: +40
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm
Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft.

235/45R18
Size: 19X?″ (I will guess 8" as well based on tire size)
Offset: +?? (hope it will be +40 to +45)
PCD: ?????
Center Bore: ????
Lug Nut Spec: ?????
Lug Nut Torque Spec: ????

This means that the 19 inch Rial Luganos will most likely fit and you can put a 235/40R19 tire on it. That's my plan. The offset for Luganos is 32mm instead of 40mm, which makes the rim further from the brake components. Also the wheel is .5 inches wider so this brings the net movement to .56 inches of the wheel sticking out more from the wheel well. Shouldn't be any rubbing as the inner part of the rim is further away from the brake components as a whole as well:

"Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 1.7mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 14.4mm more than before. "

Will They Fit - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator

I'll be getting 4 Rial Luganos with Michelin PA4 tires with 4 TPMS (433Mhz) sensors... I'll be one of the first guinea pigs as I'll buy the set-up before my car is delivered and switch them out after I drive it home LOL...

November 2017 - January 2018 Long-Range Model 3 Delivery time for me...

Well, all I can say is that you would not be able to return anything once they have been damaged or driven on........If you were to test fit them and they looked "too close for comfort", you could return the items for a partial credit (you would be responsible for all shipping charges as well as restocking fees)...... As soon as we get some specifics I'll be sure to let everyone know !

Well, all I can say is that you would not be able to return anything once they have been damaged or driven on........If you were to test fit them and they looked "too close for comfort", you could return the items for a partial credit (you would be responsible for all shipping charges as well as restocking fees)...... As soon as we get some specifics I'll be sure to let everyone know !

Yes I realize that if I buy it I can't return it. Hopefully you'll get the information sooner than later.